Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who are the candidates for the Ireland job?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

RikkFlair wrote: »

zenga puts his name forward for everything and shouldn't be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I don't think the farming out of players has to stop in order for the national team to prosper, in fact quite the opposite.

I think that is the area that needs to improve. The players leaving the country need to be better prepared to make it wherever they land.

The knock on effect of that might mean players left behind might improve our own league.

Whatever about anything else, it has got feck all to do with the new manager or the one just gone. The senior team is about the here and now approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

I've said it before.

Gus Poyet, get him before Sunderland do. I think he'd be an excellent manager, especially with younger players coming through. The era of Keane and Duff is at it's end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Poyet to Sunderland is pretty much a done deal according to the press. Football Weekly were also saying that Martin O'Neill is being lined up by Fulham to replace Martin Jol... Jol for Ireland?

of course there's always the possibility Noel King's boys will hammer Germany and Kazakhstan and he'll be given the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hiddink linked in today's Indo :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its MON.

Dont be getting yer hopes up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Its MON.

Dont be getting yer hopes up

Not if Fulham or someone else gets him first ;)

Not if Fulham or someone else gets him first ;)

True hopefully he will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Balls!!! Holloway just became a free agent. Bet he's now jumped to the top of Delaney's list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I give up on international football if Holloway was appointed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

O'Neill for Palace job????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

O'Neill for Palace job????

Pulis seemingly nailed on for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

just got word the o neill has been offered the irish job, accepted and will be announced in the next couple of days.

Do with that what you will!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Just got the word from who?

cant reveal the source but its close enough to the FAI to be believeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Dear god if its O'Neill I expect to be disappointed (results wise, enthusiasm or lack of it (fan wise) take McCarthy given the alternatives...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Pulis seemingly nailed on for it.

First signings Rory Delap and Peter Crouch - let the bombardment begin

Check out the markets lads, theres serious wonga being put on him 11/10 in from 5s yesterday, and mick is on the drift out to odds against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Like any manager who would be appointed I'd be supportive.

Hope the supposed pot of money isn't being all blown on him though. Thought I was done with his tactics at Villa, now will have to watch it Internationally :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Holloway is in the same category as Mick McCarthy - good at getting teams promoted to the EPL, bad at keeping them there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Seemingly MON met Houghton/Doktor during the week and didn't commit himself to taking the job. shouldn't that be enough of that then?

Give it to MM instead, at least he isn't trying to see if he can get another club before taking the job.

plus we will have to endure another 3-4 years of hoofball under MON.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Mick McCarthy on being asked yet again in a press conference if there "was any change with the Ireland situation"...
    “No, it’s still in the same place, just across from Liverpool and Manchester. If you’re going to go and visit it there are flights from Stansted and Southend, Aer Lingus or Ryanair.”

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Mick McCarthy on being asked yet again in a press conference if there "was any change with the Ireland situation"...

[HTML]“No, it’s still in the same place, just across from Liverpool and Manchester. If you’re going to go and visit it there are flights from Stansted and Southend, Aer Lingus or Ryanair.” [/HTML]

:pac:

Anyone else read that it Mick's accent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

jossnjuice wrote: »
    Check out the markets lads, theres serious wonga being put on him 11/10 in from 5s yesterday, and mick is on the drift out to odds against.

It wouldn't take serios wonga to get hm from 5's in 11/10 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Holloway is in the same category as Mick McCarthy - good at getting teams promoted to the EPL, bad at keeping them there.

Yes because Holloway qualified a team to the world cup and then got them through the group stages :rolleyes:

MON can go away now. He either wants it or not.

Personally I'm delighted if he did not get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Please not Martin O'Neill.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

pajopearl wrote: »
    Balls!!! Holloway just became a free agent. Bet he's now jumped to the top of Delaney's list.

Not a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Mick is now odds on with most bookies, with MON slipping out to 2's.

Some more quotes from Mick's press conference over the weekend when he was asked if he had met with the FAI delegation:
    “Yeah, they came and stayed with me last night at the hotel. All of them came and stayed with me and we had a good meeting. Did I b******s. No, nothing.
    “When am I going? (told Monday). Well will somebody book me a ******* flight then?!

“I’ll tell you where I am on Monday. I’m at a signing session at David Lloyd in Ipswich at 10.30, I’ll be at the training ground before that at quarter to seven, me and TC will be watching the game back ahead of Friday. You’re free to come and have a chat with me at quarter to seven, please feel free.

“Then we’ve got a game against the Nike Academy and I’ll be involved in that. And then I’ll be flying to Ireland!”

I'll give Mick one thing- he does a great press conference!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Perhaps somewhat of a non-story today in the Indo, but seems like FAI are pushing MO'N for a decision by end of the week.
    I'd be happy enough to see O'Neill take it, but think FAI are right, if he doesn't actively seek it then he should be ruled out.
    (The likelihood is that Noel King will be manager for the Nov 19th friendly in Poland, looking forward to the post-match interview already!)

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/fai-demand-answer-from-oneill-ahead-of-board-meeting-29712799.html
    THE FAI Board of Management have been summoned to a Monday board meeting to determine the next step on the Ireland manager front, but the intentions of Martin O'Neill will set the agenda.
    O'Neill is the preferred candidate to replace Giovanni Trapattoni and knows the FAI want an answer from him by the end of the week so they can press ahead.
    But with influential figures favouring a move for the 61-year-old, they may be prepared to give their choice more time if he is leaning towards the Irish post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

I cant blame Mick if he tells the FAI to stick it. Hes second choice and knows it . Would be far better though and actually wants it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

I cant blame Mick if he tells the FAI to stick it. Hes second choice and knows it . Would be far better though and actually wants it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Paully D wrote: »

Martin O'Neill now 1to9 for the Ireland job:D. Martin O'Neill for Ireland? Yes please.

It will end in tears if MON gets it.

A sad day if he does.

It will end in tears if MON gets it.

A sad day if he does.

Nonsense. He's the outstanding candidate for the job, I hope it happens and I'm sure he'll be a great success if it does happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Martin O' Neill is Trappatoni without the PR skills and the competence in dealing with players. Two of them are as tactically one-dimensional as each other. Why on earth anyone could want O'Neill if they wanted Trap out is beyond me.

Would be a terrible appointment. After the initial high, it'll be literally the exact same as Trappatoni, down to the way people will call for his head for his system.

Lennonist wrote: »
    Martin O'Neill now 1to9 for the Ireland job:D. Martin O'Neill for Ireland? Yes please.

Aye, it looks like he has it. Lets hope he bothers to turn up for this job, unlike his last.

A poor, stale appointment.

As I said before, he'll start well, get found out, and then neither have the ability nor motivation to turn it around.

Aye, it looks like he has it. Lets hope he bothers to turn up for this job, unlike his last.

It will be an utter disaster either way.

I'm going to say nothing more 'til it's confirmed either way, all I'll say for now is that if he does take the job I'm sure he'll be a big success. I really hope he takes the job, as it appears he's the number 1 choice and rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Aren't Australia after Van Gaal,why don't Ireland show that kind of ambition & get a man who actually wants his team to play football?
    This talk of our players not being able to pass the ball around is nonsense,last time I checked that was the basic method of playing football.When they went off script during the Trapp era they actually played some ok stuff.
    M O' N is nothing without his coach & this showed in his last job,it'll be more of the same with the Ireland team:2 or 3 passes and knock it long with a big man up front & Robbie Keane playing off him.

As I said before, he'll start well, get found out, and then neither have the ability nor motivation to turn it around.

This is exactly my prediction too

Lennonist wrote: »
    I'm going to say nothing more 'til it's confirmed either way, all I'll say for now is that if he does take the job I'm sure he'll be a big success. I really hope he takes the job, as it appears he's the number 1 choice and rightly so.
    O' Neill cannot coach which is quite high on the list of attributes a successful manager should have.

No John Robertson to help him out at sunderland and results suffered as a result.

zerks wrote: »
    Aren't Australia after Van Gaal

Exactly the type of appointment Ireland should look to make and when you look at the caliber of some managers who are working out in the desert or places equivalent to Craggy Island, it proves that they will come if the money is right.

Unfortunately the FAI would never spend the required money and the fact they have to get outside help to fund the cost of their manager says it all.

But hey, O'Neill jumps up and down on the sideline so I'm sure everything will be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Wont be too bad if its only to 2016. Just hope it isnt a huge long term deal that the FAI wont be able to break when things go south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

But hey, O'Neill jumps up and down on the sideline so I'm sure everything will be great!

We can get Davy Fitz to do that.

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Wont be too bad if its only to 2016. Just hope it isnt a huge long term deal that the FAI wont be able to break when things go south.
    don't understand that logic, why appoint him at all then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

who_ru wrote: »
    don't understand that logic, why appoint him at all then?

For the Euro's. If he makes a balls of it, we can replace him fairly quickly. If he does well, give him a new contract. Performances determine if he stays or goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Jose Mourinho jumps around on the sideline too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

To the lads suggesting Van Gaal: he's currently managing the Dutch national team, so he's not going anywhere. Hiddink on the other hand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

zerks wrote: »
    Aren't Australia after Van Gaal,

No, and they never were.

• Advertisement
Advertisement