Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who are the candidates for the Ireland job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Keane and Mon... Good lord, I can taste the fallout from here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

My wager was for more confident individual here.

Ill get **** all odds in bookies:pac:

Not sure you know much about betting on football. I'd say the bookies will offer generous odds on Ireland not qualifying if O'Neill takes over, which is what you say you want to bet on. The odds on Ireland qualifying with O'Neill at the helm would be a lot shorter I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I trust you.

But can I ask where you heard that mate?

Sorry, can't. But it is the first time I've ever quoted 'sources' on Boards. Can't see it working myself

oldyouth wrote: »
    O'Neill manager, Roy assistant. Sounds strange but good sources

They could have a good cop/bad cop routine type of thing going on:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lennonist wrote: »
    Not sure you know much about betting on football. I'd say the bookies will offer generous odds on Ireland not qualifying if O'Neill takes over, which is what you say you want to bet on. The odds on Ireland qualifying with O'Neill at the helm would be a lot shorter I reckon.

I know enough to know that Ireland have always been odds against to qualify for major Championships including Euro 12. In 04 it was Evens(best price)

Unless of course you can tell me otherwise

oldyouth wrote: »
    Sorry, can't. But it is the first time I've ever quoted 'sources' on Boards. Can't see it working myself

No worries lad.

Ya agree cant see it working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

No worries lad.

Ya agree cant see it working.

They were discussing it on newstalk but I missed the start of the conversation so I don't if it's a rumour that is in the public domain or just some speculation they were discussing.

I know enough to know that OIreland have always been odds against to qualify for major Championships including Euro 12. In 04 it was Evens(best price)

I'd say if they get a quality manager like O'Neill and a decent draw for the Groups, (a 2nd seeding would help there), then with the expansion of the Euro Tournament Ireland would be near enough to evs to qualify for Euro 2016.

JPA wrote: »
    They were discussing it on newstalk but I missed the start of the conversation so I don't if it's a rumour that is in the public domain or just some speculation they were discussing.

I be shocked if it did happen but I guess in football you should never be shocked. Cant see it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

what exactly is Keane bringing to that package - he's a worse manager than O'Neill, doesn't like authority (so would probably walk out before he got the chance to succeed to the top job, which presumably is the idea)., and would be very divisive for the fans...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

COYVB wrote: »
    Keane and Mon... Good lord, I can taste the fallout from here

"He wouldn't set foot on the ******* training ground. A ******* manager and he wouldn't set foot on the ******* training ground."

:pac:
    loyatemu wrote: »
    what exactly is Keane bringing to that package - he's a worse manager than O'Neill, doesn't like authority (so would probably walk out before he got the chance to succeed to the top job, which presumably is the idea)., and would be very divisive for the fans...

Maybe a winning mentality? Someone to light a fire under the players, etc.
    Some of the stuff people said Trap should have done.

I don't buy the divisive stuff, things start going well and people forget that stuff pretty quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Aenaes wrote: »
    "He wouldn't set foot on the ******* training ground. A ******* manager and he wouldn't set foot on the ******* training ground."

:pac:

Maybe a winning mentality? Someone to light a fire under the players, etc.
    Some of the stuff people said Trap should have done.

I don't buy the divisive stuff, things start going well and people forget that stuff pretty quickly.

It didn’t work at Sunderland or Ipswich so how do you think it would work with the national team ?

On the MON thing, as I said on this thread before I think he did his best work at Wycombe and Leicester, getting good results from limited resources.
    It would be great if he could reproduce that sort of managerial expertise if he were Ireland manager

But then again did he actually get good results with limited resources at Leicester or did he spend spend spend there too, relative to what a team like that used to spend before he arrived ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I know enough to know that Ireland have always been odds against to qualify for major Championships including Euro 12. In 04 it was Evens(best price)

well hats hardly a surprise is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

cson wrote: »
    That'd be an interesting choice.

Pat Fenlon won't get it. The only possible ex - LOI contender is Kerr.
    Or Roy Keane, technically speaking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

Love / Hate - O'Neill / Keane

well hats hardly a surprise is it?

No its not.

The surprising bit was part I was responding to if you bothered reading it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

We'll be equally sh1t as before but at least it'll be entertaining. How hard will Dunphy go on Keane? Who will he have a bust up with? Will there many more lads sent international exile as a result?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

2 failed managers cant be worse than one that won a lot.

No its not.

The surprising bit was part I was responding to if you bothered reading it;)

Not sure if you know much about football betting or football in general, but sure hopefully you'll have potential to learn.

• Advertisement

Not sure if you know much about football betting or football in general, but sure hopefully you'll have potential to learn.

lol.

Oh look at you o great one.

Im not worthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

A car crash of a managerial appointment if ever there was one. Looks like it is a done deal. I certainly won't be going near a RoI match whilst they are in charge.

Cant see Roy thing being true.

My theory is that papers know O Neill gets job, but Roy is added to sell papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ugh, wake me up in four years.

I can't see Keane being a number 2 to anyone. Not that sort of person.

That would end in tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Gibson be new captain I presume with Roy involved he loves guys that walk away from there manager. Going be hard to watch if this is true we are officially a joke of a country. Will Keane want rid of all the lads with English accents too?

Gibson be new captain I presume with Roy involved he loves guys that walk away from there manager. Going be hard to watch if this is true we are officially a joke of a country. Will Keane want rid of all the lads with English accents too?

11 years ago.

Roy and Mick have moved on.

Let it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

will there be a scramble for tickets for the latvia game now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

11 years ago.

Roy and Mick have moved on.

Let it go.

Il let it go if he gives a public apology to everyone for his actions. How can you walk out at a WC and then 11 years later be involved managing them without saying it was wrong what he did? Say Sorry Roy or your not welcome on that bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

will there be a scramble for tickets for the latvia game now :P

JD and the FAI certainly hope so. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm not sure I like the idea of O'Neill and Keane together unless it's as some sort of sitcom pilot idea. I could get behind Martin O'Neill as the calm Jerry Seinfeld figure with Keane playing the manic Kramer role. Not sure who could be the George Costanza figure but I'm thinking Liam Brady wouldn't be a bad shout.

lol.

Oh look at you o great one.

Im not worthy.

Sorry mate, can't do smilies on the mobile, but I'll remind ya of a tip once everything falls into place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

George Caulkin of the Times on his Twitter account says he spoke to O'Neill twice today and O'Neill's part is virtually done. He says Keane is keen to get on board as #2 and both he and O'Neill already have a good relationship (I presume from getting to know each other during their time at ITV).

O'Neill and Keane. Bloody hell :pac:

Sorry mate, can't do smilies on the mobile, but I'll remind ya of a tip once everything falls into place.

well show me those odds when you get them bobby.

Paully D wrote: »
    George Caulkin of the Times on his Twitter account says he spoke to O'Neill twice today and it's virtually done. He says Keane is keen to get on board as #2 and both he and O'Neill already have a good relationship (I presume from getting to know each other during their time at ITV).

O'Neill and Keane. Bloody hell :pac:

Nuts if true.

Nuts. Keane as number 2 makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think the Keane link is that they both have worked together on ITV.

Having a poor mans Trappatoni is bad enough, his assistant being a person who thought it was more important that his own ego was stroked than keep his head down and do his best for his country would be the icing on the cake really. How many players will be ready to shove that in his face when he starts barking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Whilst it could be the best thing Roy Keane could do, ie, going in as an assistant, or allow him self to be mentored, to further his managerial career. I really can't see it being in a position under the FAI.

well show me those odds when you get them bobby.

I will say now that if O'Neill takes over Ireland, Ireland will qualify for Euro 2016, you've said the opposite. I think that's fairly clear bud.

I will say now that if O'Neill takes over Ireland, Ireland will qualify for Euro 2016, you've said the opposite. I think that's fairly clear bud.

2nd seeds then I expect top 2. Playoffs by coming third is no achievement unless we do well in Euros.

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    I think the Keane link is that they both have worked together on ITV.

Having a poor mans Trappatoni is bad enough, his assistant being a person who thought it was more important that his own ego was stroked than keep his head down and do his best for his country would be the icing on the cake really. How many players will be ready to shove that in his face when he starts barking.

A poor mans Trapatoni? You know better than that.

2nd seeds then I expect top 2. Playoffs by coming third is no achievement unless we do well in Euros.

I think you're hedging your bets a bit.

Im willing to wager he wont get us top 2 spot for Euros if he does indeed get the job.

It aint good enough. Simple as.
    I think you're hedging your bets a bit.

quite clear from earlier.

You dont seem to be able to grasp football betting yourself it seems;)

Now we move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

We covered this ground already, I've little interest in covering it again tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You dispute that Trappatoni is a superior manager to O'Neill? :confused:

quite clear from earlier.

You dont seem to be able to grasp football betting yourself it seems;)

Now we move on.

We'll have to see the Groups and if Ireland gets a 2nd seed spot and crucially if O'Neill is ratified. I would be supremely confident of a top 2 place once those possibilities fall into place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

This is going to be amazing.

Dempsey wrote: »
    We covered this ground already, I've little interest in covering it again tbh

We have. Like I said before with yourself in particular, if O'Neill gets the job we'll find out who is right and who is wrong.

We have. Like I said before with yourself in particular, if O'Neill gets the job we'll find out who is right and who is wrong.

Surely you're not saying O Neill is a better manager than Trap? Not fit to be even mentioned in the same breath tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

[QUOTE=Fr Tod Umptious;87300781]It didn’t work at Sunderland or Ipswich so how do you think it would work with the national team ?

[/QUOTE]

Worked perfectly well when getting Sunderland from the foot of the championship to the Premier League in less than a season. He has shown great talent as a manager, as well as many downfalls. Maybe as a coach, we will get the best of his better qualities.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Surely you're not saying O Neill is a better manager than Trap? Not fit to be even mentioned in the same breath tbh

Obviously not Trap's overall career, which I dont think he was saying to be fair. A manager who will go to games and manage not to alienate 5/6 of an already tiny pool of players is already a step ahead of the Trap we seen post 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Christ some of the comments in here actually makes me more ashamed to be Irish than the come on you boys in green brigade and thats some achievement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement