Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who are the candidates for the Ireland job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

SlickRic wrote: »
    a Big Ron/El Tel/ Fletch from Dream Team.

fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

ebbsy wrote: »
    Keane - I would'nt watch them and would hope they finish bottom.

Why would you ever want your country to finish bottom of a group, regardless of whether you like the manager or not? Mind boggling.
    Lennon - that would be interesting, inspirational if nothing else.

Do you honestly see him leaving Celtic to manage Ireland?
    Kerr - Clueless.

Chris H - See Kerr.

Chris Hughton - clueless? He did a fine job at Newcastle (most people will agree his sacking was a complete surprise). He had a very good season at Norwich last season, and is building a good team. Calling him clueless is a joke, tbh. He wouldn't leave a very good Premiership job for us.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm humming the dream team theme tune now, damn you slick. I wouldn't mind but I probably only watched the first couple of seasons, if that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

SlickRic wrote: »
    a Big Ron/El Tel Dream Team.

Suit them perfectly. They could manage the team, then sell the punters some used furniture off the back of a truck outside the stadium afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

The FAI may go for their "World Class Management" option again.

So, Kevin Kilbane with Otto Rehhagel as International Football Consultant on How To Win Tournaments with 11 Workhorses.

What about Trigger?

What about Trigger?

with Barnes?

What could go wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Ian Dowie doin anything?

Yeah Trigger, Barnes & big Tony Casc as the team dietician
    Ian Dowie doin anything?

Looking beautiful on SSN let's leave him there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Owen Coyle' name might get thrown about as someone that is managing currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

razorblunt wrote: »
    Owen Coyle' name might get thrown about as someone that is managing currently.

Not sure he would leave Wigan this soon after joining them, Dave Whelan probably is paying him a tidy sum to get them back to the premiership.

Trap should have been sacked after the Germany game, then he would have been a good call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I got the impression Denis O'Brien stumped up cash for Trap, because he really wanted us to go somewhere after the Staunton debacle.

I had assumed we wouldn't be getting a handout this time around, the FAI are on their own?

I got the impression Denis O'Brien stumped up cash for Trap, because he really wanted us to go somewhere after the Staunton debacle.

I had assumed we wouldn't be getting a handout this time around, the FAI are on their own?

And I think he has said as much, that's why realistically you are not looking at a high profile manager than currently has a job

Hopefully he will pay off the rest of Traps contract too by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

ambid wrote: »
    In fairness, O'Neill was far better than "decent".

He had Leicester competing in the top half of the Premier League and had Celtic competing for European trophies. Neither club has come anywhere close to that level of success since he left. He was far better than merely "decent" at each of those clubs.

One Uefa cup run masks alot of failure in the champions league

• Advertisement

Is O'Brien paying for Trapps second contract too?

If so, he may stump up for someone like Hiddink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I be more concerned about grass root football and people within the FAI than getting new top class manager.

The game is rotten to the core on so many levels here.

Niall Quinn would not be good manager but he might do good job in this department along with Kevin Moran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ex-players (usually from the 90s) seems to be a route many countries have gone down.

is there any Irish ones who have done their coaching badges bar Keane?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Can't believe no one has mentioned him....

GARY BREEN!

Is O'Brien paying for Trapps second contract too?

If so, he may stump up for someone like Hiddink.

tbh I don't know.
    Had just assumed he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Some shocking suggestions here.

People need to realise that we need someone who can lift the squad, morale is at an all time low. Thats the priority. not whoever is flavour of the month tactically. A motivator in the mould of Kevin Keegan.

Actually Keegan himself would be a good shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What about Trigger?
    with Barnes?

What could go wrong?

Prenton Park says hi! (although they were better than Ray Mathias & Kevin Sheedy)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Dempsey wrote: »
    One Uefa cup run masks alot of failure in the champions league

Precisely. And Strachan did arguably a better job than O'Neill at Celtic. Didn't he get them out of the group in the CL, something O'Neill failed to do.

O'Neill is a mediocre manager with an awful style of football. The fact some people are suggesting he is no longer committed to managing rules him out to me if it's true. All he has is commitment and enthusiasm and if that's gone then he isn't much use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Tony Pulis? He'd bring Delap back for the long throws!

Personally I'd like a manager that has a technical coach's mind, some like Rene Meulensteen. I'd love to see someone like him come in and work with the senior and U-21 teams. I know it's ambitious but if we could get the younger players playing and training well and build it from the bottom up I think it would do us wonders. Not sure that type of long term view would be shared by the FAI though.

Basically I think we have a decent squad who have been trained by Trap to fear taking chances. They've been told they aren't talented enough to play attractive football so they need to keep it basic. Sadly our early results and Euro qualification probably made them think he was right.

I'd love someone who could come in and change that mentality and get some belief back into the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Then you have complete idiots who'd want the Ireland team to fail

to be honest, this will happens no matter who is in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Am I completely alone in my Zeman for Ireland campaign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Eamon Dunphy and John Giles both advocating MON on the radio this morning.

Depressing isn't it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I think if we had Mourinho or Pep in charge we still wouldn't have qualified for WC14.

Our players are just not up to it at the moment.

We needed a few breaks in the early Sweden and Austria games (both games could have been won).

We didn't get them and lost our chance.

I'd like the next manager to look at what players are available and build a team and playing style which is suitable to our strengths.
    This will NOT have us playing like a Spain or Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If Martin O Neill gets the job we deserve all the **** we can get.

No thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Hell no, you're not. With him we might get some football like Foggia and Lecce. Also with any luck he doesn't speak English and we can keep Manuela on.

Probably still won't qualify for anything but at least the games will be exciting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Dickerty wrote: »
    Interesting. A bit of an enigma - did well at Boro, got himself the England job which he wasn't ready for, but did incredibly at FC Twente. So he obviously has some coaching and motivation skills about him. Maybe.

Not sure - with our weather, it would cost a fortune in supplying brollies....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I imagine the list of candidates will reflect how desirable the job is. Some people may be disappointed when their "championship manager" list of airy fairy candidates are ruled out one at a time.

I'm just surprised that some moron hasnt suggested Jose Mourinho yet.

I imagine the list of candidates will reflect how desirable the job is.

This is a good point.
    Like any open job position, you can apply if you want.
    The FAI will have their list but if anyone feels they can do a job, I'm sure they will throw in their hat.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Trap officially gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

yup, John Delaney on Newstalk right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

GIOVANNI TRAPATTONI AND Marco Tardelli have left their Republic of Ireland posts “by mutual consent”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Martin O'Neill the outstanding candidate for the job. I would be very happy with his appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I for one completely support Zemenlandia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

dont know whats worse, Pat Kenny or the cringy texts that he is reading out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Lord no. We'd be nothing if not entertaining with him in charge. At least we'd go out there and play some football.

And he's proven before he can get the best out of lesser teams(Foggio, Leece and Pescara).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I think we should look outside the box, my list would include

Rene meulensteen
    Glen Hoddle
    Carlos queiroz
    Slaven Bilic

Outsiders
    Greame Souness
    John Aldridge
    Steve McLaren

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

dont know whats worse, Pat Kenny or the cringy texts that he is reading out.

Listening to Pat Kenny in the first place is the worst of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭briany

No matter who Ireland gets in, I have an awful feeling that he's not exactly going to be able to turn Ireland around from being a habitual practitioner of the long ball or suddenly have the composure and game to defend slim leads. These won't be traits that will be 'managed' out of the Irish team, I think, but they can at least be de-emphasized.

The new manager should strive to foster a good relationship with all eligible players, be someone who can command the dressing room, look to form a cohesive unit and make Ireland tactically fluid. The team's become a bit of a one note joke, I think, and not that far above, in terms of reputation, where they were when Stan was getting sacked.

Roddy Collins talked about, before the Euros, that the kind of football Ireland were playing would lead to catastrophe and turn the nation off to such a degree as to set the progress of the game in Ireland back by a number of years. He was exaggerating a bit to bring his point home but what he's saying is basically correct; we've paid a pretty heavy psychic cost for that Euro qualification. Trap rode a wave of popularity to a new contract and so couldn't be budged even when it became apparent that the team was well and truly found out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

No sir you most certainly are not!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Zeman for fecking president and all.

I could actually see his 4-3-3 (which is really just a 4-5-1 with advanced wingers) working well with our players.

A midfield 3 of Gibson, McCarty and Meyler behind a front 3 of Pilkington and brady supporting one of Long/Keane/Walters/Cox/whoever would be pretty competent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Bring back Steve Staunton

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

If Martin O Neill gets the job before Mick McCarthy i'll just move underground for the duration of his contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

In my opinion Chris Hughton should be No. 1 realistic contender for the Ireland job when it vacates.
    As an ex Irish international with over 50 caps to his name and at 54 years of age he would have the passion, communication skills and respect coupled with his agreeable age to not just Manage the senior team but put in place a philosophy to develop the underage groups.
    He has coached the U21s and reserve teams at Spurs before being made Coach and given the caretakers role twice while at the club.
    He was also coach at Newcastle and while caretaker manager got promotion from the championship.
    When dismissed from Newcastle, players and ex-players like Alan Shearer were outraged.
    He then brought Brmingham to 4th in the championship loosing to a Blackpool team who were promoted.
    His first season at Norwich seen them gain mid table respectability.
    He has great respect with the players and his training sessions are disciplined while all the time youth is given a chance, while also giving a player an opportunity when deemed good enough.
    He sets his teams up by judging the opponents ability’s and changes his teams to combat these, if a team is of similar ability to his, he does play positivity to get the result whereas if they are stronger identifies their potential weaknesses and try to exploit them.
    With his knowledge of the players in England coupled with his underage coaching and managerial roles this is why my man that the FAI should do everything in their power to employ Chris Houghtan as Ireland manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Was listening to a bit of what Delaney was saying. From what I could gather, they will appoint a new manger by the end of next week. It looks like they are going for O'Neill a journo (John Brennan i think it was) said they had already sounded him out on the job through informal contacts.

I'd be in favour of appointing O'Neill, but they'd want to make sure he's really up for it. If he is, he'll get them punching above their weight and in contention for qualifying for the next Euro's, also if they do get to the Euro's in 2016 he'll send them out with confidence and no fear of whoever they would be facing. That is the key difference - and not the only one - between O'Neill and Trap, O'Neill will instil confidence in the players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Whoever gets the job should be on a strict contract until the European Championship campaign ends, be that when we are eliminated from qualifying, or from the tournament itself. A new contract can be discussed then and only then.

I am not saying sack the new guy if we do not make it. But if we are as abject as what we have been during this campaign it should be an immediate cheerio.

• Advertisement
Advertisement