Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who are the candidates for the Ireland job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I think we need someone who'll throw out Traps old tactics board and get the balls out in training and get the lads coming in with smiles on their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I think we need someone who'll throw out Traps old tactics board and get the balls out in training and get the lads coming in with smiles on their faces.

Steady on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Bert van Marwijk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

elefant wrote: »
    Steady on!

The Van Gaal school of management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

I would like to see Mick McCarthy get it. At least he trys to play the game the right way and non of this long ball crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

billyhead wrote: »
    I would like to see Mick McCarthy get it. At least he trys to play the game the right way and non of this long ball crap
    Its not about the long ball or the short ball.

Its about the right ball.

But i would like to see Mick back as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

aramush wrote: »
    Heres a wild idea, could we not look for a manager with proven international experience?
    Trapattoni?

Trapattoni?

Bert van Marwijk .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Can we get someone who actually speaks English for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Denis O'Brien will be bankrolling for the next two years...expect a big name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

MON would be a bad appointment, but he'll have muppets like Dunphy championing him for the job( a 'world class' manager) so expect him to be in the managers seat. I kinda want to see it just so Dunphy turns another full circle when he sees what MON will do with the Irish team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Don't understand why he's still doing this. Why would you bankroll half a managers salary when you know the amount of wasters in the FAI taking home big salaries every year for doing flip all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

I would pick Chris Hughton, but I can't see why he would leave Norwich.

Hughton definitely looks like the pick of the candidates being mentioned. But agree with you, he'd be mad to leave Norwich and can't see him doing it.

I really hope this talk of O'Leary is just idle speculation. Could only see that ending badly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

For the next two years and then he'll stop? Can you fill us in on why you say for two years and not 1 year or 10 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Don't understand why he's still doing this. Why would you bankroll half a managers salary when you know the amount of wasters in the FAI taking home big salaries every year for doing flip all.

He's probably able to recoup it as business expenses or something. But rest assured, he's not just giving away a million euro a year. Thetes bound to be some form of contract there and he probably gets it back if they qualify for a tournament????? Total speculation of course.

• Advertisement

YayaBanana wrote: »

Why did he bankroll Traps appointment? Maybe he felt it would shield him with goodwill from the public in relation to the Moriarty Tribunal. I'm curious about the further two year timeframe suggested above, a general election would be due around then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Personally I think Brian McDermott would be a great long term appointment who would get the most of this Ireland squad whilst getting them to play a more modern brand of football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

When people say 'he wouldn't leave his job for ireland' this isn't football manager, these are real people who weight up the perks of a job, i'm sure a manager would be enticed by the prospect of a good paypacket with much less workload than the day to running of a football team.

Lennonist wrote: »
    For the next two years and then he'll stop? Can you fill us in on why you say for two years and not 1 year or 10 years?

Delaney was quoted on RTE saying he is on board again for at least two years. I presume whoever they get will have a two year contract.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2013/0911/473636-obrien-will-again-provide-funds-for-irish-manager/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Id like to see Mick back. I think he would be mad to take it though after the amount of abuse he took last time after doing a very good job

• Advertisement

EdenHazard wrote: »
    When people say 'he wouldn't leave his job for ireland' this isn't football manager, i'm sure a manager would be enticed by the prospect of a good paypacket with much less workload than the day to running of a football team.

If O'Brien stumps up the same kind of dough again it will entice a lot of managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

Id like to see Mick back. I think he would be mad to take it though after the amount of abuse he took last time after doing a very good job

Every Irish manager has taken his share of stick while being shown the door. He may be more annoyed with himself for not bowing out after the WC. That would have been a good way to go. He also would have known that the team was heading into stormier waters after Roy's departure and could leave while still on a relative high.

EdenHazard wrote: »
    When people say 'he wouldn't leave his job for ireland' this isn't football manager, these are real people who weight up the perks of a job, i'm sure a manager would be enticed by the prospect of a good paypacket with much less workload than the day to running of a football team.

In true FM style, get them to manage club and country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

elefant wrote: »
    In true FM style, get them to manage club and country!

I don't know is that realistic.
    I found managing both a club and country draining in FM...I can only guess that it's more draining in real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If people consider Martin O Neill a big name, sweet jesus.

Interesting stat this morning, if you remove Celtic from Martin O Neills CV, he has one of the lowest win rates from any coach/manager that has been linked with the vacant position. Mick McCarthy has a better win rate...

I'm being vocal from the start that O'Neill is not the solution, and will be another million a year flushed down the drain. I'm failing to see anything outside of the media bumlove for O'Neill which makes me think he could be good in the job.

*The removal of Celtic from his CV is apt, considering you would have to be a moron not to get results in a two team league. Tony Mowbary had a good record with Celtic if you look on paper : /

I don't know is that realistic.
    I found managing both a club and country draining in FM...I can only guess that it's more draining in real life.

Sure Pep can just go on holiday for the easy games- no bother!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Why on earth did they publicly announce that DO'B would be bankrolling the position again? In doing so they just obliterated any bargaining card the FAI might have had.

Current scenario:
    FAI: So, candidate A- your credentials look good on paper. What kind of salary did you have in mind?
    Candidate: I'll have all the money that DO'B has publicly said he will commit.
    FAI: Oh right, yeah...

So, not only can we expect an underwhelming appointment such as MO'N- but he will be on more money than if they had just keep things quiet and negotiated properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

bohsfan wrote: »
    Why on earth did they publicly announce that DO'B would be bankrolling the position again? In doing so they just obliterated any bargaining card the FAI might have had.

Why did John Delaney do something stupid?

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I would like to see McCarthy given another chance, if he wanted it. He did a great job with Ireland last time, before Roy-Gate anyhow.

I think Keane would fall out with too many people. Have to be a good people person to run a team. Having endless drive and perfection is great for an individual player but I could see it as grating coming from a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

TheDoc wrote: »

*The removal of Celtic from his CV is apt, considering you would have to be a moron not to get results in a two team league. Tony Mowbary had a good record with Celtic if you look on paper : /

Another contender

Might aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Martin O Neil would be not be favorite choice but he is the most likely. What i can't understand unless i am mistaken TheDoc is totally against O Neil. Yet is in favor of Munesteen to take over somebody who has never managed a game. This is just bizarre to me. He is highly rated as a coach that is all well and good. But he won;t be coaching these players their clubs will. If he goes and does something as a manager maybe in the future he is a candidate. But he should be no candidate until he proves he is a decent manager.

On my candidates i would like Brian Kerr. He has good knowledge of Irish football and has good knowledge of the underage set up. He is an Irish man who did a decent job before i would like him to get another shot.

Also i wouldn't mind seeing McClaren. Like Mulesteeen is a very highly regarded coach. Except he also has a decent record as a manager and more experience. Worked under Ferguson in his first season with United they won the treble. Won the league cup, a Dutch league and managed England although not a huge success.

Obviously people like McCarthy and Houghton are popular. But we are not going to be able to attract any manager who is employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Munesteen has to start somewhere in the trade so why not Ireland....
    Also I wouldnt mind seeing Kerr in the frame again, thats of course if he learned from his mistakes from the last time like any good manager should.
    Mick and Chris can be forgotten about but both would be equally welcome in my eyes.

And in micks case if he does leave ipswich to join the fai and he wins the next two games easily against germany & Khaz and then quits to manage luton town while giving the fai the finger........
    I wouldnt blame him one bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If Martin O'Neill is being considered (on the back of what he did in the SPL) why is Walter Smith not being considered? I think Smith would be a much safer bet than O'Neill and he has good international experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

don't think we should go for mccarthy and kerr, they've had the job before and under kerrs time we should have at least got to the playoff in that wc group, it petered out very badly. i'd rather roy keane be given a chance, other decent candidates would sean o'driscoll, brian mcdermott , but the FAI should make every effort to get chris hughton

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

LUFC Official ‏@LUFC2m
    Brian McD says he is proud to be linked with the Ireiand job but is "100% committed" to #lufc

Phil Hay ‏@PhilHayYEP4m
    McDermott on Ireland job: "One day I want to manage ROI. But I'm at a fantastic club. I owe them and the supporters. I'm committed 100%"

Thom Kirwin ‏@Thomkirwin2m
    Brian McDermott says he's '100% committed' to #lufc but does admit he's full of pride to be linked with Ireland Job.

LUFC Official ‏@LUFC1m
    Brian McD says he feels like he has been adopted by the #lufc fans and says he has a job to do here

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

JokerD wrote: »
    LUFC Official ‏@LUFC2m
    Brian McD says he is proud to be linked with the Ireiand job but is "100% committed" to #lufc

Phil Hay ‏@PhilHayYEP4m
    McDermott on Ireland job: "One day I want to manage ROI. But I'm at a fantastic club. I owe them and the supporters. I'm committed 100%"

Brian McDermott says he's '100% committed' to #lufc but does admit he's full of pride to be linked with Ireland Job.

LUFC Official ‏@LUFC1m
    Brian McD says he feels like he has been adopted by the #lufc fans and says he has a job to do here

Wonder if Brian McDermott is up for the Ireland job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Would absolutely hate to see O'Neill bring another 4-4-2 to Ireland. Cannot fathom why people are on his bandwagon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

JokerD wrote: »
    LUFC Official ‏@LUFC2m

Phil Hay ‏@PhilHayYEP4m

LUFC Official ‏@LUFC1m

Headline in tomorrows Yorkshire Evening post

'McDermott turns his back on United for Digicell billions'

Bert van Marwijk

Isn't one of the fai's new directors dutch too?

He led the dutch to the finals of the world cup 3 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Bert van Marwijk

Isn't one of the fai's new directors dutch too?

He led the dutch to the finals of the world cup 3 years ago.

Only if he brings his assistant Ernie Faber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

In all likelihood we are going to end up with someone like Paul Jewell. He's available and would likely come pretty cheaply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

In all likelihood we are going to end up with someone like Paul Jewell. He's available and would likely come pretty cheaply.

He has been out of the public eye for a few years but is the kind of guy who gets good results from average squads, which is one of the qualities needed here.

Not sure how 'sustainable' his tactics are though, if I recall he usually had a good first year with a team and then a poor second one, which may have been a case of other teams becoming wise to how his teams setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

He has been out of the public eye for a few years but is the kind of guy who gets good results from average squads, which is one of the qualities needed here.

Not sure how 'sustainable' his tactics are though, if I recall he usually had a good first year with a team and then a poor second one, which may have been a case of other teams becoming wise to how his teams setup.

I doubt that was the reason. Fergie rarely changed formation or tactics in all the time he managed United for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

Lets get him for one year then. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Joe Kinnear as caretaker for the last 2 qualifiers just so he can tell that RTE reporter to "fack off"

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »

Interesting stat this morning, if you remove Celtic from Martin O Neills CV, he has one of the lowest win rates from any coach/manager that has been linked with the vacant position. Mick McCarthy has a better win rate...

I'm being vocal from the start that O'Neill is not the solution, and will be another million a year flushed down the drain. I'm failing to see anything outside of the media bumlove for O'Neill which makes me think he could be good in the job.

Where's this stat? Can you link to this stat that you're talking about please?

Is Mick McCarthy's years as manager of Wolves and Sunderland when they were 2nd tier sides as he got both promoted from the Championship included in this comparative analysis of yours?

Are you including Mick's time managing Millwall in the 2nd tier in England before he managed Ireland and his time in the Championship now with Ipswich in your statistical analysis? Bar managing Ireland Mick McCarthy has spent most of his career managing in the 2nd tier in England. You're statistical comparison is totally misleading and bunkum.

It's amazing that a comment that purports to refer to statistics but is not linked to anything concrete will get 4 "thanks". Some people see what they want to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Lennonist wrote: »
    Where's this stat? Can you link to this stat that you're talking about please?

Is Mick McCarthy's years as manager of Wolves and Sunderland when they were 2nd tier sides as he got both promoted from the Championship included in this comparative analysis of yours?

Are you including Mick's time managing Millwall in the 2nd tier in England before he managed Ireland and his time in the Championship now with Ipswich in your statistical analysis? Bar managing Ireland Mick McCarthy has spent most of his career managing in the 2nd tier in England. You're statistical comparison is totally misleading and bunkum.

It's amazing that a comment that purports to refer to statistics but is not linked to anything concrete will get 4 "thanks". Some people see what they want to see.

Jesus Christ, phantom stats or not, you are coming off just as badly by criticising a statistic you admit you don't even fully know the details of yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

pajopearl wrote: »
    He's probably able to recoup it as business expenses or something. But rest assured, he's not just giving away a million euro a year. Thetes bound to be some form of contract there and he probably gets it back if they qualify for a tournament????? Total speculation of course.

So to summarise..."rest assured" you are making statments based on "total speculation"

:pac::pac:

noodler wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, phantom stats or not, you are coming off just as badly by criticising a statistic you admit you don't even fully know the details of yet.

:confused: I'm talking to the guy who put up the post about stats that some people want to believe without them being properly linked to. I'm calling bullsh1t on his so called stats.

There appears to be an anti MON agenda among a certain cohort in this forum and I'm calling bullsh1t on that agenda. Thankfully it will have zero influence over whether MON gets the job or not:pac:.

The job will be offered to him as their first choice it appears and it'll be his decision to take it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Ormus wrote: »
    I doubt that was the reason. Fergie rarely changed formation or tactics in all the time he managed United for example.

That's simply not true.

• Advertisement
Advertisement