Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who are the candidates for the Ireland job?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

So you would be surprised if MON or McCarthy etc get the job???

Well you my friend are in for a shock !

Maybe I will be, but at the end of the day if the FAI can offer $1.5m + a year they will attract more than just O'Neill and Big Mick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

yabadabado wrote: »
    Ireland will still be 3rd seeds for the Euro draw and isn't there even a outside chance they can be second. We won't be fourth seeds anyway.
    Ireland has had an awful fixture list since June 2012 , played beat Kazakhstan and the Faroe Islands(x2) in competitive fixtures, so its not too surprising we have fell down the FIFA rankings, not many if any other country has played so many top teams in the last 15 months.
    I'd hardly call Austria and Sweden top teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Would anyone take Curbs? I posted this a couple of years ago but I'll pop it up again.

I would take Curbishley. Gets a bad rap because he comes across as boring in interviews and he was sacked by West Ham. However he had Charlton punching above their weight for years and years, left and they fell apart and then he took over at West Ham and saved them from relegation in 2006 with a run of 7 or 8 wins in a row.

Finished in the top ten with them the following season, followed that by winning 2 of the opening 3 games in 2008 and was fired because they foolishly wanted Zola. West Ham subsequently fell apart after firing him. As he is out of work and has been for a while I think he might be interested and would be a near perfect candidate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Where did I call them top teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

If Lennon got the job, I would feel compelled to emigrate somewhere where access to football is forbidden. Classless man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

CSF wrote: »
    If Lennon got the job, I would feel compelled to emigrate somewhere where access to football is forbidden. Classless man.

Complete bull, all of it

Soups123 wrote: »
    Complete bull, all of it

But not really. We as a nation need someone who carries themself alot better. With the decreased amount of games in a group stage at international level, it is fairly important to have your manager allowed on the touchline for all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

But not really. We as a nation need someone who carries themself alot better. With the decreased amount of games in a group stage at international level, it is fairly important to have your manager allowed on the touchline for all of them.

You called him classless, which doesn't reflect any of the above. 'Classness Manager' is the new word from the media whore.

He isn't the right man for the job, he is far from classless

Soups123 wrote: »
    You called him classless, which doesn't reflect any of the above. 'Classness Manager' is the new word from the media whore.

He isn't the right man for the job, he is far from classless

Agree to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Who are the frontrunners who have now ruled themselves out?

Hughton, Mc Dermot, anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Who are the frontrunners who have now ruled themselves out?

Hughton, Mc Dermot, anyone else?

Alex Ferguson, Mourinho, David Moyes and Carlo Ancelotti.

Hughton and McDermott were never frontrunners as they were never going to leave their clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

He wouldnt be interested in the Ireland job but what an ignorant comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Austria are nothing special in terms of international football but Sweden have an excellent record when it comes to qualification for major tournaments. They have qualified for the following tournaments since 1990 :

1992 European Championship
    1994 World Cup
    2000 European Championships
    2002 World Cup
    2004 European Championships
    2006 World Cup
    2008 European Championship
    2012 European Championships

They finished 3rd in '94, 4th in '92 and got to the quarters in 2004. That is a fantastic record for a country of 9 million people.

At this point in time, I can't see past Martin O' Neill, unfortunately. He is a good appointment for the FAI, as it will mean a surge in attendances, due to the Celtic connection. Personally, I think he is too traditional in terms of style and philosophy, and we will end up back to square one, so to speak, in four years time.

Given the increase in the number of qualifications spots available for the next European championships, I would be shocked if we failed to qualify who ever the manager is. Trap would have even gotten us there with room to spare. The real test will come in qualifying for WC 2018.

Personally, I would prefer to see someone appointed who will take a broader view on the game in the country and look to develop it from the grass roots upwards. Frank Rijkaard would be my shout for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

COYW wrote: »

Personally, I would prefer to see someone appointed who will take a broader view on the game in the country and look to develop it from the grass roots upwards.

that sort of thing is the job of the technical director, not the senior team manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

loyatemu wrote: »
    that sort of thing is the job of the technical director, not the senior team manager.

At club level, given the volume of games that is the case. However, given the sparsity of games at senior international level, I think it is possible to have such a person, with a capable team around him of course. I think it is the best way of resolving our footballing problems.

The last thing we need is another person who is going to fly in for game day, do a few promo's, show up at a local game or two at the start of his tenure for publicity sake, and then disappear until the next fixture.

At club level, given the volume of games that is the case. However, given the sparsity of games at senior international level, I think it is possible to have such a person, with a capable team around him of course. I think it is the best way of resolving our footballing problems.

The last thing we need is another person who is going to fly in for game day, do a few promo's, show up at a local game or two at the start of his tenure for publicity sake, and then disappear until the next fixture.

That role should have far more continuity and long term planning than any manager could bring. Most FA's have a dedicated role for that aspect of the game with the managers of each squad having an input into the process and so should Ireland if they are serious about improving the game in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Agree to disagree.

Agree to disagree about what exactly? In order to agree or disagree about something the initial comment has to be remotely sensible. You're just talking sh1te.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

Neil Lennon IS the only man for the job!......done a great job at Celtic, with some huge results...............

beating barca and milan to name just a few..................

deadeye187 wrote: »
    Neil Lennon IS the only man for the job!......done a great job at Celtic, with some huge results...............

Lennon doesn't want the job right now, although he has said he'd be interested in the Ireland job at some stage in the future when he's more experienced. I don't think he's in the frame for the position right now.

Edit: His team beat but Barca but they haven't beaten Milan, not yet anyway......

• Advertisement

Lennonist wrote: »
    Lennon doesn't want the job right now, although he has said he'd be interested in the Ireland job at some stage in the future when he's more experienced. I don't think he's in the frame for the position right now.

Edit: His team beat but Barca but they haven't beaten Milan, not yet anyway......

Ohya...i forgot it was the small man who beat Milan!....

he may not want it, but he still the only man for the job!......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Brian Kerr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ohya...i forgot it was the small man who beat Milan!....

he may not want it, but he still the only man for the job!......

Why? No international experience, has won things in the easiest league in the world, and has beaten Barca once. Only man for the job? I'd have van Marwijk or Zeman over him a hundred times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Austria are nothing special in terms of international football but Sweden have an excellent record when it comes to qualification for major tournaments. They have qualified for the following tournaments since 1990 :

1992 European Championship
    1994 World Cup
    2000 European Championships
    2002 World Cup
    2004 European Championships
    2006 World Cup
    2008 European Championship
    2012 European Championships

They finished 3rd in '94, 4th in '92 and got to the quarters in 2004. That is a fantastic record for a country of 9 million people.

At this point in time, I can't see past Martin O' Neill, unfortunately. He is a good appointment for the FAI, as it will mean a surge in attendances, due to the Celtic connection. Personally, I think he is too traditional in terms of style and philosophy, and we will end up back to square one, so to speak, in four years time.

Given the increase in the number of qualifications spots available for the next European championships, I would be shocked if we failed to qualify who ever the manager is. Trap would have even gotten us there with room to spare. The real test will come in qualifying for WC 2018.

Personally, I would prefer to see someone appointed who will take a broader view on the game in the country and look to develop it from the grass roots upwards. Frank Rijkaard would be my shout for the job.

What way does the qualifying work for 2016. 2 per group is it ? Any playoffs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Alex Ferguson did a great job at United, beating Milan and Barcelona multiple times. Is he the man for the job?

Alex Ferguson did a great job at United, beating Milan and Barcelona multiple times. Is he the man for the job?

He is retired man, pick up a paper!.

some ppl on here, i`m surprised they can spell. You have someone doing it for you!?

If you can`t see the difference between Man Utd and Celtic....well there is nothing to add to this

• Advertisement

some ppl on here, i`m surprised they can spell. You have someone doing it for you!?
    Spell "people" right and we'll ignore the massive irony.
    If you can`t see the difference between Man Utd and Celtic....well there is nothing to add to this

The difference is Celtic play in a mickey mouse league and that gives no indication as to whether Lennon is any good or not. Either way, I'd rather my manager wasn't banned for half our matches, so no thanks.

Spell "people" right and we'll ignore the massive irony.

The difference is Celtic play in a mickey mouse league and that gives no indication as to whether Lennon is any good or not. Either way, I'd rather my manager wasn't banned for half our matches, so no thanks.

he had a win against the mighty Barca in eurpoe on his c.v!...not many managers have that, even some of the very best don`t!.........

some would say we were the celtic of the euro group and we go hammered!........................

celtic are always the underdog and do very well year n year out!

Lennon for the job

Yer deluded if you think Lennon is interested in managing Ireland

Dempsey wrote: »
    Yer deluded if you think Lennon is interested in managing Ireland

i know he is not

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

HECTOR CUPER is interested in the job... right man at the right time

• Advertisement

he had a win against the mighty Barca in eurpoe on his c.v!...not many managers have that, even some of the very best don`t!.........

some would say we were the celtic of the euro group and we go hammered!........................

celtic are always the underdog and do very well year n year out!

Lennon for the job
    So he has one game against Barca. Just great. Maybe we should get Kurban Berdyev, seeing as his Rubin team beat Barca at the Nou Camp!

Looking back, he's reached the second round of the CL a mighty once. Otherwise, they've been knocked out before they even reached the group stage. Not such a great record is it? I'd rather a manager with a track record, thanks.

Why is this thread turning into an opportunity for certain people to have a dig at Neil Lennon? He's not even in the frame for the Ireland job, he doesn't want it right now - whatever about some time in the distant future when he's more experienced. He doesn't get banned for half his matches either. He had a few run ins with the football authorities especially when he started, a lot of managers have run ins with the football authorities.

Neil Lennon's name shouldn't be discussed in this thread he's not interested in the job right now, he's a non runner for the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Neil Lennon hate is retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

They should only pick a candidate who can speak to how they will address youth coaching and talk about the type of football we want to promote in Ireland.

Lennonist wrote: »
    Why is this thread turning into an opportunity for certain people to have a dig at Neil Lennon? He's not even in the frame for the Ireland job, he doesn't want it right now - whatever about some time in the distant future when he's more experienced. He doesn't get banned for half his matches either. He had a few run ins with the football authorities especially when he started, a lot of managers have run ins with the football authorities.

Neil Lennon's name shouldn't be discussed in this thread he's not interested in the job right now, he's a non runner for the post.

Not having a dig at him, just responding to someone calling for him as manager. Not like I brought him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I am pie wrote: »
    They should only pick a candidate who can speak to how they will address youth coaching and talk about the type of football we want to promote in Ireland.

I'm not sure that is or should be the national team manger's responsibility.

The national team manager should be mainly concerned with turning the players at his disposal into the strongest team possible with some input into how best to develop the players but to make the grade but you are not going to get any manager taking on the job of changing the whole structure of football in Ireland.

The FAI have a director of development, let him do his job and let the manager concentrate on his.

IMO of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    What way does the qualifying work for 2016. 2 per group is it ? Any playoffs ?

Hasn't been decided by UEFA yet.
    From what UEFA have said there seems to be 2 methods most likely.
    1) The current system with 9 groups of 6 (a few with just five).
    Top 2 would qualify + best 3rd place, remaining 8 3rd place teams play off for 4 places.

2). A new system with an initial phase of 13 groups of 4 teams (3 of those groups would have 5 teams).
    Only the winners qualify. Remaining 40 teams fight for the 10 places, either through double playoffs or 10 groups of 4 with again only winners qualifying.

UEFA seem to prefer the latter option as 'it stops it being boring' though its worth pointing imo that Ireland would be far more suited by the first method.

So he has one game against Barca. Just great. Maybe we should get Kurban Berdyev, seeing as his Rubin team beat Barca at the Nou Camp!

Looking back, he's reached the second round of the CL a mighty once. Otherwise, they've been knocked out before they even reached the group stage. Not such a great record is it? I'd rather a manager with a track record, thanks.

Better than MON, McCarthy and many others that are considered the frontrunners for the job. Maybe you should look at what he done in the context of playing budgets & player investment which highlights his success more so than what Kurban Berdyev did with Ruban Kazan.

Neil Lennon does have a track record of developing players, promoting youth, playing attractive football, adapting tactics to suit stronger opposition, winning mentality and will continue to bring success to Celtic in many ways that the likes of MON & Strachan (two of the most successful Celtic managers besides Jock Stein) couldnt.

Anyways, it dont matter because he isnt interested in the job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

That's what Rudd Dokter gets paid for.

Nothing to do with the Senior Team manager. Nice or "right" football also irrelevant. Results job. Qualify for 2016 or come real close or you get the sack.

You play whatever ball maximises chances of doing that.

Lots of silly opinions floating around this forum regarding the Irish Senior team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Maybe see Lennon do a job at a team where it isn't easy to win 70% of your games a season.

He wouldnt be interested in the Ireland job but what an ignorant comment.

This may come as a surprise but when making that comment I wasn't expecting widespread agreement from the Celtic fans.

Better than MON, McCarthy and many others that are considered the frontrunners for the job. Maybe you should look at what he done in the context of playing budgets & player investment which highlights his success more so than what Kurban Berdyev did with Ruban Kazan.

Neil Lennon does have a track record of developing players, promoting youth, playing attractive football, adapting tactics to suit stronger opposition, winning mentality and will continue to bring success to Celtic in many ways that the likes of MON & Strachan (two of the most successful Celtic managers besides Jock Stein) couldnt.

Anyways, it dont matter because he isnt interested in the job!
    He's completely unproven at a high level though, one CL run isn't enough. Do it again this year and I might be won over, but otherwise no. And Mick McCarthy got us to a World Cup and then onto a second round, where we were dumped out on penalties. Think that's a slightly bigger achievement myself.

If Mick (the d*ck) McCarthy is all we can hope for then were done for!...

mark my words.

Championship manager is all he is good for!....

SantryRed wrote: »
    Maybe see Lennon do a job at a team where it isn't easy to win 70% of your games a season.

Do you think it's easy for Celtic to negotiate 3 qualifier rounds to get to the Champions League Group Stages, and to then perform like they did last season when they got through to the knockout stages.

Bad posting from people who should know better.

SantryRed wrote: »

Celtic have a high expectation and he was 45 mins from getting the sack earlier in his Celtic career. Domestic trophies aren't the only measure of success at Celtic either, relative success in European Competitions is a priority. Being able to compete against financially superior clubs is essential to keeping the job long term. Not many can handle the expectation set at Celtic.
    This may come as a surprise but when making that comment I wasn't expecting widespread agreement from the Celtic fans.

You were hoping for populist agreement from those that dont watch Scottish Football, good for you I suppose.
    He's completely unproven at a high level though, one CL run isn't enough. Do it again this year and I might be won over, but otherwise no. And Mick McCarthy got us to a World Cup and then onto a second round, where we were dumped out on penalties. Think that's a slightly bigger achievement myself.

He's not completely unproven at the highest level, thats just nonsense. What had McCarthy achieved in management before he got the Ireland job? Hasnt exactly set the heather on fire in club management before or after his Ireland stint.

If Mick (the d*ck) McCarthy is all we can hope for then were done for!...

mark my words.

Championship manager is all he is good for!....

Has Neil Lennon got us to within one kick of a World Cup quarter final?

Thought not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Results job. Qualify for 2016 or come real close or you get the sack.

So you're setting that requirement before you even see who we have in the qualifying group?

• Advertisement

Has Neil Lennon got us to within one kick of a World Cup quarter final?

Thought not.

Football has changed a lot since then!

I suppose it would be like in the championship nowadays!

Where is Mick managing?..............................

ohya!

Advertisement