Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drugs talk

Options

Comments

kneemos wrote: »
    You draw the line at drug use.
    Anything I've seen in the thread could be seen as opinions or suggestions.

Why though? Why drug use?

Drinking is illegal for under eighteens, should we ban people say "I was so drunk, it was brilliant"?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Why though? Why drug use?

Drinking is illegal for under eighteens, should we ban people say "I was so drunk, it was brilliant"?

Because it's dangerous,damaging,addictive,expensive,addles the brain and can lead to all sorts of social and phsycological problems.

Because it's dangerous,damaging,addictive,expensive,addles the brain and can lead to all sorts of social and phsycological problems.

Are we talking about alcohol or drugs? It's hard to distinguish.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

So are video games...

So are video games...

Well you could say balloons are dangerous because they make you light headed.
    Condoning the use of one substance because some other substance is acceptable is nonsense,taken to it's logical ending you could say why not kill people if we already kill animals.
    The only point I'm trying to make is the apparent acceptable discussion of drug use on a site open to thirteen year olds.If it was eighteen I wouldn't have a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Condoning the use of one substance because some other substance is acceptable is nonsense,taken to it's logical ending you could say why not kill people if we already kill animals.
    The only point I'm trying to make is the apparent acceptable discussion of drug use on a site open to thirteen year olds.If it was eighteen I wouldn't have a problem.
    What about all the comments talking about how using drugs isn't worth it? Is that not a more valuable bit of information than completely hiding the existence of drugs from people who are already exposed to drugs in real life? Which is better, censorship or education?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

.....you realise that many 13 year olds are aware of drugs.....?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

kneemos, you understand that Boards isn't condoning anything, right? It's an opinion expressed by one of thousands of users of the forum. Allowing an opinion to be expressed is not the same. We don't agree with or condone everything that is said here.

If you have an issue with talking-up drug use, that's fine, many do. But don't bring the age-requirement for this forum into it as it doesn't exist to nurf every discussion down to some arbitrary safe level.

You know the internet is open to anyone of any age who can gain access to it though, right?

And you know the policy on boards is that you must have a parent or guardian's permission to register and also their permission for what you post?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Nodin wrote: »
    .....you realise that many 13 year olds are aware of drugs.....?

And have better access to them then most adults.

• Advertisement

I can appreciate what everyone is saying.It just seems odd on a thirteen site.
    I know they can see it in other places and that they are aware of drugs and I don't want to see everything censored but at the end of the day you have to be responsible for your own bit of world.As I say it just strikes me as odd nobody has a problem with the suggestions/opinins for getting a high.
    Maybe I'm old and decrepid and should stop peeing in the flower pot.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I can appreciate what everyone is saying.It just seems odd on a thirteen site.
    I know they can see it in other places and that they are aware of drugs and I don't want to see everything censored but at the end of the day you have to be responsible for your own bit of world

What about individual and parental responsibilities? Boards.ie can't nanny every easily led/emotionally immature poster, whether they're 14 or 34 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

The most harmful aspect of recreational drug use is the possibility of getting a criminal conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

We want AH to be kiddie-safe?

Please.

OK, since boards requires a birthdate to register, make AH an over-18 forum.

Problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Kneemos, this is the most relevant thing for you to read.

20079877.jpg

If drugs are the only place you wanna draw a line you are a very strange person. There are threads where people can go into pretty epic levels of fantasy violence, but doing something that harms no one but the person involved is your line...... grow up and just don't read threads that upset you. If kids read it, guess what, that isn't what is gonna make them do drugs. Because they still won't have drugs yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Dades wrote: »
    If I was going to delete that post recommending everybody try E it would be with a view to keeping the thread on rails. As it happens, it was early in the morning and the thread seems to have faded away anyway, so nothing came of it it seems.
    I don't think it really matters what time it was posted, and timing of a post should definitely not be used as an excuse for inaction by a mod.

By allowing the post to stay, it sets a precedent for future benchmarking of what might be allowed to fly.
    A self made unnecessary rod for the mod's back if you will.

The fact that the thread fizzled out is irrelevant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I don't think it really matters what time it was posted, and timing of a post should definitely not be used as an excuse for inaction by a mod.
    Nobody used anything as an excuse. The mods allowed the post to remain. Posts were actioned in that thread, just not the one in question, so "inaction" does not apply here.

I have no problem with that, despite the fact that I might have acted differently. They know the forum better than I do and this isn't exactly a Big Deal.

padd b1975 wrote: »

By allowing the post to stay, it sets a precedent for future benchmarking of what might be allowed to fly.
    A self made unnecessary rod for the mod's back if you will.

The fact that the thread fizzled out is irrelevant.

It does matter what time it was posted. You have to remember that mods are volunteers and have lives and jobs, so chances are that if a post is made late at night, a mod is in bed. This site is 24/7, the mods/admins are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Making something out of nothing. Get over it.

AH - Over 18.

I was being serious...no comments/thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

MadsL wrote: »
    AH - Over 18.

Excluding teenagers from "adult topics" does more harm than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Excluding teenagers from "adult topics" does more harm than good.

Exactly, non-information is probably one of the more dangerous things out there tbh

AH - Over 18.

You made it sound like you were being sarcastic.

Perhaps your comments or thoughts on why you think it should be over 18 might have attracted a response.

You made it sound like you were being sarcastic.

Perhaps your comments or thoughts on why you think it should be over 18 might have attracted a response.

Well, if the issue here is "won't someone think of the children" why don't we think of the children and make AH over 18, that way we don't have to hold back on adult themes or topics.

Perhaps a sub forum could be AH Jr?

No need to police it, just a very clear warning that AH is 18 rated. A ban for anyone who is discovered as underage? Since most posters sign up with their actual age that is a matter of record...a hamster script could remove access without too much difficulty I would have thought...

Well, if the issue here is "won't someone think of the children" why don't we think of the children and make AH over 18, that way we don't have to hold back on adult themes or topics.

Most agree that it's a non issue.

If it ain't broke...

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Perhaps a sub forum could be AH Jr?

No need to police it, just a very clear warning that AH is 18 rated. A ban for anyone who is discovered as underage? Since most posters sign up with their actual age that is a matter of record...a hamster script could remove access without too much difficulty I would have thought...

Only would work if AH was made private, a teenager doesn't need an account to view a public forum.

Not a fan of the idea though, if a teenager wants to join a discussion on something then let them. I can't think of many topics that are "adult themes/topics" that wouldn't also be relevant to teens.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Well, if the issue here is "won't someone think of the children" why don't we think of the children and make AH over 18

...or, we could actually think and realise that making something taboo means teenagers will want to do it more. At least if they can see the pros and cons, they have the information they need to make their choices.

I've never done any drugs because my mother openly discussed them with me and I was well informed of the rewards and risks before I was exposed to them. For me, the risks outweighed the rewards. Others feel differently. That leads to open discussion and it is beneficial to everyone.

Most agree that it's a non issue.

If it ain't broke...

I'd personally agree strongly with you and also with hullaballo. I'm positing this as solution if it does become an issue.

Is there policing of the age of posters on Clearasil and Hormones or can an old man like me join in? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

According to the results of our last census, 60% of our members are between the ages of 18-35, and 35% are between the ages of 35 and 54 so it's accurate to say that members under 18 are emphatically not a huge percentage of visitors, not that I'm trying to discount our awesome younger members but I don't think making certain forums 'over 18' etc is workable, if we start down that road where do we draw the line?

While obviously we don't want younger members accessing unsuitable content via Boards, the reality is we can't police the internet-we've said it time and time before but encouraging responsible internet usage lies with the parents/guardians and not us.

• Advertisement

Is there policing of the age of posters on Clearasil and Hormones or can an old man like me join in? :D

That forum would have died a death if Randylonghorn and AlmightyCushion didn't pop in from time to time over the years! It could do with some more new blood now, once you keep it appropriate. ;)

Advertisement