Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who was he?

• 11-09-2013 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

Its been niggling at me there was an Irish player, who kind of had a Joe Cole rise to semi stardom and ended up in America.

He was then a Freddy Adu like character with people on here saying he would be the next best thing, but he never came good,

he was always mentioned on boards but i never heard of him outside of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Its been niggling at me there was an Irish player, who kind of had a Joe Cole rise to semi stardom and ended up in America.

He was then a Freddy Adu like character with people on here saying he would be the next best thing, but he never came good,

he was always mentioned on boards but i never heard of him outside of it.

Ronnie O' Brien maybe ?

He ended up in North America, but I'm not sure if he ever was the next being thing, more of an example of how the internet was the next big thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Google broke?

joe lapira

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ronnie O' Brien maybe ?

He ended up in North America, but I'm not sure if he ever was the next being thing, more of an example of how the internet was the next big thing

He was nearly Time Magazine's Man of the Century at one point. I am still baffled how he ever ended up signing for Juventus (he won their website best signing of the year award too :D). Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Dempsey wrote: »
    Google broke?

joe lapira

Everyones favourite cult hero.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

klose wrote: »
    Everyones favourite cult hero.

Not mine. I've never heard of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Out of interest did anyone here see the Ireland v Ecuador game that Lapira played in? I missed it myself and have trouble believing the guy actually ever existed. So many other players selected too who never went on to do anything either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

roanoke wrote: »
    Out of interest did anyone here see the Ireland v Ecuador game that Lapira played in? I missed it myself and have trouble believing the guy actually ever existed. So many other players selected too who never went on to do anything either.

It was him cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

5starpool wrote: »
    Not mine. I've never heard of him.
    Steve Stauntons sop to the diaspora. A US college player at the time iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

The whole Lapira thing sums up the farce that was Stan very very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

aramush wrote: »
    The whole Lapira thing sums up the farce that was Stan very very well.

Became clear that he was picking players just to piss of the media.....Jonathan Douglas in CM, whatever happened to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The thing with Staunton is he gave absolutely everyone a chance , the total opposite of Trap if only we could get someone in the middle

Advertisement