Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire damaged buildings

Options
  • 11-09-2013 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I'm studying in DKIT (no surveys, promise!) and I will be doing my dissertation topic on the external spread of fire.
    I'm wondering would anybody know of a house/commercial building/heritage building that has recently been damaged due to fire?
    If so, could you PM me on an address/name of contact or anything at all, as I would like to visit the site, take a few measurements, a few pics and use it as a case study for my dissertation topic.
    Cheers in advance!
    Panthro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Why dont you ring the fire station(042 9334666)??? I am sure they will be able to help you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Yeah I've mailed them alright haven't heard back though.
    Perhaps a phone call would be better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

PM sent (I think ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'd seriously doubt (and no disrespects to yoouraelf) that the fire brigade will be giving you the locations of damaged properties in the locality.

Then there's the whole how do you intend gaining access to somebody else's property?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Council building on fair street drogheda had fire damage a couple of years ago, think they just repaired the roof and boarded the windows up and left it be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

MugMugs wrote: »
    I'd seriously doubt (and no disrespects to yoouraelf) that the fire brigade will be giving you the locations of damaged properties in the locality.

Then there's the whole how do you intend gaining access to somebody else's property?

I was thinking more about the posibility of him getting to have a look at some of their training facilities......they also burn things ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

This apartment block on North Quay in Drogheda is still closed after a fire a few years ago.

Scotty # wrote: »
    This apartment block on North Quay in Drogheda is still closed after a fire a few years ago.

Cheers folks!
    The first one might be a bit dated, I think I should be looking for something a bit more recent. The second is huge!:o
    I've currently since been given access to one residential building, so next two shouts would be commercial (not too massive!) and maybe heritage or something along those lines.
    Cheers for all the input so far!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

There's that pub on West St. in Drogheda that burned down last year. I don't think there's too much left of it though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

There's that pub in Julianstown that is always catching fire after a new owner buys it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

There's that pub in Julianstown that is always catching fire after a new owner buys it.

Absolutely love your description.

Lands up for sale too so access could well be gained by means of a "viewing" OP.

the residential was pretty well boarded up so it didn't suit to be honest, anyone else know of a building, perhaps in or around the Dundalk area (a non local to Louth you see) that I could perhaps use?
    Cheers!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Panthro wrote: »
    Cheers folks!
    The first one might be a bit dated, I think I should be looking for something a bit more recent. The second is huge!:o
    I've currently since been given access to one residential building, so next two shouts would be commercial (not too massive!) and maybe heritage or something along those lines.
    Cheers for all the input so far!:)
    Panthro wrote: »
    the residential was pretty well boarded up so it didn't suit to be honest, anyone else know of a building, perhaps in or around the Dundalk area (a non local to Louth you see) that I could perhaps use?
    Cheers!:)

If that 1st one is not too old it might be of interest as they completely removed the building with the most damage (where the fire started) and left/repaired the buildings either side of it. Now there is a "hole" open to you as you pass by where the building in the middle used to be. If you are up around Dundalk or passing along the inner by-pass you can just take a look and see if it's of any use to you.

Cheers Cargo, I might take a spin by so and have a look,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Form Louth village head for tallanstown - about 300 metres out from Louth village there is a little cottage that was burned about 1 months ago
    It is on the right and was up for sale and is still for sale. Windows have been fitted with guards. Might be worth a look

DK man wrote: »
    Form Louth village head for tallanstown - about 300 metres out from Louth village there is a little cottage that was burned about 1 months ago
    It is on the right and was up for sale and is still for sale. Windows have been fitted with guards. Might be worth a look

Would you believe, it's the very one I was at.
    I got onto the people selling it and asked could I have a look round. No problems there.
    Only problem was I couldn't physically get into the building, so I couldn't use it. Pity.
    But thanks for the heads up anyways!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

My house was destroyed by fire last tue. Dublin 15 area. Accessor coming Monday, you are welcome to pm me if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Does it have to be recent? Piltown House is still there a shameful reminder that as a group of people (state / society / etc) we just don't have the right stuff (will, resources, interest whatever) to keep up something like that. Photos here.

http://www.abandonedireland.com/Piltown.html

Advertisement