If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onkyo TX-NR509 audio not working, suspected HDMI board

Options
  • 11-09-2013 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Purchased August 2011 along with a a Samsung UE40D5520 tv Cambridge 2xS30s, S50 and a S80 3.1 speaker, all with Supercare.

Symptoms:
    Turned it on last Sunday, picture fine, no sound.
    Speaker configuration nolonger displayed on the screen.
    Network and Firmware menu sections are greyed out, NET input repeats the initializing cycle over and over.

Treatment:
    After googling for a bit, tried the VCR+Power reset, retrying Audyssey configuration, checking the tuner, reseating and replacing connectors.
    It's in a well ventilated open-back unit with plenty of space around the top and sides for airflow and  has never been used at high volumes (apartment block).
    Let it unplugged for a day to let any resettable fuse calm down. Tried it again last night, no joy.

I'm a little paranoid that it's failed *just* outside the Onkyo warranty period of 2 years :)

I'm located in Dublin and driving up and down to Belfast isn't super practical.
    Does supercare cover picking it up or do I need to box it and drop it in to the Philips store?
    I wasn't allowed keep the original packaging but on the bright side, now I'm justified in wanting to do so ;)

As this seems to be a common enough failure (and this is a lower-end piece of kit), how good is the fix from Onkyo?

Thanks,
    John

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

po0k wrote: »
    Purchased August 2011 along with a a Samsung UE40D5520 tv Cambridge 2xS30s, S50 and a S80 3.1 speaker, all with Supercare.

Symptoms:
    Turned it on last Sunday, picture fine, no sound.
    Speaker configuration nolonger displayed on the screen.
    Network and Firmware menu sections are greyed out, NET input repeats the initializing cycle over and over.

Treatment:
    After googling for a bit, tried the VCR+Power reset, retrying Audyssey configuration, checking the tuner, reseating and replacing connectors.
    It's in a well ventilated open-back unit with plenty of space around the top and sides for airflow and  has never been used at high volumes (apartment block).
    Let it unplugged for a day to let any resettable fuse calm down. Tried it again last night, no joy.

I'm a little paranoid that it's failed *just* outside the Onkyo warranty period of 2 years :)

I'm located in Dublin and driving up and down to Belfast isn't super practical.
    Does supercare cover picking it up or do I need to box it and drop it in to the Philips store?
    I wasn't allowed keep the original packaging but on the bright side, now I'm justified in wanting to do so ;)

As this seems to be a common enough failure (and this is a lower-end piece of kit), how good is the fix from Onkyo?

Thanks,
    John
    Hi John,

Sorry to hear about the amp :(

This is where our Supercare comes in very handy.  There's no problem getting that repaired for you.  The guys at Genserve who deal with the Onkyo repairs are very good so we can get that sorted for you.

Unfortunately Supercare doesn't cover collection or delivery once repaired on faulty products.  And also the Philips shop closed at the start of 2012 :(  The amp would need to get back to us in Belfast, this can be dropped up to us or sent via courier etc.  If you're going down this root just make sure it's packaged as best as you can.  All we'll need is the amp and a note with your details and the fault.

Let me know if you need anymore info.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Hi Chris,

I shipped it to the Belfast store last month, An Post say it was delivered on the 19th September but I haven't heard anything back yet.
    In enclose two copies of an info sheet with my details and a description on them.
    I'll phone the store directly when I get a few minutes during work.

Thanks,
    John

Hi Chris,

I shipped it to the Belfast store last month, An Post say it was delivered on the 19th September but I haven't heard anything back yet.
    In enclose two copies of an info sheet with my details and a description on them.

Thanks,
    John
    Hi John,

If you can get in touch with your full name and address I'll look the repair up to see what I can find out for you.

Apologies no one has been in touch.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Hi Chris,

Thanks,
    John
    Hi John,

If you can get in touch with your full name and address I'll look the repair up to see what I can find out for you.

Chris
    Thanks Chris, PM sent.

Hi Chris,

Thanks,
    John
    Hi John,

Chris
    Thanks Chris, PM sent.
    Thanks John.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.