Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trappatoni no longer ROI manager!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

BOOM Happy days. The man is a dinosaur. I would imagine a lot of the players he has pissed off are quite happy to see the back of him.

Now get Chris Hughton (not gona happen but is my preference)

Why should we listen to anyone who starts a post with BOOM in big letters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Cazale wrote: »
    Delaney on Pat Kenny said the national team was only about 4% of the work he does. With the state of the league at the moment Im struggling to figure out what the other 96% is.

Buying pints for supporters at away matches.

thebaz wrote: »
    time was up for Trapp - my choice would be Sir Alex ;-)

Really dude? I'm surprised you didnt suggest Jose Mourinho as his assistant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Cazale wrote: »
    Delaney on Pat Kenny said the national team was only about 4% of the work he does. With the state of the league at the moment Im struggling to figure out what the other 96% is.

Spending his absolutely bat sh*t crazy high wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Martin O Neill and who else :D:D:D

Delaney says the national team is only 4% of his workload which sounds about right. There are only a few games every year but if you were to judge him on the LOI he would be out the door too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

Here are a few names

kenny dalglish

Roy Keane

Gerard Houllier

Martin O'Neill

Avram Grant

Roberto Di Matteo

Sven-G. Eriksson

Paul Jewell

Steve McClaren

Wild card: Nick Barmby (unlucky to lose his job at hull)

I think most if not all are out of work............who would you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

SantryRed wrote: »
    I honestly do not get this :confused: and never have.

He got us to the Euros. Regardless of how lucky I felt we were to get there, for a country of our size to not give him another contract before it would have been lunacy.

Why, where was he going to go or who was going to come in for him? He had a cushy number, living in Italy, not learning to speak English properly, getting away with not answering serious questions posed to him, not attending games our players were playing in..I could go on...why on earth would he want to go anywhere else!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

SlickRic wrote: »
    someone enlighten me as to what else he fúcking does.

He organises Strictly Come Dancing fund-raisers in local clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

someone just suggested Harry Redknapp on my FB feed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

About bloody time!!!! Bring on the young players and start planning for the long term future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Really dude? I'm surprised you didnt suggest Jose Mourinho as his assistant

Sorry Dude, the special one is currently employed FYI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Ah come on. The Staunton one I'll give you. An appointment devoid of any common sense. Completely dumb.

He wasn't head of the FAI during Saipan.

The decision today probably should have been made months ago but it's hardly a decision completely devoid of sense to have kept Trap at that point in time. Certainly not a sackable offence.

I would have thought things like the FAI's handling of the domestic league, the ticketing fiasco for the Aviva etc. would be higher up on the list of reasons to get rid of Delaney. I'd like to see him (or someone else) lay out the case for him to stay. What's he done/achieved/overseen that's been positive in his tenure.

Delaney can't be judged solely on the fortunes of the senior team and its manager. That's way too narrow a focus for a man with his job.

Ok I stand to be corrected on Saipan but it was his mug I remember doing all the rubbish mediating in the pressers during it so I was sure he was CEO then. Regardless of that I named but a few of his faults, and you also added to it so I stand by my statement of him needing to step down also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

deadeye187 wrote: »
    Here are a few names

Roy Keane

Gerard Houllier

Martin O'Neill

Avram Grant

Roberto Di Matteo

Sven-G. Eriksson

Paul Jewell

Steve McClaren

It's unfortunate that we will most likely only try to approach those out of work, out of work for a reason, and none of which are a big step up.

I'd like someone that can stay in the job for some time, and has a track record of consistency and nurturing talent. Not someone whose success was built of buying in average players on big money, then bailing when the going got tough leaving the club a state...MON..cough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Here are a few names

Roy Keane

Gerard Houllier

Martin O'Neill

Avram Grant

Roberto Di Matteo

Sven-G. Eriksson

Paul Jewell

Steve McClaren

Purely for the LOLs as he begorrahs begorrahs through his press interviews :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Delaney says the national team is only 4% of his workload which sounds about right. There are only a few games every year but if you were to judge him on the LOI he would be out the door too.

Well getting his brother the contracts for the floodlight jobs they grant amateur clubs must take up a bit of his time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    What a farce. Cant even sack someone right. Should have let him see out the campaign and bring in a fresh face for the spring.
    Will probably get Givens in as a caretaker now.

Who else is out there to take over. Don't think Martin o Neill is the answer

I think now is the perfect time. If they do get a new manager in before the end of the Qualifiers, he will have competive game experience in place, and two extra matches experience to select players, plan tactics, experiment with formations, etc etc etc.

Eamonn Dunphy.

We have our own godlike football genius lying in wait

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Not going to stick the knife in, I'll choose to remember the Trap era by beating France in 90 mins 1-0 in Paris, briefly leading Italy in Croke Park, banishing our Macedonia demons, 4-1 in Estonia and the sense of hope and excitement that I had in the lead up to June 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Is Alan Matthews free?

*gets coat*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

So does Noel King step in for the last two games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Brian McDermott:eek::eek:

Brian McDermott would be perfect for Ireland. He has been great for Leeds in the short time he has been with the club. Not that I want him to leave Leeds but he would be one of the best options we could get. Very good at getting the best out of his players.

Bring back Brian Kerr with Steve Staunton as assistant.

Dream team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

SlickRic wrote: »
    someone enlighten me as to what else he fúcking does.

Goes round pubs buying pints, handing out cans and throwing away ties!

Any chance we can get the FAI to 'sack' Connor Sammon from International football too? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

murpho999 wrote: »
    How do you know he didn't?

He doesn't have to announce it on TV.

Because it would surely have made the news last night or very early this morning. I suspect Trap and Delaney had a meeting or call this morning and agreed a compensation pay-off for him to leave now.

TheDoc wrote: »
    It's unfortunate that we will most likely only try to approach those out of work, out of work for a reason, and none of which are a big step up.

I'd like someone that can stay in the job for some time, and has a track record of consistency and nurturing talent. Not someone whose success was built of buying in average players on big money, then bailing when the going got tough leaving the club a state...MON..cough

I think your right, this is why I put up this list...............

I think it should be someone young enough to want to do a great job!

Some old italian guy who is not motivated, buy only by money and never learned basic english. This mistake can not be made again, Young and motivated is what is needed....someone who will keep the ball on the deck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Ok I stand to be corrected on Saipan but it was his mug I remember doing all the rubbish mediating in the pressers during it so I was sure he was CEO then. Regardless of that I named but a few of his faults, and you also added to it so I stand by my statement of him needing to step down also.

I know very little of what Delaney does in his role, and it appears that I'm not alone, but he does seem to me to be the sort of fella who just wants to be loved. His carry on in the Euros was a disgrace but what it screamed to me was "Love me and I'll buy you a pint". Sadly, a lot of fans bought into it.

I'd just love the fella (or anyone) to properly outline what he's actually achieved in his time as head of the association that warrants him staying.

That said, what do we expect from the CEO of the FAI?

thebaz wrote: »
    Sorry Dude, the special one is currently employed FYI

I know. Dont worry Alex Ferguson isnt taking the job either

Bring back Brian Kerr with Steve Staunton as assistant.

Dream team

I think

Steve Kean ex blackburn as manager

Brian Kerr as asst manager

Staunton as Head coach!

DREAM TEAM RIGHT THERE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I think

Brian Kerr as ass manager

Staunton as Head coach!

DREAM TEAM RIGHT THERE!

Ass manager? Poor Brian.

I think

Brian Kerr as ass manager

Staunton as Head coach!

DREAM TEAM RIGHT THERE!

France here we come

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

More importantly lads, is Manuela staying?

Stan backing Martin O Neill as the next gaffer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I was never a fan of Trappatoni's appointment from the beginning. You can't deny the success' of the first two campaigns, but there was alot of issues throughout that were worrying. I think Trap mostly got away with criticise after the Paris affair, and too much was made of our Euro's qualification when you consider who we played against.

The Euros themselves were our first real and only test under this manager which failed epicly in every shape and form.

A poor outdated system that was torn apart on the global stage.
    Mismanagement of players resulting in exiles and stupid omissions.
    Stubbornness and favouritism that resulted in the consistent picking of sub-standard players.

Our style of play has regressed behind what is acceptable in world football. Ten years ago newly promoted teams, or weak teams in Europes top leagues took on the long ball approach with a tightly packed defence to try nick results. Then everyone coped on that the turnover of posession is so high, you are inviting danger considering your playing an opposing team better in possession. Managers realised that playing a more possession based game reduced risk, you can't concede if you ahve the ball as John Giles would say.

Trap, in 2013, is still deploying tactics that you would see in the earlies 00's and late 90's deployed by poor footballing nations and clubs. I feel he was in total, terrible at his appointed position, and based most of his decision on heary-say and DVD re-runs, which in turn led to what was a hit and miss strategy that missed more then hit. And I say that throughout the whole of his reign, not just the last campaign.

I looked like a wally to many questioning and querying Trappatoni through his first two campaigns, and its gas to see how so many, even here who were against my views heavily some time ago, singing of the same hymn sheet now.

Some serious damage has been done, players alienated and to a certain extent ridiculed in the national media and press. Last nights RTE panel were pretty damning to some of the players in our squad. The new manager has a serious task in picking moral up off the floor, but most importantly deploying proper modern tactics. Every player in that team is at a club being trained and educated in poession based play, it is no wonder they can't play long ball, no one does that **** anymore.

Good call in my book, get it done ASAP and start planning ahead, no point letting him hang around until next June.

I think there needs to be a serious look at Delaney in his post aswell, has to take responability for what has been a pretty regrressive national team over the last couple of years, including a completely shambolic national league, and a void of progressing talent, not being taught modern football and as such cannot break into the professional ranks.

Serious overhaul required, unfortunately as typical with all things Irish, simply won't happen aslong as Delaney keeps lining the pockets of his colleagues.

A sham finish to a sham national team, part of a sham organisation. People saying the future aint bright, it's been pretty dark for a while

irish_goat wrote: »
    More importantly lads, is Manuela staying?

She should be employed as mascot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Anything to be said for Mick McCarthy?

:D

Roberto Di Matteo for me.......If he even take the job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I know very little of what Delaney does in his role, and it appears that I'm not alone, but he does seem to me to be the sort of fella who just wants to be loved. His carry on in the Euros was a disgrace but what it screamed to me was "Love me and I'll buy you a pint". Sadly, a lot of fans bought into it.

I'd just love the fella (or anyone) to properly outline what he's actually achieved in his time as head of the association that warrants him staying.

That said, what do we expect from the CEO of the FAI?

Not promise 'a world class manager' after shafting Brian Kerr and then appoint Steve Staunton would have been a start. A CEO of anything is expected to be a leader, make crucial and correct decisions, and certainly not act the clown in canvassing for 'love'. Failure in my eyes, there's the door JD.

Mint Sauce wrote: »

I think the less said the better!......he was a mistake back then and would be even bigger one now. He is at his level now in the Championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Mick gets my vote. He was brave enough to give the young lads a chance the last time (Keane, Duff, Given, Dunne) and allowed them to express themselves on the field. We need someone to do this again.

• Advertisement

:D

His treatment by fans and media alike at the time of his departure was a disgrace.

If I were Mick McCarthy i'd be telling the FAI to stick their job up their hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

About bloody time!!!! Bring on the young players and start planning for the long term future!
    young players like Coleman, Clark, Wilson, Brady, McCarthy, McGeady, Pilkington, McClean, Cox and Long?? they're already in the squad. The only other young players out there are Hendrick, Meyler, Clifford and Madden.
    Probably Jon Flanagan and Ryan McLaughlin off Liverpool could be added if we can get them to switch their allegiance.

The early favourites are:
    Martin O'Neill 8/11
    Mick McCarthy 6/1
    Liam Brady 12/1
    Brian McDermott 12/1
    Roy Keane 16/1
    Chris Hughton 18/1
    David O'Leary 25/1
    Alex McLeish 33/1

Whats Ossie Ardiles at these days??

4-2-4 FTW :D

Or that lad that used always be linked with the Ireland job Philippe Troussier??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I wonder will September 11th be looked upon as a poignant day in Irish sport in a few years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Alex McLeish please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I think the less said the better!......he was a mistake back then and would be even bigger one now. He is at his level now in the Championship

who would you have appointed?

i remember Mike Walker turning up for an interview back then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I personally have a huge amount of respect for Trap. He's a legend of the game, in terms of playing and management. I think he did a reasonable job for Ireland in terms of results and if you look at what we achieved on paper, we should probably be happy enough. My respect will grow still for him if resigned without ripping us off.

That said, the time was right to go. Football is changing, and Irish football needs to change with it. Trap isn't the man to lead this change. There's big changes needed across the Irish footballing landscape and this is only one of them. If Delaney and co. remain in place and the status quo is maintained, this change is all for nothing.

So while it's ultimately the correct move, I wouldn't be jumping for joy just yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Hannibal wrote: »
    young players like Coleman, Clark, Wilson, Brady, McCarthy, McGeady, Pilkington, McClean, Cox and Long?? they're already in the squad. The only other young players out there are Hendrick, Meyler, Clifford and Madden.
    Probably Jon Flanagan and Ryan McLaughlin off Liverpool could be added if we can get them to switch their allegiance.

Martin O'Neill 8/11
    Mick McCarthy 6/1
    Liam Brady 12/1
    Brian McDermott 12/1
    Roy Keane 16/1
    Chris Hughton 18/1
    David O'Leary 25/1
    Alex McLeish 33/1

Thats a nightmare panel.

:P
    who would you have appointed?

i remember Mike Walker turning up for an interview back then.

TBH you have me there!..i don`t know

but this time around, it can`t be mick!

I happy that trap is gone, don`t take that feeling away by saying mick!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Anyone putting money on Keane, Brady or McLeish needs their heads examined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Hannibal wrote: »

Martin O'Neill 8/11
    Mick McCarthy 6/1
    Liam Brady 12/1
    Brian McDermott 12/1
    Roy Keane 16/1
    Chris Hughton 18/1
    David O'Leary 25/1
    Alex McLeish 33/1

You simply HAVE to be a Trapp fan cause even you neglected Houlihan....

Yeah bring em into the squad and give em a few mins here and there cause that's the way forward..... For Christ sake play em, the current lot (Trapp's favourites) are by no means world beaters but at least give the kids with the talent the opportunity ON THE PITCH!!!!!

Sick to death of seeing the mediocre crap playing ahead of such talented kids on the bench. I hate when managers get credit for 'calling them into the squad' FFS it's what you do with them when you have them is what counts, Christ sake anyone can make a phone call......

• Advertisement
Advertisement