Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trappatoni no longer ROI manager!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I cannot agree with this even more and anyone that thinks that Trapp was there for the longer term benefit of the team RATHER THAN HIS POCKET is deluded.....

The man was obviously on a great contract with Ireland and the only thing I will say for him is that apparently he has not held out for the full amount and settled.... I'll give him that....

Don't suppose he needs it at this stage :rolleyes:

He probably didn't need it when he took the job either.

I'm sure all the people on their high horses here would walk away from a well paying job that you'd been successful at too (I'm talking up to the Euros).

One thing that annoys me in life are the type of people who judge others by higher standards than they would dare apply to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Bring back Brian Kerr with Steve Staunton as assistant.

Dream team

Yep great call. Kerr never got a chance taking over McCarthys team during a campaign and sacked because of it.
    Has the biggest % of wins v games played of all recent managers and lowest loss %.

If anyone was every treated disgracefully with was him.

No top class managers sticking out to take over. Morale is really low so can see a caretaker in for the remaining two games before a permanent one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

TheDoc wrote: »
    Anzi terminated his contract, he is no longer associated with the club

No reason why we shouldn't be in for him so :confused:

Applauded for what? Trying to milk a nice little earner to the bitter end? If he actually had any integrity, he should have stepped down after the embarrassment debacle we witnessed at the European Championships. So good riddance to him.

Agree at the end of the euros if we had any sense of dignity he would have left. The FAI are as bad for keeping him in a job post Euros . He should have given a new man a chance to bring something new walk away with a decent package and would have left with people wishing him well. He dragged things on and now still gets a further payout. Really lost any respect for him .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Shane Long on Trap:
    "He took Irish football to the next level"

• Advertisement

DeanAustin wrote: »
    He probably didn't need it when he took the job either.

I'm sure all the people on their high horses here would walk away from a well paying job that you'd been successful at too (I'm talking up to the Euros).

One thing that annoys me in life are the type of people who judge others by higher standards than they would dare apply to themselves.

Lol! You know me yeah???

You know what standards I set for myself in life and such yeah? :rolleyes:

I'm Irish, Trapp was the IRISH NATIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM MANAGER, excuse me for having such high standards for such an important role for the most popular sport in the ENTIRE WORLD.......

Its a high standard job so it needs to be judged on high standards, and to construe the argument to involve peoples everyday lives to suit the end of furthering your own point is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Delaney could do worse than giving Sir Alex a cheeky call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Thanks Trap.

I was a fan of his, though I won't shed any tears that he's gone. He made us tough to beat and got us to a championship for the first time in ten years. The squad he had has been deterioriating over the years and I think we were extremely lucky to make it to Poland and there we got a ridiculously tough group. The squad that missed out on the WC was better, imo.

I'm no fan of his style but it got results, which I am a fan of. And he always had to put up with a lot of **** from the media. I admired him for not caving into their crap. Yeah, he was stubborn but up until this campaign, he was getting very good results using the players and system he wanted.

I'll reserve judgement on his replacement 'til they've got a chance to settle in. However, I wouldn't touch the likes of Roy Keane or David O'Leary. Neither have been relevant in recent years. I'd be very happy with the likes of McDermott or Hughton and I wouldn't be too put off by the prospect of O'Neill. Though, realistically, I can't imagine the job is all that attractive at the moment.

I don't see us challenging for qualification anytime soon. I think we're entering another downturn in fortunes for the next while, regardless of whoever comes in. I will be genuinely interested to see how a more attack-minded side will do as I don't believe it will make all that much more difference. I struggle to see where the players to make us better on that front are going to come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Should still qualify the next time out, especially if we are in a group with the North and Wales, as they are total scutter.

"If only we could play the North every week"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

SlickRic wrote: »
    Shane Long on Trap:

Shane Long is an idiot.

• Advertisement

Lol! You know me yeah???

You know what standards I set for myself in life and such yeah? :rolleyes:

I'm Irish, Trapp was the IRISH NATIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM MANAGER, excuse me for having such high standards for such an important role for the most popular sport in the ENTIRE WORLD.......

Its a high standard job so it needs to be judged on high standards, and to construe the argument to involve peoples everyday lives to suit the end of furthering your own point is ridiculous.

So you would walk away from a well paying job?

What exactly are your high standards? What is it you expect the national team manager to achieve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Delaney could do worse than giving Sir Alex a cheeky call.

I know this is tongue in cheek and all. But ive seen a few people comment on Fergie and the Irish job.

I really do question the mental health of some people who would think for a sec that Fergie could be the new manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Cazale wrote: »
    Delaney on Pat Kenny said the national team was only about 4% of the work he does. With the state of the league at the moment Im struggling to figure out what the other 96% is.

Counting his money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Yep great call. Kerr never got a chance taking over McCarthys team during a campaign and sacked because of it..

:confused: He had another full campaign after that and finished 4th, I know it was a tight group but its a results based business. 4th place is 4th place.

So you would walk away from a well paying job?

What exactly are your high standards? What is it you expect the national team manager to achieve?

1. If I was unable to do the job in anyway shape or form regardless of external reasons, yes I would, you don't know me so don't tell me otherwise...

2. Please explain this question in more detail because if it (as I think) relates to my personal life, I think you know the answer you will get to this one....

3. Qualification..... I don't care what anyone posts here, that was a group that we could have got out of. Also, I do think that it is vitally important that the national team manger show the public that there is working going into grass-roots level and that there WILL be a future for us in the sport. I DO NOT expect the national team manger to publicly state he thinks there is NO domestic league.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Its a high standard job .
    What's not a 'high standard' job?

so it needs to be judged on high standards.
    OK.
    Took a team ranked outside the top 40 into a major finals = success

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Delaney on Pat Kenny said the national team was only about 4% of the work he does. With the state of the league at the moment Im struggling to figure out what the other 96% is.

Possibly in a state like this
    johndelaneypubs1068540t.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Id like to see Chris Hughton take over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

You have to give Trap credit for taking Ireland to a Euros. Yes, he was lucky to get us there, but in a sense managers and their teams are always relying on a degree of luck with Trap's portion of it being just that much bigger that time. He also took the team to the brink of World cup qualification and, looking back, the way the team went out, it played out like the final act of a sports underdog movie. We all would have dearly loved to watch Ireland go to that WC but as a way to bow out, it wasn't too bad. The eyes of the world fell upon the teams involved in the days to follow and if, as a consequence, it forced progress towards full goal line technology, then it could have been worse.

Third campaign was simply one campaign too many, though, and the spell was well and truly broken after the team's rightful hiding at the Euros. Really, these last 15 months or so have been like watching a house of cards collapse incrementally. He just wouldn't change when change was desperately needed and he, along with the team, have paid the price.

OK.
    Took a team ranked outside the top 40 into a major finals = success

1. A job that almost anyone could do? Regardless of qualification...... I know your trying to bait me here on word play considering the unemployment levels in the country but it won't happen....

2. Fair play to him, I suppose he is the first and only one to do that as well is he??? So he got us to the Euro's where we basically collapsed and failed miserably in the following qualification campaign.... a minute aspect of success in a overall poor tenure in my opinion....

• Advertisement

1. If I was unable to do the job in anyway shape or form regardless of external reasons, yes I would, you don't know me so don't tell me otherwise...

2. Please explain this question in more detail because if it (as I think) relates to my personal life, I think you know the answer you will get to this one....

3. Qualification..... I don't care what anyone posts here, that was a group that we could have got out of. Also, I do think that it is vitally important that the national team manger show the public that there is working going into grass-roots level and that there WILL be a future for us in the sport. I DO NOT expect the national team manger to publicly state he thinks there is NO domestic league.....

1. I've seen many people come and go in jobs but never seen any of them resign for that reason. You're different though? That aside, Trap will have felt he was doing a pretty good job which, to me, is fair enough.

2. Was related to 3.

3. So these are the standards you apply to people in jobs? I know you won't answer here but what is it you do for a living? Would you be happy if your boss came and said:

"I want you to achieve this* by the end of the year and if you don't you're gone" when 'this' is something that only 2 of your predecessors have achieved over a period of 80 or so years. Especially when your boss tells you you'll be doing it with less resources.

We could have gotten out of the group - true. But it was hardly a given and Sweden and Austria will have thought the exact same. We have a piss poor team - the worst in my lifetime. In my opinion, we should be doing better than we are and that's why I'm happy Trap has walked. But if you think failure to qualify is a sackable offence (or should force a resignation), then you'll be back on here in 2-4 years time shouting for the head of the next fella. Your expectations are ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Chris Hughton would be mad to take this job

He is in a good position at Norwich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Hughton would be a very good appointment but not a chance of it unfortunately after hes assembled a nice little squad at norwich and should be safely mid table this year I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Hughton was at the Sweden game...probably meant nothing but you never know!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Hughton was at the Sweden game...probably meant nothing but you never know!

A good few of his players were involved in the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Definitely right to leave (prob should have done so after the Euros tbh).
    Expect to see maybe the same style with little variety because no matter who the manager, they will look at the players and realize that we just don't have the quality there to play any other kind of game. And if we try, I can bet our very average defense (Dunne is the saving grace atm) will be exposed more so than now and let in goals for fun.

Anyway, I look forward to the shambles that is the Irish football team and what the future will bring.

1. I've seen many people come and go in jobs but never seen any of them resign for that reason. You're different though? That aside, Trap will have felt he was doing a pretty good job which, to me, is fair enough.

2. Was related to 3.

3. So these are the standards you apply to people in jobs? I know you won't answer here but what is it you do for a living? Would you be happy if your boss came and said:

"I want you to achieve this* by the end of the year and if you don't you're gone" when 'this' is something that only 2 of your predecessors have achieved over a period of 80 or so years. Especially when your boss tells you you'll be doing it with less resources.

We could have gotten out of the group - true. But it was hardly a given and Sweden and Austria will have thought the exact same. We have a piss poor team - the worst in my lifetime. In my opinion, we should be doing better than we are and that's why I'm happy Trap has walked. But if you think failure to qualify is a sackable offence (or should force a resignation), then you'll be back on here in 2-4 years time shouting for the head of the next fella. Your expectations are ridiculous.

1. Yes, like I said you don't know me so you can't answer your own question as me. Only I can do that, you can only assume but you do not know. I on the other hand do...... Its a bit stupid to ask me a question that I have answered and then tell me the answer I gave about myself is questionable when you don't know me..... but by all means assume away....

2. Ok

3. Your right, I won't answer that question but (again you don't know me so you can't say otherwise really or your just answering your own question, he hence no point even asking) but cutbacks and target settings are wholesale in business these days, and the point in question here is not me and my job, I have a qualification to do my job and am able to do so on a regular basis....

I never said it was a 'givin' you did. I said we could have got out of that group and not have no chance of qualification at this point of the campaign.

How can you even assume I will be on here in 2-4 years calling for heads when we don't even know who the manager will be, like your assuming in fairness to ya :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

lmao wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised the FAI acted so quick. Right decision in my opinion!

Acted quickly.
    He should have gone after the Germany game when we were humiliated and there was some chance of a new man turnign things around.
    Instead he has been allowed scupper our seedings for the future campaigns.
    Hannibal wrote: »
    Why would you get rid of a manager who so nearly got us to the World Cup in 2010, and got us the lasts years Euros for the first time in 24 years midway through our group stage? he deserved to see out this campaign which he has done.

Bullsh**.
    We made it to the Euros after we scraped by some games.
    The one in Moscow should be put forward as a bloody miracle and count towards Dunne and Givens canonisation.
    then we had to beat Estonia ffs in a playoff.
    Then we were humilaited even if by two very good teams.
    At least in the past Irish teams never capitulated and became a shambles when facing the big boys.

Then we had Germany trouncing us on some soil.
    He has presided over the demise of the international team and has promoted donkeys when better (note I haven't claimed they are world class) players are available.
    If Trap had the "dignity" that Brady spoke of him having so bloody often he would have resigned last night.

He would have bloody resigned after Germany if he had dignity.

Ar**licking platini and blatter hoping to get onbaord the UEFA/FIFA slush fund train to untold riches would be my guess.

I am not allowed discuss …

Yakult wrote: »
    Definitely right to leave (prob should have done so after the Euros tbh).
    Expect to see maybe the same style with little variety because no matter who the manager, they will look at the players and realize that we just don't have the quality there to play any other kind of game. And if we try, I can bet our very average defense (Dunne is the saving grace atm) will be exposed more so than now and let in goals for fun.

Anyway, I look forward to the shambles that is the Irish football team and what the future will bring.

I do think we can aspire to a better style of football to be honest. The likes of Wes Hoolahan, Darron Gibson and James McCarthy can play a bit. You don't need Xavi and Iniesta to play good football.

But we're never going to be a pass it from the back type of team because it just isn't in our culture. The defenders aren't capable of it and the fans wouldn't have it. How often do you hear "Just f**king get it out of there, don't be messing with it" in this country? Usually from the people who want "good football".

My mate last week, who wants a good passing games came out with "I hate it when they go back the way, it's a waste of time". Sadly, there are a lot of people equally as clueless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

you see, the problem with this statement is that if I came on boards and said that if I won the Euromillions, I would divide it equally among all boards posters that had thanked my posts, I would be laughed out the door, as if.

There is no point making that kind of statement when it is a situation that is unlikely to happen and is unverifiable in the unlikely event that it did. Your protestations that you would walk away from a job are meaningless.

BTW, Trap did a job, got us to two play-offs, won one, unlucky (robbed?) in the other. After that, he couldn't cope with managing what was left.

Over the years we always had one of two players who would get into the England team. Now, when the England team is as bad as it can get, we have noone who would get into the squad. I must say when I heard Brady saying we are in danger of going down the Wales and Scotland route, I started thinking of our squad and agreeing with him.

1. Yes, like I said you don't know me so you can't answer your own question as me. Only I can do that, you can only assume but you do not know. I on the other hand do...... Its a bit stupid to ask me a question that I have answered and then tell me the answer I gave about myself is questionable when you don't know me..... but by all means assume away....

2. Ok

3. Your right, I won't answer that question but (again you don't know me so you can't say otherwise really or your just answering your own question, he hence no point even asking) but cutbacks and target settings are wholesale in business these days, and the point in question here is not me and my job, I have a qualification to do my job and am able to do so on a regular basis....

I never said it was a 'givin' you did. I said we could have got out of that group and not have no chance of qualification at this point of the campaign.

How can you even assume I will be on here in 2-4 years calling for heads when we don't even know who the manager will be, like your assuming in fairness to ya :rolleyes:

Right mate, if you're telling me that you'd resign from a well paying job, fair play. 99% of people wouldn't. My experience says 100% but I'll allow you to be the 1%.

You're able to do your job because I'd bet you've never been given a crazy target, that has been achieved by only 2 other people in 80 years and both of whom had more/better resources than you.

If your barometer of success is qualification, you will be on here in 2-4 years shouting for the next fella to go because we will not qualify for Euro 2016 and WC 2018. We've only qualified for successive tournaments once in our history and that was with a far better squad than the one we now have. It doesn't matter if Guardiola or Mourinho takes the job, the odds would be ridiculously heavily stacked against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

1. A job that almost anyone could do? Regardless of qualification...... I know your trying to bait me here on word play considering the unemployment levels in the country but it won't happen........

Righhttt?
    So based on your definition of what a 'high standard job' is, how does being manager of a football team fit in with this?

2. Fair play to him, I suppose he is the first and only one to do that as well is he??? So he got us to the Euro's where we basically collapsed and failed miserably in the following qualification campaign.... a minute aspect of success in a overall poor tenure in my opinion....
    What's your measure of success then for the next candidate?
    Qualification for every major finals?
    Sorry to break this to you, but you're likely to spend a long time frustrated and angry so.
    Maybe you should just give up 'supporting' the Irish soccer team?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

So who are the contenders?

O'Neill
    McDermott
    Keane
    Hughton
    Coyle
    McCarthy

????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I won't partake in thanking Trap, as I feel his achievements were nothing we shouldn't expect, and indeed they were limited from further achievement by his stubborn personnel choices, man management skills and playing style.

I will say though, it was a classy move to forego the rest of the payment in his contract from a struggling federation. He's a legendary footballing figure and I wish him a happy retirement should he decide to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

How can people say Trapattoni was here for the money? It seems he took at least 2 pay-cuts to stay in the job and he didn't accept the full compensation package (which he was entitled to), so how does that argument stand up?

If he was really looking for money wouldn't he have been flashing his C.V. at some oil sheiks to bring winning football to Abu Dhabi or U.A.E. or something?

And can we just realise this, we are not getting Alex Ferguson, we are not getting Harry Redknapp and we are not getting Chris Hughton.

There's also a long list of people we shouldn't want but they're still being shockingly spat out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

It's a hard one.

He got us to a play off for the world cup, we were robbed in Paris and should have qualified, he brought us to our 1st euro's in 24 years, however this is where the coin flips, in terms of his results and his achievements he can take a stance and say I've over achieved with these players, which to a large degree is correct.

Never having lost a competitive away game (with the exception of last night).
    If we had won the 2 games which we may well should have on Friday and Tuesday we would be in poll position to qualify and nothing would be said, however his alienation and rigidness to stick to his system and mold the players around the system rather than the system around the players at his disposal is what has cost him his job.

Not speaking fluent English isn't a sackable offense people need to get a grip with this, he doesn't have to speak it fluently. football is a universal language and you can clearly see by the tactics utilised by the players on the pitch he got his point across.

We've digressed as a footballing nation whilst achieving qualification to a major tournament, he's not bothered to come look at players play in leagues, he doesn't attend Ireland under age matches, he had alienated numerous players and he speaks publicly about things that should stay in the dressing room, he has made good players Look ordinary. Case in point Seamus Coleman, a player who is seen more in the opposition box than his own week in week out for Everton yet when he plays for Ireland he is afraid to go across the halfway line.

We alienate the midfield and play back to front, and rinse and repeat looking for scraps, we play Walters on the wing as he adds a physical presence along with Pilkington in the hope that flick on's get to someone in instead of playing intelligent players like Wes who can play in players on the ground and instead of Long running around like a headless chicken for flick on he can actually do what he does best and play off the shoulder awaiting through balls.

It frustrates me cause he's done a good job for the 1st 4 years even though we didn't play great football but we got the results, but ultimately I think where he falls down is that football has changed in the last 10 years and sadly his footballing philosophy hasn't.

He had to go, my only hope now is that we don't sign a Martin O'Neill who will run when the going gets tough, I hope we sign a young coach with a philosophy towards shaping a new squad, someone like Lambert who has taken Villa to a new level, or Rodgers, we need a coach of today not a coach of 1990.

If I was an Irish player I would probably feel like the shackles are off and we can go and express ourselves, not only that but their are plenty of players on the peripheral who would be very interested in this news.

Ford
    Coleman---Dunne---Clark
    Wilson/Kelly
    Gibson---Mcarthy
    Brady
    Wes
    McGeady/Mclean

Keane/Long

Is the team I would like to see line out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Thanks for everything, Trap.

I can remember well the way things were before the man came along. The jeers and taunts from rival fans on these islands. When we slumped below NI and were involved in several humiliating results. Then Trap came along and made us competitive. We got to a play-off and came desperately close to getting to the 2010 WC. Then we finally won the play-off to get to the Euros, conceding just 3 goals in 14 games and keeping 11 clean sheets before the tournament started.

Yes we found out we were out of our depth, but at least we were there.

I do believe he will be remembered fondly in time, in part because of what's about to follow him. As Quinn and Robbie Keane said, our problems go way beyond the management.

Anyways good luck and god bless, Trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Thanks for everything, Trap.

I can remember well the way things were before the man came along. The jeers and taunts from rival fans on these islands. When we slumped below NI and were involved in several humiliating results.

In fairness we didn't 'slump' below Northern Ireland. The North were actually registering wins against the likes of Sweden, Denmark and Spain around this time and climbing into the 20's and 30's in the rankings. To be below them at that point does not have the same meaning as if we were below them today for example.

In reality when when Trap took over we were 41st in the rankings. We're currently 44th and I imagine after two losses in a week we'll probably be down in the 50's when the new rankings are published tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Ford
    Coleman---Dunne---Clark
    Wilson/Kelly
    Gibson---Mcarthy
    Brady
    Wes
    McGeady/Mclean

Keane/Long

The problems with that team are multiple.

Wes Hoolahan is now in and out of the Norwich team, does that make him good enough for Ireland?
    Robbie Keane is regressing every season in the US.
    Richard Dunne is now a Championship player.
    Why is McGeady still in Russia?
    Has McClean got attitude problems that saw Sunderland sell him?
    Robbie Brady, good prospect but raw and rejected by Man U.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

in a word

NEIL LENNON....................................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

OK.
    Took a team ranked35th in the world when he too over to outside the top 40, into a major finalsthen almost out of the top 50, and into pot 4 for the next qualifying campaign = success

Fixed your rose tinted point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

deadeye187 wrote: »
    in a word

NEIL LENNON....................................

He gets enough death threats as it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Ford
    Coleman---Dunne---Clark
    Wilson/Kelly
    Gibson---Mcarthy
    Brady
    Wes
    McGeady/Mclean

Keane/Long

Its not bad but surely Keane, Dunne and O'Shea will be hanging up the boots soon, will any of them be involved in the next campaign?

Some new players will need to be introduced, Stokes, Hendrick, Meyler and maybe even Carruthers next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Godge wrote: »
    The problems with that team are multiple.

Wes Hoolahan is now in and out of the Norwich team, does that make him good enough for Ireland?
    Robbie Keane is regressing every season in the US.
    Richard Dunne is now a Championship player.
    Why is McGeady still in Russia?
    Has McClean got attitude problems that saw Sunderland sell him?
    Robbie Brady, good prospect but raw and rejected by Man U.

I'm not sayin that's our long term team by any means but to me that would be our best 11 for the remainder of qualifying by all means shake it up then, hole you say keane is regressing every year there is no doubt about that but take him out of the team and where do the goals come from, he has a nack of right place right time. With better service he could still do a job in not saying start him every game hence long in there,

Richard dunne maybe a championship player but that's partly to being out for a season with an injury and no premiership team wanting to take a punt, he's still be far and away the best natural defender we have,

Hooligan may well be in and out of a Norwich team but behind the striker he offers us something we lack and that's creativity, by all means if there is another player with his intelligence get him in there.

Brady may be raw but he's doing well for hull and will only get better.

McLean, issues that's all well but Di CAnio seems to have issues with everyone all I know is that every game hes played in for Ireland his work ethic and commitment has been 110%

As for McGeady, he's playing for a good team in Russia I don't seen the problem there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

we were robbed in Paris and should have qualified,

This is a fallacy that really needs to stop being repeated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

im as pessimistic as any Irish fan, but been in Paris that night im 99% sure we would have won that penalty shootout had we got that far.

France players were not up for it. Fighting amongst themselves, pish poor, heads down etc.

We will never know and its done and dusted...Thats football, **** happens.

I think its different when you go to games. You see obvious things you would never see in on TV.

I remember talking to mates at half time telling them if we scored again the game was over. They agreed. I would never have said that in million years had I been in pub.

Dont think i will ever say it again either:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

im as pessimistic as any Irish fan, but been in Paris that night im 99% sure we would have won that penalty shootout had we got that far.

France players were not up for it. Fighting amongst themselves, pish poor, heads down etc.

We will never know and its done and dusted...Thats football, **** happens.

I think its different when you go to games. You see obvious things you would never see in on TV.

I remember talking to mates at half time telling them if we scored again the game was over. They agreed. I would never have said that in million years had I been in pub.

Dont think i will ever say it again either:)

There's no way in hell we would have won that penalty shootout. Regardless of the French attitudes, they are technically miles better than us, we wouldn't have coped with the pressure tbh, it's a national thing.

SantryRed wrote: »
    There's no way in hell we would have won that penalty shootout. Regardless of the French attitudes, they are technically miles better than us, we wouldn't have coped with the pressure tbh, it's a national thing.

Honestly would agree had I not been there.

Like I say pessimism comes with me and national team, but I honestly think we have won that shootout.

my 2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Its just speculation though, we never will know what would have happened if it had gone to a shoot out, to say we definitely would have qualified is wrong though

Not talking about you here specifically Kew, just people who say we were robbed out of going to the WC because of the handball. We were robbed of a fair chance to get ourselves there. That's it

Just a quick word on the Departed, thanks for the good work done Trap, the time has been right to go, in truth probably after the Euros, but I can see why he was given a shot at the WC. Hopefully the next man in can be progressive

kryogen wrote: »
    Its just speculation though, we never will know what would have happened if it had gone to a shoot out, to say we definitely would have qualified is wrong though

Not talking about you here specifically Kew, just people who say we were robbed out of going to the WC because of the handball. We were robbed of a fair chance to get ourselves there. That's it

Just a quick word on the Departed, thanks for the good work done Trap, the time has been right to go, in truth probably after the Euros, but I can see why he was given a shot at the WC. Hopefully the next man in can be progressive

yes i agree..

said it before few times, but I still dont blame Henry. He did what any player would have done.

Maybe end of game with Dunne was not appropriate, but thats another story

• Advertisement
Advertisement