Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bedroom chipboard floor boards creaking when walked on

Options
  • 11-09-2013 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hi Apartment is just 8 years old - when you walk on the floor boards in the bedrooms, it makes lots of creaking sounds. They are chipboard floor boards. I removed carpet and put a number of screws on boards - I think it improved slightly but still making lots of noise when walk on the floor boards. Is it possible to stop the creaking sound without removing the floor boards ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Be careful where you screw the floor, pipes or cables may be underneath, sprinkle talcum powder into the joints to stop the creeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

Where could I buy talcum powder? How does this help? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

harry999 wrote: »
    Really??
    Any chemist, supermarket and probably in a corner shop.

It eases the friction making the noise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

harry999 wrote: »
    Baby powder will do as well, it's an old carpenters trick, rubbing a candle on drawer runners is another one, it reduces friction.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Try loosing weight .But seriously you may need more screws .Keep to the line of screws already in place .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

anto9 wrote: »
    Try loosing weight .But seriously you may need more screws .Keep to the line of screws already in place .

Get a scanner if you are going to do this to make sure you don't go through pipes or wires. They are only about a €10 but could save you a lot of money in repairs and safety.

Advertisement