Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Lansdowne Bore!

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Alias G wrote: »
    A fanbase which doesn't regularly attend local domestic games coupled with high ticket prices are not the ingredients of an impressive stadium atmosphere.
    Why does it have to be domestic games? Surely if you are a regular attendee at any football match around the world, you will have the same experience of standing up and singing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Because they're amature fans.

If you're not used to going to games on a regular basis except when you get a weekend in Manchester off your misses one Christmas, then chants and atmosphere can't just appear out of nothing on the spot.

You see it a lot in rugby how chants and atmosphere has evolved over the decades, 22,000 average attendance at Leinster last season (more than some English Premiership teams) and having fans of the national team being regular week to week fans for their club has a knock on effect, even bringing "club" chants to national games etc. but also the willingness to get involved as they do week to week with their club.

GAA too, every year spending summer at games etc., the novelty and self concious nature wears off and it becomes more about just passion and supporting the team.

Irish football supporters are horrible compared to rugby in Lansdowne or GAA fans in Croker. Great when they go away to tournaments though, strangely. Maybe it's because you'll only get hardcore fans travelling for tournaments but not all bother with every home game.

When you have a "singing section" in the crowd, you can forget about it.

I don't necessarily disagree with your overriding point, but this is a terrible example. The atmosphere for Ireland Rugby games is funereal. Landsdowne Road is a disgrace recently on that front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Some stadiums will never have any atmosphere, no matter what.
    But it is the supporters that have to create it most of all.

The stadium i have been to most in Holland is abviously the Feyenoord stadium.
    Now the difference between atmosphere when Feyenoord plays there or when Holland plays there is day and night.

When Feyenoord plays, the majority are Feyenoord/football fans. When Holland plays there is just an unhealthy amount of people there that has been invited by sponsors and the likes. People who dont have much of a connection with the game and are on a day/night out in stead of going to a match to support their favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

inforfun wrote: »
    Some stadiums will never have any atmosphere, no matter what.
    But it is the supporters that have to create it most of all.

The stadium i have been to most in Holland is abviously the Feyenoord stadium.
    Now the difference between atmosphere when Feyenoord plays there or when Holland plays there is day and light.

When Feyenoord plays, the majority are Feyenoord/football fans. When Holland plays there is just an unhealthy amount of people there that has been invited by sponsors and the likes. People who dont have much of a connection with the game and are on a day/night out in stead of going to a match to support their favourites.

Wouldn't be another point, that the clubs in the Netherlands have such a big rivalry among each other, that they refuse to support their national team together, in terms of a Feyenoord supporter cheering for a team with Ajax players in it, for example? That's what I was told by a few Ajax supporters anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be another point, that the clubs in the Netherlands have such a big rivalry among each other, that they refuse to support their national team together, in terms of a Feyenoord supporter cheering for a team with Ajax players in it, for example? That's what I was told by a few Ajax supporters anyway.

Nah... only the real die hards would think like that. Those are also the ones who are banned from the stadium :D
    Of course i have thought myself at times that there were too many from this team and too few from my team but that is always the case.

But the reason why most club supporters say "**** it" to the national team for me is the "sponsor" supporter taking up too many seats. Till the point where you cant even get tickets anymore. There have been matches of Holland played at EC finals where they were allocated 15000 tickets and only 5000 ended up with "real" football supporters.

It is something that i always notice, when Holand is in front, lots of signing and partying, including that ****ing annoying orchestra that shows up everywhere. When they are behind and need the support, you hear nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

inforfun wrote: »
    Nah... only the real die hards would think like that. Those are also the ones who are banned from the stadium :D
    Of course i have thought myself at times that there were too many from this team and too few from my team but that is always the case.

But the reason why most club supporters say "**** it" to the national team for me is the "sponsor" supporter taking up too many seats. Till the point where you cant even get tickets anymore. There have been matches of Holland played at EC finals where they were allocated 15000 tickets and only 5000 ended up with "real" football supporters.

It is something that i always notice, when Holand is in front, lots of signing and partying, including that ****ing annoying orchestra that shows up everywhere. When they are behind and need the support, you hear nothing.

It was a few of them indeed, I guess 'F Side' rings a bell? ;)

Anyway, the situation in Germany is not much different, they have that official 'Fan Club', tickets for family members of the sponsors, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

cournioni wrote: »
    Why does it have to be domestic games? Surely if you are a regular attendee at any football match around the world, you will have the same experience of standing up and singing.

You don't get absorbed into the culture of football supporting groups such as ultras by attending occasional matches around the globe.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Alias G wrote: »
    You don't get absorbed into the culture of football supporting groups such as ultras by attending occasional matches around the globe.
    Who says it is occasional? There are a lot of EPL season ticket holders on boards alone who go to more than the occasional matches as you put it.

The majority of these fans will be very likely to sing at Ireland matches, along with any other regular attendees of football matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

darced wrote: »
    yea iv always found opening my mouth has a detrimental impact on my ability to use my eyes
    whats with these Ultra's?are they not scumbag hooligans?
    they exist, as scumbags exist everywhere, if your generalising though, no

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

Ultras are the core of any club. They raise money to pay for displays, flares etc to improve the atmosphere which can in turn help a team's performance. This obviously benefits the club as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Lucan Bohs wrote: »
    Ultras are the core of any club. They raise money to pay for displays, flares etc to improve the atmosphere which can in turn help a team's performance. This obviously benefits the club as a whole.

I think if you google "football Ultra's" you will find a very different definition to what most people consider an ultra to be.

It might mean something else to you, but to be honest when most people hear the word Ultra, "core of the club" is not what they think. Ultra's and violence go hand in hand which is why many clubs have tried to distance themselves from the clubs or "firms" that ultra's tend to congregate towards even going so far as to ban them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Kirby wrote: »
    I think if you google "football Ultra's" you will find a very different definition to what most people consider an ultra to be.

It might mean something else to you, but to be honest when most people hear the word Ultra, "core of the club" is not what they think. Ultra's and violence go hand in hand which is why many clubs have tried to distance themselves from the clubs or "firms" that ultra's tend to congregate towards even going so far as to ban them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultras

"Ultras are a type of sports fans renowned for their fanatical support and elaborate displays"

Most people in Ireland due to ignorance. Perceptions in countries with properly supported domestic leagues are often quite different to our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

cournioni wrote: »
    Who says it is occasional? There are a lot of EPL season ticket holders on boards alone who go to more than the occasional matches as you put it

And those guys are very much in the minority for obvious reasons. We all know plenty of United, Liverpool and Celtic fans. I'd say the vast majority of them would be lucky to get over once a year. Some do as you say but you are missing my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Kirby wrote: »

That's just incorrect, and ultras don't congregate towards firms at all.

Stop talking out your behind before you make a fool of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Its the Aviva. I've been to a few rugby matches there and the place is like being in a church. Doesnt lend to a good atmosphere at all, its not a patch on the old Lansdowne Road. The Lansdowne Roar is a thing well and truly of the past,sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

its a different kind of sport! have you ever noticed WHEN crowds start chants, usually when the ball has gone dead, after the action has passed.

also comparison to boxing really? its an individual sport, unless a few friends are going to create a chant for them, plus a boxer has a very finite life span, so the chant would die with him. how long are most football clubs around, the people in attendance have done so for quite a while, the chants are around for quite a while and 'new' chants are often just evolutions of old.
    and boxing is 3mins of intensive rounds, usually good cheering before/after and after a good hit. not really time for chants, do you see supporters launching into chants when a team is on a fast counter?

although i will admit, crap like 'the poznan' annoys the **** out of me, turning your back on the action... well then yea you really are there for a day out

Advertisement