Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigration - Effect on Children?

Options
  • 11-09-2013 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Myself and my husband are seriously thinking of a move to the UK for obvious reasons - he is out of work, mortgage arrears etc. He is originally from the UK, so knows about areas to live and not to live. We have been looking at jobs and salaries and the cost of living, and it seems we would be much better off over there and on many levels, I know it would be the right move for us.

My biggest worry are my children. I have 2 boys age 11 and 13 - one just gone into 6th class, the other into secondary school. Both of them have many friends, are very involved in our local community sports-wise, love their new school and teacher, have great relationships with their grandparents and aunts and uncles. I know it will break both of their hears to leave all that behind.

Anyone any experience of this? I know both will adjust in time, and make new friends and return to being the happy children they now are...but could it do damage to their personalities, confidence, or other parts of their lives??

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

My children are a lot younger (3 and 5) and we are in Australia but can give you some thoughts.

Kids are very adaptable. I'm not saying they won't miss family, friends etc. but they can stay in touch so easily via Skype, whats app, Facebook etc.

Plus the UK is so close to home I'm sure they will be lots of opportunity for family to visit and you to go home too.

Is it a permanent move? If it is only temporary perhaps you can get them to see that it is opportunity to live somewhere else but they will head home. Perhaps have a list of the exciting things they can do in your new location? For example see a live Premiership game or visit a theme park, things they can't do at home. Maybe point out that with more money coming in they will enjoy a better quality of life too- more cinema trips, clothes etc. What is in it for them?

At their age too you can really include them in the planning. Let them give opinions on rental houses, schools etc so they don't feel you are completely imposing all this on them.

As for the effect on their confidence etc perhaps it might make them more resilient. Yes it will be tough but if they go there, settle in, make more friends etc. then having to do that again in their future won't be as daunting. For example moving for college or work when older. It could be a positive experience.

I'm sure they will still complain that you are ruining their lives, but at their age they should be able to understand that from a financial perspective it makes most sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My sister, her husband and their 2 sons (14 and 12) are moving to UK this week. I worry about how it will affect them too especially the 12 year old. He's big into sport so I suppose they'll get him into that as soon as they can although I doubt they'll have a hurling club (his favourite) nearby.

His parents are really great though and very hands on so they'll be spending their weekends doing family activities. It'll be interesting to see how quickly the Irish accent will disappear!

We're very sad to see them go even though it's not too far away. My son is 2.5yrs and he loves playing with the 12 yr old. They are also his only cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies.

We haven't mentioned the move to them just yet and are continuing our lives as normal, and last night even registered the youngest lad for secondary school next year. Another problem for me though - he loved the school, met some teachers and so on, and all I could think was 'little does he know he probably won't be going here at all..'

I am feeling a huge amount of guilt that I have to do this to them..and yet, as the first poster said, a huge amount of positivity for the experiences we can offer them if we move (premiership matches, for example!).

It's a tough one...

Advertisement