Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spam on the increase again

Options
  • 11-09-2013 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

It's been bad this past month .... this morning I got 4 genuine e-mails and 70 e-mails offering increased 'length' and cheap drugs. And throughout the day I will probably get another 50. Now I could spot these e-mails as spam from a mile away. Just do not understand why they can't be filtered out by Eircom. After all they are all tagged as 'might be spam' ....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Claggan wrote: »
    It's been bad this past month .... this morning I got 4 genuine e-mails and 70 e-mails offering increased 'length' and cheap drugs. And throughout the day I will probably get another 50. Now I could spot these e-mails as spam from a mile away. Just do not understand why they can't be filtered out by Eircom. After all they are all tagged as 'might be spam' ....
    Hi Claggan

if you are getting spam emails from the same e-mail address. If you right you click on the e-mail address' in question and select 'mark as spam' all future mails from those address will be sent to the spam folder and not your inbox.

I hope that helps.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Claggan

Thank you .... but I don't want them to come anywhere near me. These very obvious spam e-mails must be easy for Eircom to filter out before they get to me. And they are from multiple addresses too.

Claggan wrote: »
    Thank you .... but I don't want them to come anywhere near me. These very obvious spam e-mails must be easy for Eircom to filter out before they get to me. And they are from multiple addresses too.

Hi Claggan,

We do try and filter the spam from reaching the account. However if there is a noticeable increase as you outlined.

We have set up suggestions to try and curb spam - http://bit.ly/13MKudx

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭abff

I've also noticed a huge increase in the number of spam emails I've been receiving.  It happened suddenly a week or two ago and most of them are offering enlargement possibilities or photos of your ladies misbehaving.  I keep clicking om block sender, but they just keep coming.

I thought I might have inadvertently done something to get onto the radar screen for these spammers (though in all honesty, I have not logged onto any iffy sites and I don't think any of my family have), but from the above postings, it looks as if this is a general problem and that eircom's spam filters have been breached in some way.

I don't even have an eircom email address.  My ISP is eircom, but I kept my old email address when I changed provider.  But, as far as I know, I receive my emails through eircom's server.  I was wondering if changing my email address to my eircom account might help, but I guess not if other people are having similar problems.

abff wrote: »
    I've also noticed a huge increase in the number of spam emails I've been receiving.  It happened suddenly a week or two ago and most of them are offering enlargement possibilities or photos of your ladies misbehaving.  I keep clicking om block sender, but they just keep coming.

I thought I might have inadvertently done something to get onto the radar screen for these spammers (though in all honesty, I have not logged onto any iffy sites and I don't think any of my family have), but from the above postings, it looks as if this is a general problem and that eircom's spam filters have been breached in some way.

I don't even have an eircom email address.  My ISP is eircom, but I kept my old email address when I changed provider.  But, as far as I know, I receive my emails through eircom's server.  I was wondering if changing my email address to my eircom account might help, but I guess not if other people are having similar problems.
    Hi abff,

I can assure you that eircom do not give out any e-mail address to third party market databases. So it is very difficult to determine how these senders (spam) are selecting e-mail address' in some cases they could just be trying thousands of variations of eircom.net e-mail accounts. 

So it is very hard to stop some spam mails coming through. Changing your e-mail address is an option if you have already tried all the following tips - http://bit.ly/GZInuT

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

With all due respect to Eircom, the email service they provide is tangential to their business model at best. Gmail's spam filtering is excellent, so I suggest you do the following:

1. Set up a gmail account.
    2. Set it to poll your usual address for email. This will pull emails into your gmail inbox and filter the spam.
    3. Set up your usual address as a 'send from' in gmail. This will mean that you can still send from your usual address, but using the preferable gmail interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭abff

I've also noticed a huge increase in the number of spam emails I've been receiving. It happened suddenly a week or two ago and most of them are offering enlargement possibilities or photos of your ladies misbehaving. I keep clicking om block sender, but they just keep coming.

I don't even have an eircom email address. My ISP is eircom, but I kept my old email address when I changed provider. But, as far as I know, I receive my emails through eircom's server. I was wondering if changing my email address to my eircom account might help, but I guess not if other people are having similar problems.
    Hi abff,

I can assure you that eircom do not give out any e-mail address to third party market databases. So it is very difficult to determine how these senders (spam) are selecting e-mail address' in some cases they could just be trying thousands of variations of eircom.net e-mail accounts.

So it is very hard to stop some spam mails coming through. Changing your e-mail address is an option if you have already tried all the following tips - http://bit.ly/GZInuT

Thanks, Mark
    Hi Mark

Thanks for your response.

It never occurred to me that eircom would give out my email address and I wasn't for a moment suggesting that in my earlier post.

I had a look through your tips and I would say I'm already doing all the things you suggest. My problem is a sudden increase in the amount of spam which started about a week or two ago - most of them to do with "enlargement" and related topics. When I checked my email at around 8:30 tonight, I had 92 items in my inbox, nearly all of them spam. I'm on a few mailing lists and I generally get between 5 and 10 emails a day, but I never got anything even remotely approaching 92 before last week and the number of emails seems to be increasing day after day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

I've also noticed a huge increase in the number of spam emails I've been receiving.  It happened suddenly a week or two ago and most of them are offering enlargement possibilities or photos of your ladies misbehaving.  I keep clicking om block sender, but they just keep coming.

I don't even have an eircom email address.  My ISP is eircom, but I kept my old email address when I changed provider.  But, as far as I know, I receive my emails through eircom's server.  I was wondering if changing my email address to my eircom account might help, but I guess not if other people are having similar problems.
    Hi abff,

Thanks, Mark
    Hi Mark

Thanks for your response.

It never occurred to me that eircom would give out my email address and I wasn't for a moment suggesting that in my earlier post.

I had a look through your tips and I would say I'm already doing all the things you suggest.  My problem is a sudden increase in the amount of spam which started about a week or two ago - most of them to do with "enlargement" and related topics.  When I checked my email at around 8:30 tonight, I had 92 items in my inbox, nearly all of them spam.  I'm on a few mailing lists and I generally get between 5 and 10 emails a day, but I never got anything even remotely approaching 92 before last week and the number of emails seems to be increasing day after day.
    Hi abff,

I'm sorry to hear you are still having issues after the checklist, I'm afraid there is no more we can do from this channel here. However if you contact the support team on 1890 260 260 (option 0) They'll be able to look into this and hopefully resolve this for you.

Thanks

Tracey

Advertisement