Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Myanmar (Burma)

• 11-09-2013 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

So will be stopping off in Myanmar next Jan/Feb while doing the whole SE Asia travel but have a few queries for anyone who has already been there (Roughly 2 and half weeks there in total).

The plan is to arrive in Yangon and spend a few days there before heading on to Bagan and Mandalay.

I've heard that there are no real "budget" hotels/hostels in Myanmar, anybody have any insights on this or experience (places, costs etc). Not sure if Jan/Feb is a busy tourist season there which again could influence prices.

The Visa - I guess this has to be applied for beforehand but how does one go about, is it through the UK or?? :confused:

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Nov-Feb is the main tourist season so yes that will affect your budget. From what I gather you need to book your accommodation in advance because there is such a shortage (most people get their current hotel to book their next one in the next city)

I'm getting my visa through Trailfinders as they do a courier service to the London embassy. Thought if you are already in SE Asia than you can get yours in Bangkok in one day at the embassy there.

Burma is dearer than the rest of SE Asia; consensus seems to be that €40 a day will get you decent meals, bus journeys, tourist sites and a basic private room ensuite with AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Joziburg

Cheers for the info. Yeah gonna have to get on the whole accommodation thing asap. When are you planning on visiting there?
    I didn't know about the visa service offered through Trailfinders - is that because are you booking the trip with them also. Would be good to hear about the costs etc.

I was reviewing yesterday and it appeared to do it yourself you send your application form and passport to the embassy in London.

I'm heading at the end of October for a month.

Anyone can use the visa service with Trailfinders. Think they charge €40 to do it plus whatever the visa costs. Much handier I think than trying to organize it yourself and worrying about passport in the post. Remember though that the visa is only valid for 3 months from date of issue so you'd probably be better to get it out in SE Asia.

I've only got a flight booked at the moment. Will organize accommodation for the first few nights in Yangon and then just wing it from there.

Meathlass wrote: »

Anyone can use the visa service with Trailfinders. Think they charge €40 to do it plus whatever the visa costs. Much handier I think than trying to organize it yourself and worrying about passport in the post. Remember though that the visa is only valid for 3 months from date of issue so you'd probably be better to get it out in SE Asia.

I've only got a flight booked at the moment. Will organize accommodation for the first few nights in Yangon and then just wing it from there.

Cheers....i'm entering from India around the end of Jan. Haven't actually booked the flight just yet cos no firm date set but intend to over the coming weeks. I'd looked at the Burmese embassy in Delhi website and was put off by something on it so I was thinking of just arranging the visa around November time here in Dublin, will prob use Trailfinders now that you mentioned it!

Would be great to hear how you get on over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Joziburg wrote: »

I've heard that there are no real "budget" hotels/hostels in Myanmar, anybody have any insights on this or experience (places, costs etc). Not sure if Jan/Feb is a busy tourist season there which again could influence prices.

The Visa - I guess this has to be applied for beforehand but how does one go about, is it through the UK or?? :confused:

Thanks

No hostels per se but lots of budget accommodation. I booked a few nights in Yangon in advance but rest of places (Bagan, Mandalay, Lake Inle/Nyaungshwe) we just got when we turned up. I was there for a month in 2008 so might have got busier and more touristed now with the junta relaxing some of it's stranglehold in last couple of years.

Try to avoid staying in government ran guest-houses as funds go to fat cat politicians and military and not to local people.

We got visas in their Beijing embassy as we were passing through, it took an hour and was pretty easy. You could probably do the same in India if you don't get it before leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I visited many years ago...
    The overnight ferry from Mandalay to Pagan was a great experience.
    Pagan temples were astonishing.

Packing a bottle of whiskey and a carton of cigarettes was a well-known method of circumventing strict currency controls. Nowadays I might be more inclined to check what essentials a local NGO would welcome to assist their work.

Got my visa this morning. Took 2 weeks and cost €53 with Trailfinders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I was here in July 2011, just before they started reforms properly. No coke or ATM's then.
    I spent about $700 in 23 days. Now I'm led to believe things have gotten more expensive now it's getting more visitors and I guess July is low season but I'd still be surprised if you had to pay 40 euro a day to get by. Sure hope not anyway.

For the visa I got mine in Burmese visa in bangkok. It cost around $40 from memory. It was a fairly simple process.

I tell this to anyone who will listen to me Bagan is 1 of the most beautiful and under-rated sites in the world. If nothing else make sure you visit it.

Just wondering about the visa....

So I understand that once your tourist visa application for Burma is processed it is valid for 3 months. I also know that you are permitted to stay in Burma for 28 days on a tourist visa.

My question is as follows, say your visa is processed on 20th November 2013, that means it is valid until 20th Feb 2014. Does this mean that you have to arrive and be gone from Burma by 20th Feb, or can you arrive say on 19th Feb 2014 and stay the usual 28 days applicable for a tourist??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

There is an Irish guy running around the world and he is in Myanmar now so having a look at his blog below might provide good tips:

http://www.theworldjog.com/blog/

• Advertisement

Joziburg wrote: »
    Just wondering about the visa....

So I understand that once your tourist visa application for Burma is processed it is valid for 3 months. I also know that you are permitted to stay in Burma for 28 days on a tourist visa.

My question is as follows, say your visa is processed on 20th November 2013, that means it is valid until 20th Feb 2014. Does this mean that you have to arrive and be gone from Burma by 20th Feb, or can you arrive say on 19th Feb 2014 and stay the usual 28 days applicable for a tourist??

You'd have to be gone by the 20th February. Definitely recommend going.

'm just back a few days ago. Amazing place - Bagan an absolute highlight. I spent on average €60 a day staying in hotels with ensuites - the most expensive I stayed in was at Ngapali Beach for €70 a night and the cheapest was in Mrauk-U for €15 a night. Accommodation needs to be booked in advance unless you are very flexible over there. I used agoda.com for a lot of bookings I made. Also there's atms everywhere but they can be a bit temperamental and you'll still need dollars for entry to some sites and for plane and train travel.

Any questions pm me.

You'd have to be gone by the 20th February. Definitely recommend going.

'm just back a few days ago. Amazing place - Bagan an absolute highlight. I spent on average €60 a day staying in hotels with ensuites - the most expensive I stayed in was at Ngapali Beach for €70 a night and the cheapest was in Mrauk-U for €15 a night. Accommodation needs to be booked in advance unless you are very flexible over there. I used agoda.com for a lot of bookings I made. Also there's atms everywhere but they can be a bit temperamental and you'll still need dollars for entry to some sites and for plane and train travel.

Any questions pm me.

Cheers for the info, glad you had a nice time - just waiting on the Visa to return from London myself. Will prob be in touch with ya

Advertisement