Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Grate/Fronts/Ashpans - Where to get?

Options
  • 11-09-2013 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for a grate, front and ash pan for a 14" fireplace. They seem to be VERY thin on the ground!

I've tried T & A in Blackpool. They're out of stock. Woodies in Blackpool don't have them either.

Is there anywhere else I could try?

TIA :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've seen a few grates and fronts at car boot sales, oddly. I was at one in Belgooly last week and there was definitely a few there, and also at the one in Rathcormack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Irish international trading tramore road have a large stock

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You could try Kelleher's Fireplaces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

As already mentioned, Irish Intl. have really good stock.

We're after getting 3 years so far from the grate I got there without any cracks or breaks.

All the DIY shops have stock from the same company which are very flimsy, and overpriced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Thanks guys! Went to Irish Intl in the end and got all three for a very reasonable price (I thought). Paid E40 for the lot. Much cheaper than Woodies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah i was just going to say Hickeys in town are doing them..Woodies are cronic for their prices and everything else... I hate having to go in there for stuff

I know!! I'm now on the hunt for a nice guard, but Woodie's are SO expensive!!!

Hickeys are fairly good and i think you can nearly bargin with them sometimes if it is quiet when you go in.. Dwyers also might have them, second hand shop is another options

I know!! I'm now on the hunt for a nice guard, but Woodie's are SO expensive!!!

Will you report back if you get one? I need one too, at a good price.

Will do.

• Advertisement

Just to say I bought a guard and log basket in Hickeys today. I bought the guard for E35 which I thought was a good price, and seems to be sturdy enough. I saw the same guard in Woodies for E39...

I did see cheaper guards for less than E20 in Woodies, but they were very flimsy. The log basket was stupidly cheap. I got a nice big round basket for E7.50!! Not bad, considering the cheapest basket I saw was in Woodies for 9.99 and it was tiny. To get a basket in the size I got would have been E22.

Shopping around is so worth it for bits like this delighted you got sorted. Tis great to see Hickeys up and running I hope they stay

I wanted to update this. We looked in Woodies (despite all the posts here) for fire guards and the cheapest was €30 for a really flimsy one. So, on a whim, we went across to Hanley's on the other side of the Kinsale road roundabout. They had a huge range of fireplace accessories at really reasonable prices. We can away with a decent sturdy fire guard for €16.99 :).

Advertisement