Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity...time to get rid of them?

Options
  • 11-09-2013 1:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

I used to be with ESB and switched to aitricity some years back...since then i've noticed what appears to be a huge increase in the size of the bills.

I've heard that they estimate the energy usage differently and divide it by the billing period or some such nonsense but the bottom line is instead of recieving a bill for example 37 euro( live by myself)..i've been getting bills in excess of 130 euro per billing period.

Anybody got any advice? Should i return to ESB or another provider?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Are you submitting meter readings or are you getting estimated bills?

If its estimated bills and you're not submitting meter readings then regardless of the provider your bills won't be 100% accurate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Cabaal wrote: »
    Are you submitting meter readings or are you getting estimated bills?

If its estimated bills and you're not submitting meter readings then regardless of the provider your bills won't be 100% accurate.

I have submitted readings and also estimated readings have been used...this was also the case when i was with ESB but the bills have been markedly larger with airtricity,none below 120-130 euro for teh same period.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm the same. I've already paid about 900 this year, and I still owe them 300!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Jebus, I'll never understand these threads.
    Read your meter today.
    Read it again this time next month.
    Subtract one figure from the other.
    Multiply the answer by your unit charge (it will be on the bill).
    Add the standing charge for the month. (daily charge x 30 approx)
    Add the PSO levy charge.
    Add 13.5% vat on the lot.

And there you have your ESB bill for the month. All you need to do then is find out what day Airtricty uses to calculate and issue the bill. They will tell you this over the phone. As long as you provide a reading around the bill issue date you can calculate your own bill to within a couple of Euro.
    It doesn't matter what supplier you're with, the difference in the unit and standing charges are miniscule. Competition my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

emeldc wrote: »
    Jebus, I'll never understand these threads.
    Read your meter today.
    Read it again this time next month.
    Subtract one figure from the other.
    Multiply the answer by your unit charge (it will be on the bill).
    Add the standing charge for the month. (daily charge x 30 approx)
    Add the PSO levy charge.
    Add 13.5% vat on the lot.

And there you have your ESB bill for the month. All you need to do then is find out what day Airtricty uses to calculate and issue the bill. They will tell you this over the phone. As long as you provide a reading around the bill issue date you can calculate your own bill to within a couple of Euro.
    It doesn't matter what supplier you're with, the difference in the unit and standing charges are miniscule. Competition my arse.

Absolutely !!!! Just look at the way the leccy suppliers are following each other with 2% price increases from 1st October.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Go to www.bonkers.ie and its calculator will tell you which is the cheapest electricity provider based on your current usage. I will be saving about €300 per annum when I switch to Bord Gais.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Vologda69 wrote: »
    . I will be saving about €300 per annum when I switch to Bord Gais.

Come back here in 12 months and see if that holds true!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

I thought the wind was free

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mandylevo

The three major compainies,ESB, Bord Gas and Airtricity, have been putting up there prices almost annually for the last few years, thats where your increases are coming from there is very little difference in the price per unit with all of them unfortunately we are all in the same boat so as long as they keep on getting their price hikes approved we'll be stuck with the increases

Advertisement