Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor mobile data 20GB for €10

• 11-09-2013 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

I needed a short term no contract broadband solution

I found the 1 month bill pay option here for €20.32 pm which stood out as being the best deal for my needs.

When I went to buy it in the shop it was half price (so €10.16) which will be the price for up to a year.

It's a micro-sim intended for a tablet but I've put it into an Android phone that is acting as a portable hot spot. I'm getting almost 4Mbit down which is the max Sky / Eircom could provide for the road I'm on Dublin. We watched 1 hour on Netflix via a Chromecast without it buffering while also browsing on 2 devices.

There's always potential here for the shop staff to have gotten it wrong and Meteor can often be pretty inconsistent with these sort of deals. I won't see a bill for a while to confirm that it's definitely the price.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Where did you get the crhomecast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

shipped from the states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

groom wrote: »
    I needed a short term no contract broadband solution

I found the 1 month bill pay option here for €20.32 pm which stood out as being the best deal for my needs.

When I went to buy it in the shop it was half price (so €10.16) which will be the price for up to a year.

It's a micro-sim intended for a tablet but I've put it into an Android phone that is acting as a portable hot spot. I'm getting almost 4Mbit down which is the max Sky / Eircom could provide for the road I'm on Dublin. We watched 1 hour on Netflix via a Chromecast without it buffering while also browsing on 2 devices.

There's always potential here for the shop staff to have gotten it wrong and Meteor can often be pretty inconsistent with these sort of deals. I won't see a bill for a while to confirm that it's definitely the price.
    If you log into your account you should be able to see what plan you are on and what it costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Jesus... Thats a good price for mobile data... Even tesco only do 15gb.

I take it that only data... No calls or texts included? Would be perfect for people looking to break away from eircom line rental and land lines... For broadband at least.

Is their coverage still poor or are they piggybacking on another network now.?

Edit... Would 20gb be the biggest data plan out there from the mobile networks?

Access wrote: »
    Is their coverage still poor or are they piggybacking on another network now.?

I've always found Meteor's data to be fast, around Dublin at least.

It's only data. The sim is marketed for tablets. I tried ringing the number as it was in a phone but it didn't call so looks like voice and calls are barred.

• Advertisement

It's only data. The sim is marketed for tablets. I tried ringing the number as it was in a phone but it didn't call so looks like voice and calls are barred.

That would be fine for my needs so as im itching to get rid of the landline!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

That would be fine for my needs so as im itching to get rid of the landline!

I got the €10/20 Gig deal about 2 weeks ago and its great , You can get 50 gig for €25 ,

I also ported my Landline to Blueface VOIP 9.99/month for 300 mins and its very good quality. I am using my DECT Phone System with a VOIP ATA thats 6/7 yrs old.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

galait wrote: »
    I got the €10/20 Gig deal about 2 weeks ago and its great , You can get 50 gig for €25 ,

I also ported my Landline to Blueface VOIP 9.99/month for 300 mins and its very good quality. I am using my DECT Phone System with a VOIP ATA thats 6/7 yrs old.

is this instor only - can't see anything online about these deals?

IRCA wrote: »
    is this instor only - can't see anything online about these deals?

10 Euro for 20 gig is in store (a4 photocopies on counter) , the 25 euro plan states it's only 30 gig but when users login to account it shows 50 gig as the allowance ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I got the €10 for 20GB deal a few weeks back in the Patrick Street store (Cork). It's a rolling 30 day contract too, so you can cancel at any time. Great deal in fairness.

• Advertisement

are you sure that you can get 50gb for 25 euro - can't see this on their site - which meteor store was this..?

http://www1.meteor.ie/mobilebroadband/billpay/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Got this deal over a year ago...gone back up to 20 now.

Wonder if i can cancel it and sign up again?!

glasso wrote: »
    are you sure that you can get 50gb for 25 euro - can't see this on their site - which meteor store was this..?

the 25 euro plan states it's only 30 gig but when users login to account it shows 50 gig as the allowance ,

http://forums.meteor.ie/t5/Mobile-Broadband/30GB-or-50GB/td-p/93882

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

Pacifico wrote: »
    Got this deal over a year ago...gone back up to 20 now.

Wonder if i can cancel it and sign up again?!

just ring customer service, I switched back upto 20 a month rang them and they switched it back down and credited me for a month as i was overcharged.

neo

• Registered Users Posts: 4 scruff96

Im getting unlimited data with 3 as part of a prepay plan for €20 a month. Just turn the phone into a hotspot and away you go :)

scruff96 wrote: »
    Im getting unlimited data with 3 as part of a prepay plan for €20 a month. Just turn the phone into a hotspot and away you go :)

I also use the 3 deal for my Iphone , Last weekend when I was close to the 20GB Limit on Meteor I popped in the 3 sim into my E3131/TPLink Router and worked like a charm all weekend with no limits , I will say the VOIP and D*Box were not as happy with 3 Network as they were with the Meteor Network (Both showing full signal) , Maybe because the nearest 3 tower is a mile further away than the meteor one which is 4.2 miles as the crow flies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

how much data is required for heavy browsing only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

scruff96 wrote: »

Would they have a problem with you using your phone plan as a broadband service (tethering), thought that was against their terms of service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭loopymum

neonitrix wrote: »
    just ring customer service, I switched back upto 20 a month rang them and they switched it back down and credited me for a month as i was overcharged.

neo

Same here, I sent them an email complaining and they told me contact the cancellations team.
    They credited the account and put me back on the 10euro plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Edit... Would 20gb be the biggest data plan out there from the mobile networks?

3 has 60Gb for €35/month contract.

• Advertisement

flutered wrote: »
    how much data is required for heavy browsing only.

15Gb would be loads for browsing only. Its when your using it for watching films/TV that you need big data packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Beware, I have two friends who have been landed with several hundred Euro bills with Meteor. Both on this tariff. One got caught because Meteor happily changed their tariff from 5GB to 20GB and handed them a free modem but neglected to say it would only kick in two weeks later instead of immediately.

kn wrote: »
    15Gb would be loads for browsing only. Its when your using it for watching films/TV that you need big data packages.

The second got caught out thinking the same.

The second got caught out thinking the same.

? 15Gb is a lot of data just for browsing i.e. 500Mb a day on average. Its when you stream from youtube (circa 300Mb/hour at normal settings) download films (circa 1Gb on average from iTunes) or watch BBC iplayer or the RTE player (circa 400Mb/hour) that you run into big data usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭paddym1

Thanks OP. Great value for 20Gb. Signed up yesterday.

By far the best deal (gone since August 28th for new customers) was the Tesco Mobile deal that gave you 15Gb free, including tethering, if you topped-up by €25+ in one top-up. The offer was 'for life' as long as you topped-up by €25 at least once before the offer ended. I am on triple credit with Tesco Mobile so I can actually stretch my by data allowance out to 17.5Gb and still retain the €25 top-up for calls/texts.

Tesco Mobile are introducing new mobile data packages in the next week I am led to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

No meteor store near here can you get this in carhponewarehouse I wonder?

By far the best deal (gone since August 28th for new customers) was the Tesco Mobile deal that gave you 15Gb free, including tethering, if you topped-up by €25+ in one top-up. The offer was 'for life' as long as you topped-up by €25 at least once before the offer ended. I am on triple credit with Tesco Mobile so I can actually stretch my by data allowance out to 17.5Gb and still retain the €25 top-up for calls/texts.

Tesco Mobile are introducing new mobile data packages in the next week I am led to believe.

I'm have that 15gb for €25 deal from tesco mobile at the moment too... and it's great to hear that they hopefully will be announcing mobile data packages shortly...

But a heads up to any future tesco mobile customers... tesco is on O2 so it has great coverage, but tesco limit speeds to 2mb download and there is no way around this no matter what your allowance with them is.

They would want to get rid of this restriction otherwise I like some others will just change to another network.

Edit... where would we see the info on any new data plans by tesco? any linky?

I'm have that 15gb for €25 deal from tesco mobile at the moment too... and it's great to hear that they hopefully will be announcing mobile data packages shortly...

But a heads up to any future tesco mobile customers... tesco is on O2 so it has great coverage, but tesco limit speeds to 2mb download and there is no way around this no matter what your allowance with them is.

They would want to get rid of this restriction otherwise I like some others will just change to another network.

Edit... where would we see the info on any new data plans by tesco? any linky?

One of the mods on their forum let it slip that they would be announcing a 5Gb add-on in the next week or so. I'd imagine it will be priced around the tenner mark like the text add-on. I do not find the speed restriction any difficulty as its not an issue with normal browsing/streaming. Plus I understand from the TM mods that the speed limits are likely to be either increased or abandoned entirely in the near future.

I would be very slow to give up that 15Gb of free data with a €25 top-up if I were you. If you move your number, or even opt-in to the new Tesco Mobile offers then that 15Gb is permanently gone.

• Advertisement

By far the best deal (gone since August 28th for new customers) was the Tesco Mobile deal that gave you 15Gb free, including tethering, if you topped-up by €25+ in one top-up.

That's a different beast though as it's connected to your phone whereas I was looking for makeshift BB solution that would be available in my livingroom 24/7

? 15Gb is a lot of data just for browsing i.e. 500Mb a day on average. Its when you stream from youtube (circa 300Mb/hour at normal settings) download films (circa 1Gb on average from iTunes) or watch BBC iplayer or the RTE player (circa 400Mb/hour) that you run into big data usage.

Multiply youtube use by the number of kids and other family members you have and you'll soon see a difference. After analysing my friends usage, I concluded that this is normal internet use. The ironic thing is that the total usage in listed in the bill was just under the 20Gb allowance but the face that they weren't aware that it wouldn't kick in until the new billing period meant they were charged.

It's bad form to hand over a new sim and broadband dongle and not say - btw you can't use this for two weeks when your package comes into effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

What are the terms of this contract? Like is it direct debit or...?
    Sorry can't seem to load the website from my phone.

What are the terms of this contract? Like is it direct debit or...?
    Sorry can't seem to load the website from my phone.

It is a 30 day contract , I am using a Visa Credit card to pay via Direct Debit , They did a 1 euro charge to my card and refunded straight away , They used my Driving License and the 1 euro transaction to confirm identity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

That's a different beast though as it's connected to your phone whereas I was looking for makeshift BB solution that would be available in my livingroom 24/7

Its not connected to your phone. I have the Sim in a dongle and it gives me 17.5 Gb per top up because, putting it in a dongle means I'm not using any voice or texts, so all my phone credit is used up in the extra 2.4GB of data.

The dongle is a Huawei 355 I think, so that provides wifi in my living room for up to 5 devices, it sits on a USB plug.

The down side is the DL speed. which is at best under 3Mb(I know they say a cap of 2Mb, but speedtest often shows me as having 2,5-2.9), although it also shows half a Mb at times too. The Ping also varies, anything from 60ms. (which is grand) But it can vary wieldly up to 200ms-1000ms sometimes.

Its not connected to your phone. I have the Sim in a dongle and it gives me 17.5 Gb per top up because, putting it in a dongle means I'm not using any voice or texts, so all my phone credit is used up in the extra 2.4GB of data.

The dongle is a Huawei 355 I think, so that provides wifi in my living room for up to 5 devices, it sits on a USB plug.

The down side is the DL speed. which is at best under 3Mb(I know they say a cap of 2Mb, but speedtest often shows me as having 2,5-2.9), although it also shows half a Mb at times too. The Ping also varies, anything from 60ms. (which is grand) But it can vary wieldly up to 200ms-1000ms sometimes.

How is 17.5 gb for 25 euro better than 20 gb for 10 euro or am i missing something ?

• Advertisement

How is 17.5 gb for 25 euro better than 20 gb for 10 euro or am i missing something ?

I didn't say it was, just clarifying that you didn't need to use it in a phone.

15Gb of that is free. But what he is doing is using the entire top-up double credit also for data i.e. €25 top-up is actually €50 of credit which at 2c/Mb is 2.5Gb giving a total of 17.5Gb. Although he could actually get that closer to 20Gb by buying 3x1Gb data add-ons at €6.99/each.

With regard as to how is a better offer from my perspective its the fact that I have a large amount of data that I can tether with plus a phone all in one - no contract etc. In fact I am on triple credit because I switched over a number when that promotion is on so for a €25 top-up I get 15Gb of data plus 5000 texts on top of €75 of credit to use as I choose. And in fact I have on occasion topped up by €25 and at the end of the 30 days found that I still had the full €25 left! Beat that anyone??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

Nice. Recently out of contract on my 3 broadband, so unlocked my modem last night, will pick this up and cancel with 3. Thanks OP.

Btw, guy in store (Athlone, Golden Island) said this offer will be available until at least the end of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭nitros7

Cheers OP
    Signed up to this last year and the offer just ran out.
    Rang up to cancel and got it for another 12 months!
    Sweet... Better value than O2's current Student offer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Popple3 wrote: »
    Nice. Recently out of contract on my 3 broadband, so unlocked my modem last night, will pick this up and cancel with 3. Thanks OP.

Btw, guy in store (Athlone, Golden Island) said this offer will be available until at least the end of the month.

What kind of speeds are you getting in athlone?

• Advertisement

paddyp wrote: »

I get 3 to 5 meg mostly and 2 to 3 peak hours , 4.2 Miles from Mast in Ganlys out the roscommon road , Also running voip from Blueface and perfect 99% of the time

nitros7 wrote: »
    Better value than O2's current Student offer :)

I wouldn't mind that Huawei dongle for €25 though. My 3 year old Desire isn't the most reliable wifi hotspot

paddyp wrote: »

Just picked up my SIM. Here's my speed test (in town near KFC):

585969532.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Just picked up my SIM. Here's my speed test (in town near KFC):

585969532.png

Is the sim a normal size, would it fit into the 3 mifi dongle?Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lost_at_sea

Can someone help me as I am not technical enough to set this up.

I understand we go into Meteor & buy the nano Sim. I am unsure what we put that nano sim into (we don't want to use our phones) What other pieces of equipment do we need to set up wifi in our home under this plan?

We currently have a ZyXEL NBG-417N Wireless N Router, so Can we reuse that in some way??

meathman0 wrote: »
    Is the sim a normal size, would it fit into the 3 mifi dongle?Thanks

Normal size. Have in my 3 mifi right now no bother. Had to unlock it first though. Used https://www.dc-unlocker.com and it worked a charm. If you just ask for a normal sized SIM they'll make sure to give you one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭loopymum

I picked up a refurbished dongle from meteor last year for a tenner and I had an old white vodafone router that you can stick the dongle into to broadcast it as the wireless network.
    I had to unlock the router and the stick, was easy enough, funnily enough I have the router about 6 years now and a friend signed with vodafone recently and got sent out the same router.
    It's Hauwei

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Normal size. Have in my 3 mifi right now no bother. Had to unlock it first though. Used https://www.dc-unlocker.com and it worked a charm. If you just ask for a normal sized SIM they'll make sure to give you one anyway.

Cheers, thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭fran426ft

Since my girlfriends O2 student deal runs out next month I think we might consider this. Need to check what the Meteor coverage is like in our area first.

I'm getting 10Mb+ download on O2 when they are not choking it back for us going over our monthly limit :o . The nice thing about the O2 student deal though is that we are only getting charged 50c per GB once we go over the limit so there is little chance of being stung with a crazy bill.:D

Can someone help me as I am not technical enough to set this up.

I understand we go into Meteor & buy the nano Sim. I am unsure what we put that nano sim into (we don't want to use our phones) What other pieces of equipment do we need to set up wifi in our home under this plan?

We currently have a ZyXEL NBG-417N Wireless N Router, so Can we reuse that in some way??

I had a quick look at your router on line there, and it looks like a broad band router used for a fixed line installation. So, no, it wont work.
    What you need to purchase is a MiFi type device, which can be got from Meteor, you also need a SIM, but you'll probably be better off buying a standad sim if you're using it in a MiFi.

What you need would be one of the two devices on the attached link with MIFI in their name:

• Advertisement
Advertisement