Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cleaning equipment after bottling

Options
  • 11-09-2013 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

hi ive got a questing about cleaning my fermentation tank(bucket) after bottling how is the best way to clean it as i don't want to scrape/scratch it and allow a bacteria to be able to infect my next beer. i used warm water and rubbed with my hand but is there a better way ?

im planning on kicking off a new batch later today as well a totally different type of beer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Are you using any form of santiser? If so, stick it in a spray bottle, spray and let it sit for a while (i normally leave it for half hour, even though 5 minutes would do!). Rinse out (again, not specifically a requirement), and leave to dry. I do this twice to all my gear. Once after Ive filled my bottles to clean off everything, then a second time before i commence another batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

yea im using the vinegar and bleach water, i mixed 20 L of that and used that to clean it with, just am i right to use my hand and not a scrubber ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I don't see the point of sanitising after use. I just clean with warm water and my hand, or a sponge if something's being a bit stubborn.

like the yellow/green sponges?
    and just sanitize before my new batch.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

BeerNut wrote: »
    I don't see the point of sanitising after use. I just clean with warm water and my hand, or a sponge if something's being a bit stubborn.

Funnily enough, I thought the same thing. I made a batch of apple vodka, and gave it a good wash down afterwards. Opened it back up a few weeks later and there was mould everywhere (I must have a missed a spot). I just feel a little bit more at ease knowing its properly scrubbed. Maybe its just my OCD :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

like the yellow/green sponges?
    Yes, but strictly only the yellow side.

thats what i was thinking but wanted to make sure before think ill tear the green off a new one and use it for mt brewing

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Hot water and Lidl Oxi cleaner. Leave it to steep. Will take off all the crud and it'll only need a light rub and a rinse afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭TheBrewMeister

antodeco wrote: »
    Funnily enough, I thought the same thing. I made a batch of apple vodka, and gave it a good wash down afterwards. Opened it back up a few weeks later and there was mould everywhere (I must have a missed a spot). I just feel a little bit more at ease knowing its properly scrubbed. Maybe its just my OCD :D

Did you seal the bucket and put it away? If so, that's why you got mould. Always leave the lid off and store upside down. Leaving the lid on will trap water and cause mould.

Advertisement