Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone-US Purchase

Options
  • 11-09-2013 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,

Apologies for what is probably a technophob question but I am moving to the US soon for at least 6 months. I have been holding off on getting an iphone until I'm over as I want to buy an unlocked one and obviously will make a big saving on the dollar

I'm just wondering are there any drawbacks to not buying it here instead? as far as I can see I will save a lot of money and if I'm correct if I buy the GSM compatible it will work when I come home to Ireland?

Thanks a mill in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭new_maniac

Hi All,

Apologies for what is probably a technophob question but I am moving to the US soon for at least 6 months. I have been holding off on getting an iphone until I'm over as I want to buy an unlocked one and obviously will make a big saving on the dollar

I'm just wondering are there any drawbacks to not buying it here instead? as far as I can see I will save a lot of money and if I'm correct if I buy the GSM compatible it will work when I come home to Ireland?

Thanks a mill in advance

Yeah, that'll work fine, the only thing you'll have to change is the wall plug adapter when you come back, but that's no biggy, and there is definitely a saving buying it over there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hi All,

Thanks a mill in advance

They don't repair US iPhones under warranty in Europe due to the use of different chips, according to previous posts here. You would have to pay for transport back and forth to the US if you needed repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭new_maniac

whiterebel wrote: »
    They don't repair US iPhones under warranty in Europe due to the use of different chips, according to previous posts here. You would have to pay for transport back and forth to the US if you needed repair.

Just hope that you never drop it on the cold, hard, ground lol. I didn't actually realize that they made a difference in the phones internals though, that's quite interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Hi All,

Thanks a mill in advance

I bought one in Vegas back in March. It works perfectly on the normal GSM networks and on 3G.

I don't think it'll work on 4G networks over here due to a difference in frequencies but if you're happy with GSM and 3G then it'll work. If 4G is a killer for you, maybe you should factor in how long it'll take to become widespread here and when you're likely to upgrade your phone.

Advertisement