Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entering a New race

Options
  • 11-09-2013 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi
    Anyone feel like sharing how important some issues are in your decision to enter a new race?

Rate these issues in order Of importance to you when choosing a race to enter in Ireland.

Entry Price
    Organizer ( club, charity, commercial)
    Goody bag
    Closed roads
    Triathlon Ireland affiliated
    Sea, lake, river or pool swim
    Course profile
    Location (ie closeness to where to live)
    Location (ie scenic beauty or interesting area)
    Other considerations

Are you more interested in entering a race where you know the top triathletes will compete?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

My thoughts
    Hi
    Anyone feel like sharing how important some issues are in your decision to enter a new race?

Rate these issues in order Of importance to you when choosing a race to enter in Ireland.

Entry Price - care very much

Organizer ( club, charity, commercial) - Not hugely bothered but would of course prefer to be giving my entry fee to charity or a club first not lining a commercial entities pockets but if the race was well organised and good value I would not be overly concerned where the money goes. Many charity events are an excuse for a commercial entity to brand themselves in a good light, get volunteers on the cheap, skimp on goody bags and prizes and give damn all to the charity

Goody bag - Couldnt give a hoot - even with Kilkees famed goody bag I have yet to get either a size that fits me or they were all given out already

Closed roads - A help but not vital - but would be of benefit absolutely

Triathlon Ireland affiliated - Dont care

Sea, lake, river or pool swim - Lake would be my favorite as best chance of favourable and consistent conditions. I have no interest in pool swims

Course profile - Not hugely bothered

Location (ie closeness to where to live) - Yes would be a factor

Location (ie scenic beauty or interesting area) - No harm in some nice scenery

Other considerations I don't like wave starts

Are you more interested in entering a race where you know the top triathletes will compete? Not hugely bothered, I only see them at the start of the race anyways

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Hi

Entry Price
    Care very much
    Really 90% are commercial though some pretend to be club
    Goody bag
    A little like to get the odd memento
    would be great if there was a badge in the goodie bag that said "I'm a triathlete". Just so everyone could tell you are a triathlete afterwards.
    Closed roads
    Would be a big draw
    Don't care if it is TI affiliated, being IT affiliated would be a big no no
    prefer sea/lake
    Course profile
    as long as its safe
    If its not on the east coast or midlands for me its a destination event and needs to be epic
    Lets get this clear, the only people who thing that the West of Ireland is the most beautiful place in the world and would be a huge draw for an event are the people from the west of ireland.
    Other considerations
    Ratio of motorbike drafting marshals to athletes.
    Number of athletes in race - too many for a course and its just sh1t
    Multi distance events on the same day - silly, means transition closes at 10am and some aren't racing until 5pm. not a chance of doing one of these ones

Are you more interested in entering a race where you know the top triathletes will compete?
    I know some would love a Clydesdale division

Thanks

The real question is - is there a niche? Is the market saturated? Is triathlons star waning?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Hi

Entry Price
    Goody bag
    Closed roads
    Course profile
    Other considerations

Thanks

Mod: Is this market research?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

mloc123 wrote: »
    Mod: Is this market research?

Kinda but not in the commercial sense.

I'm thinking of running a local tri and I'm trying to figure out which of the many issues are most important to regular racers. Not to try to attract them to enter but so that I run a good event.

tunney wrote: »
    The real question is - is there a niche? Is the market saturated? Is triathlons star waning?

If I was thinking of a big name branded event that attracted a national field then I would agree that those question are very pertinent.

HOTW
    BOTE
    Lost sheep
    Tri an MHi
    Ck
    DCt
    Swinford
    Shadowman
    Etc

More than enough good races around the country.

But for a small local race, the more relevant questions imo are about how many races are currently run in the area or Within striking distance and when in the year and why I might want to run a race that at best would break even.

The reason I asked the question was to decide if some of the normal stuff done at races was very important to people like branded t shirts and expensive goody bags or would most people just be happy to have a well run race. Because a small local field of say 200 can't support both unless the entry price is very high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Hi

Entry Price - Ya lower price and no goodie bag when you have so many tech t shirts
    Organizer ( club, charity, commercial) - yes, i avoid the dark side and charity yes
    Goody bag - na, only so many tech t shirts i can give away.
    Closed roads - always a plus
    Triathlon Ireland affiliated - see above
    Sea, lake, river or pool swim - I like lake swims
    Course profile - An interested bike course, nothing worse than a boring out and bike course.
    Location (ie closeness to where to live) - I'd travel for a good middle distance as in Lost Sheep or Humbert
    Location (ie scenic beauty or interesting area) - no interest
    Other considerations - If a race has perviously had good feedback and is well run i'm more likely to go

Are you more interested in entering a race where you know the top triathletes will compete - couldn't give a fiddlers fcuk if i'm honest

Thanks

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Entry Price
    I will enter cheap races on a whim, but have goal races where price is not a major consideration.

Club races are generally better run as those involved actually care. I don't do much charity stuff as this is my hobby not a fundraiser, and there are certain commercial races I avoid.

Goody bag
    Not a reason to chose a race (except hotw :) )

Closed roads
    I don't expect it except in major races.

Most that I do happen to be anyway.
    Lake or river

Course profile
    I like hills

Not a consideration.

Nice but not essential. Most irish races are in pretty areas anyway.

Other considerations
    Good road surface
    Adequate security
    Properly staffed/marshaled
    Accurate distance
    Chip timing, prompt results
    Good pre race communication

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Entry Price - Important. Anything more than €45 for a sprint is taking the p1ss.
    Organizer ( club, charity, commercial) - Not really relavent except that I avoid certain organisers races
    Goody bag - dont care, although newbies like a medal. A t-shirt is always nice.
    Closed roads - Nice to have but not essential
    Triathlon Ireland affated - Dont care
    Sea, lake, river or pool swim - Prefer lake or sea, except if very early or late in the year when sea swims can be weather affected. Dont like river swims, you can usually float down the course like a turd in these evetns and I prefer to make it round the swim course under my own steam
    Course profile - Is an issue but only if I want to try and hit a target time for a run or bike.
    Location (ie closeness to where to live) - Biggest issue for me
    Location (ie scenic beauty or interesting area) - Dont care
    Other considerations - Accurately measured course, safe roads, roomy transition, soup or a cake at the finish.

Are you more interested in entering a race where you know the top triathletes will compete? - No, if I want to get spanked by the top guys I'll do an NS race. Non NS races give a mid packer like me a chance of finishing well
    The reason I asked the question was to decide if some of the normal stuff done at races was very important to people like branded t shirts and expensive goody bags or would most people just be happy to have a well run race. Because a small local field of say 200 can't support both unless the entry price is very high.

If you get a field of 200 then you'll have plenty of money to run an event with a decent goody bag and make a few quid if that's what you want. I've been involved in events where 100 competitors at €35 has been enough for chip timing, t-shirt and food at the end.

griffin100 wrote: »
    dont care, although newbies like a medal.
    I like medals. :o Irish races rarely give them though.

Oryx wrote: »

Most races do? You just have to podium :)

• Advertisement

Most races do? You just have to podium :)
    Yeah. Working on that part....

I'm not a big of of medals although my kids love when I bring one home from a race. I hate the really cheap medals some races give, I'd rather not get one.

That said there a a couple of medals that I don't let the kids play with, my first IM finishers medal and my Warrior Of The Sea medal from this year (which is a seashell type thingy). I do like those ones :)

griffin100 wrote: »
    Entry Price - Important. Anything more than €45 for a sprint is taking the p1ss.
    Organizer ( club, charity, commercial) - Not really relavent except that I avoid certain organisers races
    Goody bag - dont care, although newbies like a medal. A t-shirt is always nice.
    Closed roads - Nice to have but not essential
    Triathlon Ireland affated - Dont care
    Sea, lake, river or pool swim - Prefer lake or sea, except if very early or late in the year when sea swims can be weather affected. Dont like river swims, you can usually float down the course like a turd in these evetns and I prefer to make it round the swim course under my own steam
    Course profile - Is an issue but only if I want to try and hit a target time for a run or bike.
    Location (ie closeness to where to live) - Biggest issue for me
    Location (ie scenic beauty or interesting area) - Dont care
    Other considerations - Accurately measured course, safe roads, roomy transition, soup or a cake at the finish.

Are you more interested in entering a race where you know the top triathletes will compete? - No, if I want to get spanked by the top guys I'll do an NS race. Non NS races give a mid packer like me a chance of finishing well

If you get a field of 200 then you'll have plenty of money to run an event with a decent goody bag and make a few quid if that's what you want. I've been involved in events where 100 competitors at €35 has been enough for chip timing, t-shirt and food at the end.

That's about the entry price I would have in mind as being decent value.

I also think you might be underestimating the cost somewhat.

That's about the entry price I would have in mind as being decent value.

I also think you might be underestimating the cost somewhat.

I've been on the organising committee for a couple of club races. We were breaking even more or less with 100 competitors at this price.

You will get chip timing for €7/8 per person; t-shirts, a beanie hat, etc can be had for similar; allow a €5 for food at the finish; leaves €15 per person for misc costs - ambulance, matting, numbers, etc. We managed to cut down on costs by having a pool swim so no big water safety costs and club members supplied the racking and other bits and pieces. The biggest challenge IMHO is getting enough marshals to help out on the day.

I'm sure the costs can vary hugely depending on the location and whos running the race.

Also ability to attract sponsorship will vary greatly.

I would be factoring in things like insurance, signage, barrier hire, Portaloos, kayaks, pa hire, small bit for event promotion, ambulance, ti fees, local authority charges and a decent food offering after.

I agree re Marshall's, for a non club non charity event there would need to be some inducement financial or otherwise.

I'm sure the costs can vary hugely depending on the location and whos running the race.

I would be factoring in things like insurance, signage, barrier hire, Portaloos, kayaks, pa hire, small bit for event promotion, ambulance, ti fees, local authority charges and a decent food offering after.

I agree re Marshall's, for a non club non charity event there would need to be some inducement financial or otherwise.
    My experience of paid marshalling is that it is generally pretty bad. You get people who have no idea whats going on, or what to do.

Yeah. Working on that part....

Some medals are nice, the IM branded ones are generally a decent quality. But what do you do with them? I always had plans to do *something* but as is they sit in an Ikea storage box.

Branded stuff I prefer, over tshirts and medals. I still use the gear bag from Antwerp 70.3 most weeks.

My experience of paid marshalling is that it is generally pretty bad. You get people who have no idea whats going on, or what to do.

Paid marshalling leads to accountability... and I doubt they want that for what is probably going to be a tenner an hour. It seems common practice to rope in a local club or scout den to marshal in exchange for a donation... It works out sometimes, other times it is a bunch of bored kids and teenagers that do not want to be standing at the side of a road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

What's your own background regarding event hosting/management/directing? Good luck to you with any enterprise, but there's an awful lot that can go wrong. I've done a couple of small/local tri's and they aren't a patch on anything run by a club. Alligning yourself to a local club could be a good start.

Anyway, my tuppence worth:

Entry Price €40 Sprint, €50 Oly
    Organizer ( club, charity, commercial) Avoid charity events in general, unless a Tri club is organizing.
    Goody bag Happy if its got lots of nice things, in the same way I'd be happy if I found a fiver on the side of the road; ie not to be expected, and besides a sports drink I'd not hugely care for it.
    Closed roads Massive bonus, but practically often not feasible. Sufficient marshalling is more important.
    Triathlon Ireland affiliated In general I've been happy with TI races.
    Sea, lake, river or pool swim Sea or lake. If you're going to encourage have-a-go hero's, then offer a duathlon option for those scared of waves on the day.
    Course profile Good roads, good roads, good roads.
    Location (ie closeness to where to live) Closer the better. No-one is going to say they prefer to race a 5+ hour drive away!
    Location (ie scenic beauty or interesting area) A bonus, but not a must have.
    Other considerations Things you haven't mentioned: lots of marshalls, clear directions given in briefing, numbered racking in trans (with plenty of racking space), nuetralized trans, penalties for drafting followed through on, 5k course markers on bike, km markers on run course, timely results, decent prize money for the winners (of the race, not rewarding both M55's who entered;)), refusal to let those who can't swim enter the water (and have a duathlon option for them rather than curtail the swim for everyone else), grub at the end... and if I can be selfish here, from next year on I'm going to have to look at races that also incorporate a kids race before/during the main event, much easier to spend weekends on your hobby if the kids get a run/swim/bike out too:)
    Are you more interested in entering a race where you know the top triathletes will compete? Only in that I'd take it as a seal of approval for the race, that they are turning up. Nice to drool over their bikes though!

Paid marshalling leads to accountability... and I doubt they want that for what is probably going to be a tenner an hour. It seems common practice to rope in a local club or scout den to marshal in exchange for a donation... It works out sometimes, other times it is a bunch of bored kids and teenagers that do not want to be standing at the side of a road.

Good point

• Advertisement
Advertisement