Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heading to Belfast store for a new iPhone

• 11-09-2013 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭

I'm rocking a well used 4 and it's struggling a bit with iOS 6 so I promised myself I'd buy me a SIM free 5s online. I'm so annoyed that no date has been announced for Ireland.

From last years thread it seems that you'd be pretty much guaranteed to pick one up if you arrive bright and early and are prepared to queue for a few hours, so I might take the day off work and pay a visit. Anyone else making the trip?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Can you not order for delivery online and use Parcel motel?

Really don't understand why people would be in such a rush that they can't wait for Irish launch.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

murpho999 wrote: »

Really don't understand why people would be in such a rush that they can't wait for Irish launch.

Yeah you will have no problem going up and getting one in Belfast arrive at 8am and queue till 9 and you will get one. They keep you queing just from a spectacle point of view there is plenty of stock always. See you there as I will be heading up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

No 5S pre orders either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

They haven't even announced a launch date yet - and then you don't know how long you'll have to wait for stock. I got screwed last year by Three as they kept all their stock for new customers. Not this year. It'll be nice to have a brand new unlocked phone on a SIM free contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Yeah ill be heading up too. I headed up there for the 4 and that year you could reserve one for store pickup ahead of the launch.

Got there at around 7:30 and was out by around 12:00

For the 4 Apple removed the ability to reserve ahead of time. Got there around 6:30 and was out by around 10:00

Order the 5 from apple.ie the second it was available and it arrived in November.

This year there is no date for Ireland and no preorder for the 5 I'm thinking I might leave home around midnight or 1am and arrive to the store by 2:30 to 4am

Still undecided as to what time to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Good luck queuing. If you want to be anywhere near the front or the line I'd suggest getting there the night before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

It's probably the 20th September, and Irish launch will be a week after I would think.

etxp wrote: »
    It's probably the 20th September, and Irish launch will be a week after I would think.

They didn't announce that yesterday unlike other launches when they announced 2nd wave countries.

Think it's being delayed by China being added to initial launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭martin_g

Is it me or does there not seem to be such a great response towards the new handsets? I was disappointed they didn't go for larger memory i.e. 128GB iPhone 5S, also IPhone 5C seems very expensive for the likes of selling in China, only time will tell.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

martin_g wrote: »
    Is it me or does there not seem to be such a great response towards the new handsets? I was disappointed they didn't go for larger memory i.e. 128GB iPhone 5S, also IPhone 5C seems very expensive for the likes of selling in China, only time will tell.

Can you imagine the price of a 128GB 5S?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭martin_g

whiterebel wrote: »
    Can you imagine the price of a 128GB 5S?

I would hate to see the price of that probably close to €1000 or more sim free

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I went to Belfast for the 5.
    Left North Dublin around 2am. Got there approx 3.40am.

I was a good bit down in the que but i was in the shop one hour after it opened and was out within 15 mins.

You could head up later, they should have enough stock, but it means you may be queing till 12 or 1 in the afternoon.

Once you get high enough in the que, they hand out tickets with whatever you want on it ie. white 16gb/black 32gb etc

Am i doing it this year.....no, i usually upgrade every 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Was hoping you could pre order hate queuing
    Would even pay extra to reserve rather than queue

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Was hoping you could pre order hate queuing
    Would even pay extra to reserve rather than queue

If you could pre-order, then everybody would pre-order, then when you get there, everybody that pre-ordered would be queing to get served.

so best bet is to cut the pre-order crap and sell to first come first served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

I gotta be honest though I am struggling to understand the need to travel to Belfast to q for a this. Ireland will have it a week or two later. Can you really not wait that long?

I gotta be honest though I am struggling to understand the need to travel to Belfast to q for a this. Ireland will have it a week or two later. Can you really not wait that long?

You don't know that. No dates have been announced for Ireland unlike last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

stimpson wrote: »
    You don't know that. No dates have been announced for Ireland unlike last year.

Admittedly it is assumption but come on they are not going to leave it that long after the UK launch. Ireland has always been a week behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Admittedly it is assumption but come on they are not going to leave it that long after the UK launch. Ireland has always been a week behind.

That's what I would expect too.

So why not announce wave 2 countries like they used to do? My guess is they want to gauge Chinese demand before committing to any other country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Parcel Motel idea sounds good if you want to order from the UK. I presume there would be no issue with that? or will it not deliver because of the billing address?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

It would take a min of 4 weeks ordering online when it becomes available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

mad muffin wrote: »
    It would take a min of 4 weeks ordering online when it becomes available.

Online my only option though. No way i'm driving from Limerick to Belfast for a phone.

Even if I wait for it to be on the apple.ie site I will most likely have a 3-4 week wait.

Just checked apple.co.uk and it says you can buy an iPhone from another country for someone living in the country of sale.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Parcel Motel idea sounds good if you want to order from the UK. I presume there would be no issue with that? or will it not deliver because of the billing address?

Parcel motel only insure you up to €100. Big risk for a €700 phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Ordered my 5 last year from Apple.co.uk and shipped it to Parcelmotel...

Although it did vanish for a day...it turned up in one piece

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Jofspring wrote: »
    Online my only option though. No way i'm driving from Limerick to Belfast for a phone.

Even if I wait for it to be on the apple.ie site I will most likely have a 3-4 week wait.

Just checked apple.co.uk and it says you can buy an iPhone from another country for someone living in the country of sale.
    You have to use a uk credit card to buy on the uk store

stimpson wrote: »
    Parcel motel only insure you up to €100. Big risk for a €700 phone.

What is the risk?

What insurance do you have with Fedex or An Post?

Really would not expect anything to go wrong.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

What is the risk?

What insurance do you have with Fedex or An Post?

Really would not expect anything to go wrong.

Problem is if Parcel Motel damage or lose it, you get €100 for a €700 phone.....
    Normally the sender insures it, but with Parcel Motel, the original couriers liability has ended with a clean signature to Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

guil wrote: »
    You have to use a uk credit card to buy on the uk store

Not true.
    Can I place an order using a non-UK credit card?

Apple accept most credit/debit cards from within the UK and outside of the UK.

It would appear that the 5S is going to cost €699 from the Irish store but it's €653 if you buy in Belfast or order from the UK Apple store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭NetNinja

But will they let you pay in Euros in Belfast & Apple UK Store?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

NetNinja wrote: »
    But will they let you pay in Euros in Belfast & Apple UK Store?
    You can just use your Visa Debit card, no?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement