Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightfest

Options
  • 11-09-2013 2:54pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone going to this one on Sunday?
    www.flightfest.ie

More importantly does anyone with access to an office down that way want to let me in for a good view!! :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭CatLou

I'm going to watch from my balcony :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

THat's grand, what time will I meet you at?

Gaspode wrote: »
    THat's grand, what time will I meet you at?

All is good if you bring the beers :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

CatLou wrote: »
    All is good if you bring the beers :D

I'll bring the chips, butter and batch bread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

I'll bring the banter :D

Seriously, though, where will the best vantage points be? Half considering not bothering with this, due to crowds

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Well the planes are likely to be at least a hundred feet up, probably more when they pass so regardless of crowds everyone will see them, or at least see their underbelly! A view from a height might be a little better though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Anywhere to the South be good for this? I reckon the likes of Ticknock and any further wouldn't really be worthwhile?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

any one know the time A380 flys? I don't have time to be there for 4 hours but would like to see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

The rooftop bar in the Marker hotel could be a good spot, I haven't been in it yet so might drop in to have a look.

The Vulcan bomber has pulled out which is a pity.

Edit: Oops, looks like the rooftop is only for the VIP'S, that's me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The A380 is scheduled to be the final aircraft to fly past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

Well the planes are likely to be at least a hundred feet up, probably more when they pass so regardless of crowds everyone will see them

I think the presentation on the Flightfest site said the flying altitude is 800 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

To be honest I'm torn between the North and South Bull Walls. I'd say the South Wall would be a decent spot but it's a bit of a bitch to get to

They could just let everyone in the abandoned Anglo Bank building :P

The Flightfest site published a pdf on the viewing areas but it doesn't say much:
    http://www.flightfest.ie/images/uploads/FlightFest_Map.pdf

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Well the planes are likely to be at least a hundred feet up, probably more when they pass so regardless of crowds everyone will see them, or at least see their underbelly! A view from a height might be a little better though.

We wish!
    Polar101 wrote: »
    I think the presentation on the Flightfest site said the flying altitude is 800 feet.

Official flight plan is 1700 feet on approach from Dublin bay, they drop to 1200 feet for the length of the Liffey from the O2 to liberty hall, then climb back to 1700 feet and do a turn around and do another pass IIRC.

1200 feet? :(

I think I've been watching too much Top Gun!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

just so people are aware and know to keep an eye on this if planning to attend:

There is plenty of discussion on the Aviation&Aircraft Forum and also now the Weather forum on Flight Fest.

Currently the weather looks bad for Sunday and it is possible that the event will be cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Mr.S wrote: »
    From this morning

fingers crossed so

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

www.flightfest.ie

Just found out about this last night, sounds like a bit of craic, they've some classic planes doing a flypast over the Liffey. Like the B17 Flying fortress, Catalina Flying Boat and other WWII era planes as well as newer ones. Starts at midday with the flypasts starting at 2pm and occuring every 5 minutes thereafter on a flightroute that takes them above the liffey starting at the East Point Toll bridge and ending at the customs house where they'll fly back towards dublin airport.

Noisy Fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Threads merged

• Advertisement

Would love to go myself, have to go out to the airport though. Hopefully see some of the planes that aren't coming directly from the UK out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Rain is absolutely biblical in town.

Disaster

Weather isn't looking good. High winds, poor visibility and low cloud cover and heavy rain.

Edit: Flightfest page says going ahead as normal

Just went outside to pick up some plant pots the wind blew over and got soaked to the skin in a few seconds! Dont think i like planes enough after all to stand out in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Just went outside to pick up some plant pots the wind blew over and got soaked to the skin in a few seconds! Dont think i like planes enough after all to stand out in that!

Did the exact same thing.

Would NOT fancy piloting a plane today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Well slap my tits! I'm just about to head off to this.....will I, wont I, will I, wont I!?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Sun is shining in city centre at the moment
    Still windy though

Well slap my tits! I'm just about to head off to this.....will I, wont I, will I, wont I!?

Weathers cleared up, go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Go for it the a380 alone is worth seeing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

It's pissing in Cabinteely!

Fcuk it....toast and tea then il head in!

Advertisement