Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightfest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ive never been able to figure out why we run big events like this on a sunday, when dublins public transport doesn't do sunday. Do they want everyone and his dog to take their car into the city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Bambi wrote: »
    Ive never been able to figure out why we run big events like this on a sunday, when dublins public transport doesn't do sunday. Do they want everyone and his dog to take their car into the city centre?

You're right. Let's run them on a Tuesday.

You're right. Let's run them on a Tuesday.
    Would suit me my office is right on the flight path :)

the actual solution is the have people with brains running our transport system. Dublin bus are in dire straits yet they're leavong dozens of paying punters at bus stops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Would suit me my office is right on the flight path :)

the actual solution is the have people with brains running our transport system. Dublin bus are in dire straits yet they're leavong dozens of paying punters at bus stops

We'll keep transport to another thread thanks. Lots in the Commuting and Transport forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

They had a stream going originally, anyone got the link? Their site's slow so maybe it was pulled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

sdeire wrote: »
    They had a stream going originally, anyone got the link? Their site's slow so maybe it was pulled?

Subscription only now :( Feckers.

http://www.aertv.ie/#the-gathering-live

Nate

Subscription only now :( Feckers.

http://www.aertv.ie/#the-gathering-live

Nate

Wow - they lauded the fact it would be streamed on the promo videos with no mention of a fee. Piss poor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yet another triumph of planning for an event in Ireland.
    Goldmine of a PR opportunity for aertv - just needed a small outlay to make sure heavy demand could be catered for.
    Nah, let's not bother. Sure it will be grand.

spurious wrote: »
    Yet another triumph of planning for an event in Ireland.
    Goldmine of a PR opportunity for aertv - just needed a small outlay to make sure heavy demand could be catered for.
    Nah, let's not bother. Sure it will be grand.

I'll be telling them as much in a strongly-worded e-mail which of course, will never be responded to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Decent view here from dun laoghaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Flying over my house in D.8.

Keep running to door when I hear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

http://siptu.ie/media/webcam/

link above from top of liberty hall... not very good but worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Any pics?

Some wind out there!

Any pics?

Some wind out there!

If you go to the aviation and aircraft forum, there's a flightfest photo thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

I was there today and a lot of people looked disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I was there and had fun, the B17 and the Irish air corps were great!

Made a little video montage of some of the high points, though i didnt get the B17 - was too busy looking at it to remember to take a picture :)

and quite like this picture too :)
    rmyd.jpg

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    We'll keep transport to another thread thanks. Lots in the Commuting and Transport forum :)

There lots of airplane threads in the aviation forum too. I'm talking about dublin bus in the dublin city forum. I'll keep it here, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There lots of airplane threads in the aviation forum too. I'm talking about dublin bus in the dublin city forum. I'll keep it here, thanks.

Do not argue with a mod decision on thread. If you have a problem with it, PM the mod. This is your last warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

I'm talking about dublin bus in the dublin city forum
    in a thread about flying!!

epic-jackie-chan-template.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Birneybau wrote: »
    Flying over my house in D.8.

Keep running to door when I hear one.

same,got some good views too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

LUAS was a disaster,3 trams with no room passed us by before we just decided to drive in.Waste of 4 return tickets.

Was cool seeing the old war planes once we were there though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Garzard wrote: »
    I was there today and a lot of people looked disappointed.

I thought the pace was a bit slow and would have liked some of the smaller planes to have come in a bit lower. Would also have liked less commercial airlines and more jets but I suppose there is economics to think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I thought the pace was a bit slow and would have liked some of the smaller planes to have come in a bit lower. Would also have liked less commercial airlines and more jets but I suppose there is economics to think of.

I wouldn't say it had much to do with the planes themselves but rather due to the long intervals. It was definitley worthwhile going to but I saw that by around the time the Fortress flew over, many people, myself included just got tired of constant waiting and weren't being kept entertained between flyovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Michelin

This was a brilliant event. Strange even enjoying fly overs from commercial airlines you can see anytime at the airport. No complaints from me about time in between each plane. There was only a few minutes between each fly over which meant a constant flow of awe inspiring entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I invited friends around for lunch before I knew about the flightfest, so I assumed I would miss all of it.

Happily, the A380 flew right bang over my apartment so we had a good look at it.

In fact, I am pretty sure it did so twice. Is this possible or was I hallucinating one of the times?

I would have liked to see the fort, but I wasnt that lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I invited friends around for lunch before I knew about the flightfest, so I assumed I would miss all of it.

Happily, the A380 flew right bang over my apartment so we had a good look at it.

In fact, I am pretty sure it did so twice. Is this possible or was I hallucinating one of the times?

I would have liked to see the fort, but I wasnt that lucky.

It done 3 flybys afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Really enjoyed the day. I wasn't too bothered about going but it was much better than expected, wait time between planes wasn't long, the gardai seemed to be doing a good job on crowd control while getting plenty of abuse, weather ended up being great, lovely blue skies. Fair play to all involved in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

they were moaning on liveline, wouldn't you know

1. its free
    2. for safety reasons you can't be having airplanes doing manouvers one after the other in a built up city, imagine if something happened and one of them crashed....then you would have reason to complain

"oh we had to wait too long" :rolleyes: some people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

The hack of people moaning at a free event in aid of some very worthy charities, Choose not to go next time if you dont like waiting around. Bloody hell!

I had a great day at it, myself and the old man just went to see that flying fortress, but was really surprised at the Irish Air Corps and their seriously awesome display. While we don't have an enormous technologically advanced super airforce like other countries, we do have an airforce to be proud of.

Them and the last remaining airworthy B-17 in europe really stole the show for us.

Really great day, would be greater if our little island got these things organised a lot more often.

Advertisement