Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloud Server Question.

Options
  • 11-09-2013 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Have an idea for a project for college to build my own personal cloud server.

Was just wondering how hard or easy would it be to setup something like dropbox but on a smaller scale?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

The easiest way is a VPN (i.e. with Hamachi, which is pretty much zero config).

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭thelad84

Torqay wrote: »
    The easiest way is a VPN (i.e. with Hamachi, which is pretty much zero config).

I prob think that would be to easy. Would have to be a little harder. Would you know any sites that have info on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

thelad84 wrote: »
    Would have to be a little harder

You want it a little bit harder? All you need is Samba (and a DynDNS account or a static IP address).

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

or prob another option is get a nas that supports VPN and your away with it, a lot less power consumption than a PC or server.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Torqay wrote: »
    You want it a little bit harder? All you need is Samba (and a DynDNS account or a static IP address).
    or prob another option is get a nas that supports VPN and your away with it, a lot less power consumption than a PC or server.

Both of these could be configured in an afternoon for someone reasonably good with computers. If you do this for a college project you will get a big, fat fail. Assuming, of course, that this is final year project or something of similar importance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

if you really want to get into it try using a forum user DB to interface with the server via an LDAP windows logon details.(where your college logon details are heald) there are plenty of catches that will be able to prove that you can pass the challenges and will also allow for multi OS connectivity.

when you got it working you can then you can make an app for android (only* reason i dont say Iphone is costs to make apps) to allow limited connectivity

i miss read the original post i read colleague not college

* also not a hiuge apple fan :-D

Ye its a final year project. First part is a research project then we have to implement it.
    So I had the idea to build my own personal cloud server similar to dropbox.
    If anyone knows so websites to help with this would be great thanks.

I know myself I could build the server but I want to be able to log onto my own site and upload and download files if you know what I mean? If go onto drop box you login and you see your files you can delete files upload and download that's what I would like to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

You could set up an ownCloud instance with Openshift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

thelad84 wrote: »
    Ye its a final year project. First part is a research project then we have to implement it.

Is it a software development project?
    Do you have to code the server software?

A major aspect will be security, especially with the NSA spying on everyone.
    So a "trust no one" approach is the way to go, ie. you encrypt everything on the client side, and keep the encryption keys only on the client side.

So the server basically only ever stores encrypted blocks of data, without ever knowing, or having the ability to know what they are.
    If the user loses the encryption keys, they're fecked, nobody can help them. Each user should have their own unique keys.

Is it a software development project?
    Do you have to code the server software?

A major aspect will be security, especially with the NSA spying on everyone.
    So a "trust no one" approach is the way to go, ie. you encrypt everything on the client side, and keep the encryption keys only on the client side.

So the server basically only ever stores encrypted blocks of data, without ever knowing, or having the ability to know what they are.
    If the user loses the encryption keys, they're fecked, nobody can help them. Each user should have their own unique keys.

Project can be done on anything we feel like as long as its I.T related.

• Advertisement

Hi what if i could build a webpage that would link in with a server allowing me to upload files to the server from the webpage and to download and delete files from the server. Is that a possibility?

Advertisement