Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Preferred method of liquid foundation application

• 11-09-2013 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭

Hey everyone!

The title is pretty self explanatory. What is your favourite method to apply liquid foundation? And what type of finish do you like?

I like a natural finish. I use a very little amount of foundation, focus it on the most problematic areas, then spread it out. I generally use light coverage foundations and use concealer afterwards where needed. I feel like I get the most natural, actual-skin-like finish with hands. Sometimes I use flat top or buffing brushes, when I don't feel like getting my hands dirty. I rarely use sponges.

So, spill your secrets out :p

What is your favourite method for applying liquid foundation? 74 votes

Foundation brush
    0% 0 votes
    Flat top brush
    16% 12 votes
    Duo fibre brush
    12% 9 votes
    Hands
    18% 14 votes
    Sponge
    40% 30 votes
    Beauty blender
    6% 5 votes
    Other
    5% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

i always think this is an interesting topic.

I would love to be able to use a brush and i have one or two really good make up brushes but I am afraid they just do not suit my skin.

the only way that makeup can be applied to my skin is with my fingers. this is true even if a makeup artist does my make up(have tried three different make up artists)!

when it is applied with a brush or a sponge it turns out really blotchy, it is as if it is sitting on top of my skin like an oil slick rather than just blending in with my skin and the only way to do this is with my fingers!

i have never heard of this happening to anyone else so am interested to hear what other people do!

just to confirm i have tried various primers, moisturisers, powders etc nothing works other than applying with my fingers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Belle Morte

Flat top / kabuki style brushes for me - I love the way you can really buff in the foundation into your skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I use usually Double Wear, and I pour a little bit onto my hand below that bit that connects the thumb and index finger. Then I gently smush my hand into my face (:pac:) on the nose, cheeks, forehead and chin. I use a stippling brush to apply it properly. I found that putting the foundation directly onto the brush led to a lot of wasted product, so this way works for me!

I sometimes use Bobbi Brown's Skin Finish foundation, which is not nearly as thick as Double Wear, so I pour that onto a flat foundation brush and apply with that, then finish off with the stippling brush to avoid any streaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

i always think this is an interesting topic.

I would love to be able to use a brush and i have one or two really good make up brushes but I am afraid they just do not suit my skin.

the only way that makeup can be applied to my skin is with my fingers. this is true even if a makeup artist does my make up(have tried three different make up artists)!

when it is applied with a brush or a sponge it turns out really blotchy, it is as if it is sitting on top of my skin like an oil slick rather than just blending in with my skin and the only way to do this is with my fingers!

i have never heard of this happening to anyone else so am interested to hear what other people do!

just to confirm i have tried various primers, moisturisers, powders etc nothing works other than applying with my fingers!

I have the same problem to a certain extent. That's why I also like applying foundation with my hands. It just doesn't blend in with the texture of my face, if that makes sense.

I can sometimes use brushes with light coverage/textured foundations. And still, it doesn't end up looking as good. A make up artist once used a duo fibre brush with a medium coverage foundation and it just sit on top of my face. It just refused to blend it.

My skin went through a sensitive period and I absolutely couldn't use brushes during that time, as they were micro-exfoliating and sensitising my skin even more.

What is your skin type? Maybe, we can find the reason for it together :) Mine is quite normal. I used to have acne. Now I'm just acne prone. I don't have much problem with it as long as I read ingredients lists, etc. Its dryness or oiliness depends on the season or where I am really. (It naturally tends to get more oily when I'm back at home during summer and it's 40 degrees!)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Ditto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I switch between my MAC 187 Duo Fibre brush and a blender sponge. The brush is great for buffing on over my forehead and cheeks but I find it's streaky on my nose and under my eyes so I use the sponge to blend it in. The angles on the sponge are great for getting into awkward places like right under the eye or along the nose.

This is my sponge:
    489483022_099.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I use my hands. Over the years, people have tried to convince me that foundation brushes or stippling brushes are better, but at best I find them equal to my hands. The thing that puts me off brushes is that it takes much longer, and I can often see brush marks on my face. This could well be me doing it badly/incorrectly, but I don't care enough to learn the proper technique. I rarely use foundation because I find it usually goes quite blotchy, particularly around my pores, so it's just as easy to use my hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Depends entirely on the foundation. I used to use only my hands for about 4 years, then bought the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush a few months ago and have been using that pretty much exclusively since as it works wonders with my current foundation.

I find that if I leave a blob of foundation on top of my hand (instead of pumping as I go or putting the foundation onto a plastic surface as some beauty gurus do) to pick up with the brush, it works even better as the heat kind of melts it down to be more workable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Definitely a brush! I use either my MAC 187 stippling brush or my real techniques buffing brush (love it!). Haven't tried their expert face brush, has anyone used both? Would love to know if its worth getting as well!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I mainly use my 187 for foundation (YSL Touche Eclat), I find it gives a nice finish. It is a little big though for the nooks and crannies so I often use a concealer brush to smooth those bits out.

I also really like my Sephora airbrush foundation brush. It's great with BB cream and regular foundation. Much smaller than the 187 so it takes more time.

Sephora brush

032.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Fingers. It just works best for my skin and there's no product wastage.

Twee. wrote: »
    I mainly use my 187 for foundation (YSL Touche Eclat), I find it gives a nice finish. It is a little big though for the nooks and crannies so I often use a concealer brush to smooth those bits out.

I also really like my Sephora airbrush foundation brush. It's great with BB cream and regular foundation. Much smaller than the 187 so it takes more time.

Sephora brush

Exactly the same!

Originaly I used the 187 with Benefit Non fiction, but they discontinued that and so I started using benefit playstick (or bobby brown foundation stick when going out out) and applying it with a regular sephora foundation brush until my friend who is a make up artist told me I should still use the 187 with the stick foundation. Did that for a while and the finish was flawless but then I discovered the sephora brush you linked to above and started using that and it was perfect for the playstick but I had to stop using it (the foundation) as it was irritating my skin.

So, now I use the 187 with double wear, and the sephora airbrush for the bobby brown stick foundation when going out. Though once my current one runs out I'm just going to stick with double wear all the time, it's the best foundation I've ever used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

nice to know I am not the only person out there who has to use fingers!

I have what is probably considered combination skin, my forehead can be oily and the rest of my face can be just normal other than around my nose and my chin where it can be a bit dry sometimes (but only sometimes)

the blotchiness appears everywhere though when applied with a brush/sponge.

when i was getting my wedding makeup done i even had to ask the make up lady to please apply the makeup with her hands even though she had lots of really lovely brilliant quality brushes, the trial with the blushes and different make ups all turned out bad :-(

my wedding make up was perfect though! (using fingers!) :-)

Just make sure you always wash your hands before applying your make up so you're not transferring icky bateria onto your face.

Same goes for brushes mind you. Always keep everything clean!

Twee. wrote: »

Where did you get the Sephora brush? I like their own brand brushes. We got Sephora back at home but it is waaay overpriced (as all cosmetics are there).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I use the Real Techniques stippling brush and I love it. I used to use my hands but I changed to using Mac Studio and it really needs to be stippled on and buffed in. I use way less foundation now than I used to use when I was applying with my fingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I use a sigma F40 and then a beauty blender to blur out any brush strokes I might get

It does take longer but I hate having foundation all over my hands ...

I use the Real Techniques stippling brush and I love it. I used to use my hands but I changed to using Mac Studio and it really needs to be stippled on and buffed in. I use way less foundation now than I used to use when I was applying with my fingers.

Wow, this is really interesting. For me, it is the exact opposite. I use way less foundation when I use my hands!

I do love all RT brushes though. I use the stippling one for powder blush or highlighter. I use the expert face one for cream blush and blending in cream contour. Their buffing brush is the only one I can use for foundation without looking completely weird and blotchy. It still doesn't look as good as it is with my hands. But sometimes, I have those mornings when I don't want to touch the foundation. Is that weird? :p

Orlee wrote: »

THIS.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Wow, this is really interesting. For me, it is the exact opposite. I use way less foundation when I use my hands!
    I think the brush is much better at spreading out the foundation and covering my entire face with less foundation. I always had to use more to get good coverage using my fingers and there's never a huge amount of wastage in the brush. I think it definitely depends on the foundation and the technique used though. Some foundations work better with fingers and others work better with brushes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I use my fingers for bb cream, and my Mac stippling brush for foundation.

I'm going to get a Real Techniques expert brush in the next couple of weeks. Been watching tutorials and reviews of it and it looks great.

Just make sure you always wash your hands before applying your make up so you're not transferring icky bateria onto your face.

Same goes for brushes mind you. Always keep everything clean!

I'd wager that people wash their hands a helluva lot more often than they clean their brushes.
    Orlee wrote: »

Erm, just wash them immediately? I apply my foundation, wash my hands, then continue with the rest of my make-up.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I'd wager that people wash their hands a helluva lot more often than they clean their brushes.

Erm, just wash them immediately? I apply my foundation, wash my hands, then continue with the rest of my make-up.

Ooo, that brings another question to mind. How often do you clean your brushes?

I clean the ones I use with powders once a week. If I used a brush with a cream product, it gets washed after one use. I can be quite acne prone and this works the best for me.

In terms of using hands, it's not the case of hand-washing for me. I just don't like the feeling of it on my finger tips. It makes me go "bleurgh".

I'm really loving this thread because I first apply eye-make up, wash my hands if I used my hands with cream eye shadows, etc., apply base make-up and wash my hands again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I can guarantee you, your make up is much more riddled with icky bacteria than your hands! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My hands. Used the Mac 187 for a while but I feel like I need to wash it after every application so can't be arsed really. I don't really think my hand application looks any bit worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I use different brushes, I sometimes use my MAC 187, MAC 190, Ruby & MIllie Foundation brush or my Real Techniques Expert Face Brush.

Out of all the brushes I have the RT expert face brush is my favourite, my foundation looks flawless with it.

I rarely use my hands as I always have to go over my foundation with a sponge and and do circular motions on my face to blend the foundation properly and get rid of any streaks etc.
    I can guarantee you, your make up is much more riddled with icky bacteria than your hands! :)
    How can you guarantee that?

Toast4532 wrote: »

Well, you don't wash your make up. Every time you open a bottle or lid, you expose the contents to bacteria and dirt. On the other hand, you wash your hands regularly so bacteria isn't festering. I don't know if April is actually right, but I'm guessing that's the basis of her statement.

That's one good reason I don't use a brush actually - I'm rubbish at remembering to wash them! Safer for my skin to use my hands :D

Honey-ec wrote: »

I should hope so :eek: :P

I wouldn't really guarantee that tbh depends on the person. Infection control is a fairly big part of my job so I have a good idea of levels of bacteria on various surfaces. Hands that aren't regularly washed have higher levels of bacteria than most people would believe. It's actually disgusting.
    Faith wrote: »
    Well, you don't wash your make up. Every time you open a bottle or lid, you expose the contents to bacteria and dirt. On the other hand, you wash your hands regularly so bacteria isn't festering. I don't know if April is actually right, but I'm guessing that's the basis of her statement.

What's that got to do with the brush/hand issue though? the bottle is being opened and exposed to the same bacteria whether you use a brush or your hands.

I wasn't trying to start a debate on it :pac: I was just giving some tips :D

(I also said you should do the same with your brushes but noone noticed that bit!!!)

Well, you don't wash your make up. Every time you open a bottle or lid, you expose the contents to bacteria and dirt.

Well this wouldn't be quite so much of an issue with pump-dispensed foundations, but yes, people do need to pay attention to the fact that make-up has a use-by date. When I pointed out the little lifespan symbols that are on all cosmetics to one of my friends, you'd swear I'd just let her in on the third secret of Fatima.

That's these little dudes, for anyone who might not have known, btw. The figure is the number of months the product is good for once opened. Obviously things like mascara and gel eyeliners have a much shorter shelf-life than powders, etc.

1214-a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Like a previous poster, I also use DoubleWear and when I first started using it, I applied it with a foundation brush but it left brush marks along my face and it was also a nightmare to wash (the brush, not my face).

I started using my fingers soon after.
    I pour a little foundation on the back of my hand use my fingers to apply.

DoubleWear is great because it dries quite quickly and I find using my fingers blends better.

I use Johnson's Baby Wipes to remove the makeup from the back of my hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

I have been using Real Techniques buffing brush or expert face brush, but recently after hearing good reviews about the Beauty blender i picked up a cheap one from ebay, that cost €2 or €3 from China! I love it been using it ever since, some times get a little messy but i always keep face wipes at hand for any spillages or mistakes! Havent used my brushes since.

I wouldn't really guarantee that tbh depends on the person. Infection control is a fairly big part of my job so I have a good idea of levels of bacteria on various surfaces. Hands that aren't regularly washed have higher levels of bacteria than most people would believe. It's actually disgusting.

Oh I know... but make up tends to be absolutely crawling with the stuff, rivalling or even surpassing the dirtiest hand.

Toast4532 wrote: »

Make up is... dirty.

Now, not washing your hands before using the stuff will obviously contribute to its bacterial load. :) When you wash your hands, you actually have as much bacteria on your hands as before you wash, but it's the bacteria that supposed to be there: S. epidermidis. This is grand, as it's what lives on your skin all over. But a dirty hand will have all kinds of crap on there.

But there are other factors too, like Faith mentioned. Your make up bottles can get contaminated from other sources. Bacteria settling on open containers, being kept in the bathroom. The creaminess of lots of make up seems to be conducive to the harbouring of bacteria.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Where did you get the Sephora brush? I like their own brand brushes. We got Sephora back at home but it is waaay overpriced (as all cosmetics are there).

I got it in New York as part of this set http://www.sephora.com/advanced-airbrush-set-P280421?skuId=1302371 $65 so not craaaazy money, and I do use all the brushes in it. I've had them over two years and they're in great shape after regular washing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I always use my fingers. I can't stand the texture of make up brushes on my skin.
    My mam uses one of the Real Technique brushes and I don't think it's that great. Maybe she just uses too much foundation but I think it goes on too thick and doesn't work that well with her wrinkles.

Please tell me I'm not the only one freaking out over the bacteria in makeup conversation.

• Advertisement

Aoifums wrote: »
    Please tell me I'm not the only one freaking out over the bacteria in makeup conversation.

Don't be. Every surface you touch and the entire surface of your body is crawling with bacteria. None of it has killed you yet.

Yeh there is bacteria everywhere! I was being vain and talking about getting spots from it - not getting sick or anything. Bacteria is good as well as bad!

What's that got to do with the brush/hand issue though?

Oh nothing, I was just explaining the hand/make-up bacteria.

Oh nothing, I was just explaining the hand/make-up bacteria.

Yeh I totally misread April's post as talking about brushes rather than the actual make up!

Yeah, didn't mean to freak anyone out! :)

Just wash your hands, and brushes if you use them (I don't, fingers all the way), and don't keep make-up for ages and ages. Mascara would be the most important one to change after the expiry date goes as it's going very near your eye. Eye shadow wouldn't be as much of an issue as it's powdery.

• Advertisement

I always use my fingers. I don't often wear foundaton and when I do, I don't apply it all over my face, just the bits that might need it - mainly the centre - and I like it very light.

I have a Real Techniques brush but it ends up a fuller coverage than I'm after. If thats your bag, I can understand going for a brush.

Advertisement