Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whinning from GPU during high FPS

• 11-09-2013 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I've just built a new rig with the intention of OC where I could, summary specs below. During benchmark testing (3d mark) while looking to get stock measurements I noticed the GPU 'screaming' during small loads / high FPS while it's relaively quiet during normal to high load. I looked this up and it appears common enough- it's either the caps or the coils 'leaking' from what i gather- no biggie. (I'm happy for anyone to explain it better in children's language if they can)

So with regard to OC the GPU- should I be worried if the stock values appears to be this stressful?

Spec summary:
    MB: asrock z77 e4
    CPU: i5 3750K
    GPU: 7950 sapphire OC (boost) flex

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Afaik the caps have the coils in them and on your card there "closed".
    Open caps have the coils exposed so people would try put glue or nail polish on the coils to stop the whine.

I've a sapphire 7970 which squeals like a right b!tch :mad:
    The more volts i add when overclocking the worse it gets.Even at stock is bad imo as it water cooled so i dont have much noise from fans.
    So with regard to OC the GPU- should I be worried if the stock values appears to be this stressful?
    Nothing to worry about as its common enough with sapphire cards.
    Maybe it just sounds worse at stock because the fan isn't ramping up as much as when your oc'ed?

A good few people fixed it by running a benchmark like 3dmark overnight.Sometimes it just goes away too after a few days of gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭McCalvin

game4it70 wrote: »

Nothing to worry about as its common enough with sapphire cards.

just what I was hoping to hear- thank you for the info. At least I know there's nothing I can do about it.

Jmped straight onto OC the GPU and have it stable (so far) at 1150/1350 from 925/1250 without touching voltage. Noise is about the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

My card whines on the intro screen and menu screen of some games, especially total war games, then as soon as your loading or in game not a peep of it its an msi card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You're not going to get it the majority of the time. It only seems to happen when the card is rendering crazy frame rates.

Limit your frame rate to your monitors refresh rate and it will never happen.

Advertisement