Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short last minute questions before travelling to the states

Options
  • 11-09-2013 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm heading off in a few weeks times and I have a few questions I need answered. Any information would be a great help.

First off, I'm only going over for four days to go to a concert and meet up with friends. That being said I'm not too clear on the ESTA and VWP stuff. I know you fill out the ESTA form and make the payment but then how do you obtain the visa waiver? I heard some people saying you fill out another form on your flight. Is that correct?

Another thing, seeing as I'm going over for four days is there a specific amount of money I'll need in my bank account to be allowed into the country? I have the hotel and all sorted so it's literally just spending money for four days so I won't have loads. Will that be a problem?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

On the ESTA procedure.... you fill out the online form and (hopefully) get approval and.... that's it. You don't need to print anything or fill out any more paperwork. When you arrive at the airport pre-clearance desk you hand over your passport, they will enter it in their system and your ESTA approval will come up.

They normally don't ask to see any cash or evidence of money in your account, just have your story ready and don't come across as evasive. If you have a ticket for that concert and/or an e-mail with your hotel confirmation, it would be no harm to have them printed off to show the official in case they think you're going over there to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SwearBySin

Cheers for the quick reply and thanks for clearing that ESTA stuff up there! It was just bugging me, thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

You would have to be in pretty rough shape for them to start asking you about how much money you have.

Usually its just How Long, Business or pleasure and (maybe) what hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

SwearBySin wrote: »
    I'm heading off in a few weeks times and I have a few questions I need answered. Any information would be a great help.

First off, I'm only going over for four days to go to a concert and meet up with friends. That being said I'm not too clear on the ESTA and VWP stuff. I know you fill out the ESTA form and make the payment but then how do you obtain the visa waiver? I heard some people saying you fill out another form on your flight. Is that correct?

Another thing, seeing as I'm going over for four days is there a specific amount of money I'll need in my bank account to be allowed into the country? I have the hotel and all sorted so it's literally just spending money for four days so I won't have loads. Will that be a problem?

Thanks in advance.

Do your ESTA. Once approved, no paperwork needed.

Check in: before your flight to the US you'll be given a customs form to fill in. It's pretty straightforward. If you're flying out of Dublin direct to New York, you'll generally do US Customs and Immigration in Dublin, and that'll entail them checking your passport, taking electronic fingerprints and a picture and dealing with your customs form. If going via some other route, you'll do that when you land in New York.

You'll probably be asked why your visiting: simply tell the truth. As said, have copies of your plans (hotel booking, return flight, concert ticket etc) and you should be fine. No "set" amount of money needed. You'll probably have some US dollars and your ATM/Debit/Credit cards etc which will be sufficent if they do ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No need to worry about the money. You'll only be asked to show proof of having enough funds to support yourself when you are in the US, if you are planning on going there for a lot longer than the standard 2 week holiday. If you are only going for a few days, you have even less to worry about. Unless you have an especially suspicious looking face, or something is wrong with your paperwork, you won't be asked much other than the nature of your visit. If you just answer 'a holiday' or 'to visit friends' you'll be fine.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    No need to worry about the money. You'll only be asked to show proof of having enough funds to support yourself when you are in the US, if you are planning on going there for a lot longer than the standard 2 week holiday. If you are only going for a few days, you have even less to worry about. Unless you have an especially suspicious looking face, or something is wrong with your paperwork, you won't be asked much other than the nature of your visit. If you just answer 'a holiday' or 'to visit friends' you'll be fine.

I'd caution against absolutes. I've been asked how much cash/cards I have before when simply going for a long weekend and the agents are quite able to ask.

OP it's quite likely you won't be, but just be prepared and honest. It's really not half as bad as you fear 99.9% of the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

BuffyBot wrote: »
    I'd caution against absolutes. I've been asked how much cash/cards I have before when simply going for a long weekend and the agents are quite able to ask.

OP it's quite likely you won't be, but just be prepared and honest. It's really not half as bad as you fear 99.9% of the time :)

That's awful. How do you answer such a question? Does credit count? What about investments? Property etc?

What about charge cards like AmEx that arent necessarily "credit"?

I'd be outraged...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Be honest. Dress smart. Declare everything. Give them every detail before they finish asking...or else...it's rubber glove time :eek:

goz83 wrote: »
    Be honest. Dress smart. Declare everything. Give them every detail before they finish asking...or else...it's rubber glove time :eek:

Careful now...... if you're too well prepared it may smack of a well rehearsed fairy tale.

Just answer every question you're asked naturally and honestly, stick to the question you've been asked and be reasonably brief. Do not overload them with information they didn't ask for.

That's awful. How do you answer such a question? Does credit count? What about investments? Property etc?

Simply: "I've got $300, my debit and credit cards" in my case. Just poking for responses, which is part of what they do. How you respond to questions can tell them much as your answers.
    Be honest. Dress smart. Declare everything. Give them every detail before they finish asking...or else...it's rubber glove time

That's just hyperbole, and not particularily helpful to nervous travellers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

BuffyBot wrote: »

That's just hyperbole, and not particularily helpful to nervous travellers.

I thought it was a pretty obvious joke. I couldn't help myself.

1370.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

coylemj wrote: »
    Careful now...... if you're too well prepared it may smack of a well rehearsed fairy tale.

Just answer every question you're asked naturally and honestly, stick to the question you've been asked and be reasonably brief. Do not overload them with information they didn't ask for.

This is the most important thing...do not offer any information. If they want to know anything, they will ask. I've been through the border so many times, and the experience ranges from a folksy "how are you today sir" and chat about vacation/life in the states etc to a wordless stamping of my passport.

The border guys are well trained, and will spot you if you look uncomfortable or shifty, which will lead to more in depth questions. If you're going in on vacation, you will 90% not be asked for your financial details. As long as you have a hotel booking you'll be fine.

In May when I went through in Dublin, it was polite and to the point. I think he just confirmed my job title and visa status. However, the guy next to sauntered up to the desk, put his elbows on the desk and shouted in a loud country accent "how are ya bud". I was already on the way through, so didn't hear too much else, but the only thing I did hear was "get your arms off the desk sir".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

InTheTrees wrote: »

What about charge cards like AmEx that arent necessarily "credit"?

I'd be outraged...

They aren't checking to see if you're a millionaire.......but even if you're just going for the weekend, you'd be expected to just have a few hundred dollars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

As long as you have a hotel booking you'll be fine.

What if you are staying with a friend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

tricky D wrote: »
    What if you are staying with a friend?

As long as you have an address, any address you're fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

And be prepared to explain your relationship with this person if you're staying with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

the guy with the thick glasses (dunno if he moved to T2) made me call my friend in the US to get the exact address one time as I had no clue! My fault though I said I can ring her...

As someone said earlier..don't answer what you are not asked!!!

the guy with the thick glasses (dunno if he moved to T2) made me call my friend in the US to get the exact address one time as I had no clue! My fault though I said I can ring her...

Moral of the story: Update your ESTA approval with the zipcode of where you'll be staying on your first night in the US before you turn up at immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

years before esta in my case!

Advertisement