Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players to considring selling and to avoid buying

• 11-09-2013 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭

Knowing when to sell is a very important skill in this game and I think it deserves its own thread. When a player has delivered for you it can be hard to transfer him out and lots of players will probably wait until there is evidence that the good run has come to an end before selling. Not saying this is the right strategy but I prefer to identify when I feel a player has reached his maximum price/potential and move him on. I got it spot on with tevez last year however got it totally wrong with suarez had him at 9.4 he rose to 9.8 scoring a fair few goals in the process. I felt his price wouldnt rise any further and the goals would dry up, he kept scoring and I think his price reached 10.4 when I got him back in.
    Anyway I currently feel
    1 Yaya toure has reached the stage when its time to move him on. 8.8 and playing very deep for city as swiper mentioned in another thread hes not going to be scoring free kicks every week.
    2 Coleman contreversial opinion perhaps but due to hit 5.5 I dont think hes worth that as I think the clean sheets will dry up.For those that got him at 5 happy days. But for the rest I reckon that ship has sailed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Terrible time to sell Yaya, not far off going up in price again.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Want2know

Good topic for a thread. I'd add Dzeko to the list as he's been taken off in the last 2 games I believe for Negredo who has come on and scored both times

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

bohsman wrote: »
    Terrible time to sell Yaya, not far off going up in price again.

Sorry I should have added as soon as he gets that rise. Have him in my team at the moment for that very reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Similar, good and all as it is to have a Man City mid that plays every week I think there's better value between 8.5 and 9.5m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Glen Johnson will be out for a while. Maybe Touré will play right back but either way, you can benefit from a cheap Liverpool defender for a few weeks.

Ozil is a point getter through and through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭moreau

2 Coleman contreversial opinion perhaps but due to hit 5.5 I dont think hes worth that as I think the clean sheets will dry up.For those that got him at 5 happy days. But for the rest I reckon that ship has sailed.

Nice thread, something that is very difficult to judge and inevitably can come back to bite

Re Coleman, I thankfully had him at the start @ 5m but am really thinking of selling for 5.2 and getting in a 5.5 defender such as Mert.

Everton's fixtures are tough and I don't see them maintaining a lot of CS with Martinez. Further, Fellaini is a huge loss defensively and I see them being more open now down the middle.

Coleman was of course great value, but constantly looking at value and prices can sometimes blind us to sensible transfers, or maybe I am overthinking this?

PS I don't like the benching/rotating option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

moreau wrote: »
    Nice thread, something that is very difficult to judge and inevitably can come back to bite

Re Coleman, I thankfully had him at the start @ 5m but am really thinking of selling for 5.2 and getting in a 5.5 defender such as Mert.

Everton's fixtures are tough and I don't see them maintaining a lot of CS with Martinez. Further, Fellaini is a huge loss defensively and I see them being more open now down the middle.

Coleman was of course great value, but constantly looking at value and prices can sometimes blind us to sensible transfers, or maybe I am overthinking this?

PS I don't like the benching/rotating option

My thought exactly.

Logically, an Everton defender for their next few fixtures doesn't make a lot of sense, so it is time to cash in I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Benimar wrote: »
    My thought exactly.

Logically, an Everton defender for their next few fixtures doesn't make a lot of sense, so it is time to cash in I think.

At the minute Coleman is almost a straight swap for an Arsenal defender with the profit I'll make so I'll be going with that.

I'll also be shipping Barkley the minute he loses his place (which could well be this weekend) and the price rises stagnate.

I think Dzeko is another that has to go. He was given his chance because of a good pre season but Negredo has been far more impressive in his limited playing time. I think its only a matter of time until Dzeko is back on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Zabeleta for me especially as I have made 0.2m on him since GW1. He's done ok for me attacking wise but City defence has been ropey and can see a few goals conceded next few weeks. Hopefully he'll start to drop in price then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Sorry I should have added as soon as he gets that rise. Have him in my team at the moment for that very reason.

Spot on about yaya, i can see him changing into an old school defensive midfielder once our(im a city fan) midfield gets shown up again as we have no one else capable of doing it to a reasonable level in the squad. I also think he is at his best when playing in front of a midfield two and doesnt look like pelligrini is into that system. besides his two frees he didnt do much in the games he played imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

if money is not an obstacle who would you choose...
    lamela or eriksen..or neither?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

if money is not an obstacle who would you choose...
    lamela or eriksen..or neither?

Based on yesterday i think Eriksen will be an assist machine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 148 ✭✭Algeria

I'll probably ditch Soldado, use a -4 and bring in Rooney

Knowing when to sell is a very important skill in this game and I think it deserves its own thread. When a player has delivered for you it can be hard to transfer him out and lots of players will probably wait until there is evidence that the good run has come to an end before selling.
    1 Yaya toure has reached the stage when its time to move him on. 8.8 and playing very deep for city as swiper mentioned in another thread hes not going to be scoring free kicks every week.
    Dont think Ill be making anymore recommendations in this thread. I was right in a way yayas not going to be scoring free kicks every week just goals from open play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

It could potentially be time to move Sturridge on. With Suarez back his goal tally could be affected.

Might look into moving Dawson on as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Danger781 wrote: »
    It could potentially be time to move Sturridge on. With Suarez back his goal tally could be affected.

Might look into moving Dawson on as well..

I'd say Dawson is a case of wait until he's dropped to sell i.e. be reactive but be aware of the situation because we've been saying for weeks that he'll be dropped and he hasn't yet. Buying him in may be another story though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I'd say Dawson is a case of wait until he's dropped to sell i.e. be reactive but be aware of the situation because we've been saying for weeks that he'll be dropped and he hasn't yet. Buying him in may be another story though

Yeah he's staying put for now for sure. He'll only go if I have a spare transfer in the coming weeks.

Fonte looks quite appealing though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I thought I was being very clever getting YaYa out on my wildcard last week, AND not getting Ramsey in and gloating about his goal drought.

As regards Dawson, were people seriously banking on a Spurs clean sheet against Chelsea, anytime they don't concede 3 against them is a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Posted about this on the another thread but probably more relevant to this one. Anyone thinking that it might be nearing time to sell Ramsey? I'm thinking when arsenal have everyone back and are playing Ozil, Walcott and Cazorla behind Giroud that surely it's likely that Ramsey's unreal FPL returns will diminish even if he stays in the team and maintains his good form. Add in more likelihood of rotation in the Arsenal midfield in general and maybe it's time for those who were on him from early to pocket 0.5m or so profit and strengthen elsewhere.

In my case I'd love to get Morrison in and if I got him for Ramsey I could use the 1.5m saved to upgrade say Erikson to a 9m plus midfielder like Mata or Silva.

Interested to hear what people think re Ramsey.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

FHFC wrote: »
    Posted about this on the another thread but probably more relevant to this one. Anyone thinking that it might be nearing time to sell Ramsey? I'm thinking when arsenal have everyone back and are playing Ozil, Walcott and Cazorla behind Giroud that surely it's likely that Ramsey's unreal FPL returns will diminish even if he stays in the team and maintains his good form. Add in more likelihood of rotation in the Arsenal midfield in general and maybe it's time for those who were on him from early to pocket 0.5m or so profit and strengthen elsewhere.

In my case I'd love to get Morrison in and if I got him for Ramsey I could use the 1.5m saved to upgrade say Erikson to a 9m plus midfielder like Mata or Silva.

Interested to hear what people think re Ramsey.....

i was very late on board the ramsey express so would like to get some points out of him to justify my points hit to get him but i won't be stubborn and keep him if i feel what you posted above is true.
    I want to get brady back in soon and morrison as you say is another cheap option, my midfield is currently januzaj, ozil, moses, barkley and ramsey so as you can see apart from ozil it's all cheap midfielders, i have the money there to get in a better midfielder and would be looking at coutinho or walcott when they're back or else oscar.
    so if it's walcott then ramsey will have to go as i already have ozil and giroud.
    as for the 3 cheaper mids, barkley is staying and i want brady for the season, the last spot is kind of up for grabs between morrison, januzaj and ramsey (if i don't get walcott)

• Advertisement

Ramsey answered loud and clear again, I def don't have the cahońes to sell him yet I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Ramsey answered loud and clear again, I def don't have the cahońes to sell him yet I think!

same here...but do you have the cahońes to pick him as captain? seems no one actually has faith in him as he is never picked as captain. I think everyone is just waiting to cash in on him.

Is Coleman's time up?? Hard fixtures a coming, haemorrhaging quite a few transfers already. Feel guilty being a Donegal man but may need to get him out and Johnston in....

Anybody else shifting Coleman? Or do yis think Evertons defence will come good and his attacking returns will, eh, return.

Anybody else shifting Coleman? Or do yis think Evertons defence will come good and his attacking returns will, eh, return.

Everton and Coleman over performed at the start of the season in terms of clean sheets. I don't expect many under Martinez.

I already have next week's transfer planned but after that Coleman is certainly one I'll be looking at.

That said, he's by no means a player that I'm in a rush to rid myself of either. I'm happy enough to let other transfers take priority and let him sit there if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I'm just wondering how much longer I can risk holding on to Coleman for. Have made a 0.3 profit on him so far, that seems to be stalling, but any time he's in my thoughts to sell, another player hits a dip in form, a plumet in transfers, or injury.

This GW its José Enrique that looks like will have the door shown to him ahead of Coleman. Wonder if I'm putting to much emphasis on the price/transfers rises/falls this season.

Any advise or thoughts.

PS, Its my first season using the likes of TOTAL and FISO.

Knowing when to sell is a very important skill in this game and I think it deserves its own thread. When a player has delivered for you it can be hard to transfer him out and lots of players will probably wait until there is evidence that the good run has come to an end before selling. Not saying this is the right strategy but I prefer to identify when I feel a player has reached his maximum price/potential and move him on. I got it spot on with tevez last year however got it totally wrong with suarez had him at 9.4 he rose to 9.8 scoring a fair few goals in the process. I felt his price wouldnt rise any further and the goals would dry up, he kept scoring and I think his price reached 10.4 when I got him back in.
    Anyway I currently feel
    and this is the reason Im having a shocking time of it this year. Yaya, coleman , ramsey and my stubborness have cost me the chance of a 3rd top 5k finish in a row. I'll be doing well to make the top 100k at this stage.:mad:

and this is the reason Im having a shocking time of it this year. Yaya, coleman , ramsey and my stubborness have cost me the chance of a 3rd top 5k finish in a row. I'll be doing well to make the top 100k at this stage.:mad:

It's way too early to be saying that IMO. There's another 20 GWs to go.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I was 250k going into this week and only on 50 pts so far this week. Its looking bleak from where Im sitting. Ive had a disaster of a few weeks have dropped off massively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

I was 250k going into this week and only on 50 pts so far this week. Its looking bleak from where Im sitting. Ive had a disaster of a few weeks have dropped off massively.

230k going in this week and 45 net so far so u will be ahead of me tonight, shocking season do far but still think i can get 50k before the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Have had some great luck but desperate weeks have cost me in my leagues.Example of luck is Ramsey,Barkley and Suarez at low prices.Stuck with Soldado and Van Persie for too long

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Hmmm...

This.

And, in my opinion, you need to:
    1) get in all the popular players you can and you don't already have during the January WC,
    2) not try to be too cute with your captain choice (FFS poll is a good trend to follow)
    3) hope for a few DGW.

2 years ago I was around 200k at this time of the season and finished inside top 20k. Though I still had my WC but played it just a couple of GWs (36 I think it was) before the end of the season to take advantage of a big DGW. I got a big score and a weekly prize in my private league for it but "only" gained 20k position overall from it. To make it short I see no reasons why you could not easily get into the top 100k come the end of the season. We've not yet reached the season half and the hectic Christmas and Jan WC periods are just about to start. The only thing though is you'd have to pour your stubborness down the drain :P.

I reckon I was that far back last year and I finished in the top 10k. I'm sure people are sick of hearing me say it but Xmas will really make or break teams.

There's a team just behind me in my work league. The lad is top 10k and he's going into Xmas with Fonte, Aguero, Zabaleta and some Fulham lad called Alex Pozuelo or something (who never plays) in his team.

That's suicide at this time of year and he's not the only team I've seen like that. It's been the year of the casual player so far but hopefully Xmas ends that.

iroced wrote: »
    Hmmm...

This.

And, in my opinion, you need to:
    1) get in all the popular players you can and you don't already have during the January WC,
    2) not try to be too cute with your captain choice (FFS poll is a good trend to follow)
    3) hope for a few DGW.

2 years ago I was around 200k at this time of the season and finished inside top 20k. Though I still had my WC but played it just a couple of GWs (36 I think it was) before the end of the season to take advantage of a big DGW. I got a big score and a weekly prize in my private league for it but "only" gained 20k position overall from it. To make it short I see no reasons why you could not easily get into the top 100k come the end of the season. We've not yet reached the season half and the hectic Christmas and Jan WC periods are just about to start. The only thing though is you'd have to pour your stubborness down the drain :P.
    I just cant see myself getting yaya and coleman at their current prices. Ramsey I'll probably bite the bullet on. Maybe I was being a bit overdramatic about top 100k but Ive had a shocking run the last month. Havent had one clean sheet and have left a clean sheet on the bench every week. For example played johnson over ollson this week and ollson over johnson the previous week. The right decision but its just not happening at the moment. Luckily Ive been captaining suarez for all his big hauls apart from the spurs game.
    As you can see my stubborness is staying right where it is:eek:

I reckon I was that far back last year and I finished in the top 10k. I'm sure people are sick of hearing me say it but Xmas will really make or break teams.

There's a team just behind me in my work league. The lad is top 10k and he's going into Xmas with Fonte, Aguero, Zabaleta and some Fulham lad called Alex Pozuelo or something (who never plays) in his team.

That's suicide at this time of year and he's not the only team I've seen like that. It's been the year of the casual player so far but hopefully Xmas ends that.

I know theres a lad 120 pts ahead of me he has made 2 transfers since gw 7. Still has aguero he is top 5k. I was hoping to make ground over xmas but its been a bad start. Could do with oscar, hazard, ozil, terry saving my gw tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

I just cant see myself getting yaya and coleman at their current prices. Ramsey I'll probably bite the bullet on. [...]
    As you can see my stubborness is staying right where it is:eek:

Well get Silva in instead of Yaya then :D.
    If you have the funds I'd recommend you bite the bullet about Coleman too. He's on fire and his next 4 games are Sunderland (H), Southampton (H), Stoke (A) and Norwich (H). In theory it cannot be any better can it?

iroced wrote: »
    Well get Silva in instead of Yaya then :D.
    If you have the funds I'd recommend you bite the bullet about Coleman too. He's on fire and his next 4 games are Sunderland (H), Southampton (H), Stoke (A) and Norwich (H). In theory it cannot be any better can it?

Reading the posts from Sept including mine about Coleman who I then sold is making me sad...... :(

I know theres a lad 120 pts ahead of me he has made 2 transfers since gw 7. Still has aguero he is top 5k. I was hoping to make ground over xmas but its been a bad start. Could do with oscar, hazard, ozil, terry saving my gw tomorrow.

This week was never going to suit some teams. I have five between two teams. Them playing each other was always going to be a struggle. There's now 3 GWs in the next ten days. That's where the points will be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

Finished inside top 3,000 last year and top 15,000 the year before. Like some in here my stubbornness has been my downfall this year. Leaving Ramsey until he was 7.5 was just suicide. That's 1.5 - 2 million I could have saved and God knows how many points I could have gained. I have him now but it's too late. I'm not going to take big risks yet but I said last night I was thinking of a replacement for Lukaku. Time might be coming soon for me to sell him. There will come a time sooner rather than later when I'll need differentials. When you're 468,000 in the world you're going to need differentials! So when will be the right time to sell Lukaku and who to get in his place? If Aguero is indeed out for 6+ weeks then Dzeko might be the answer I'm looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

G1032 wrote: »
    Finished inside top 3,000 last year and top 15,000 the year before. Like some in here my stubbornness has been my downfall this year. Leaving Ramsey until he was 7.5 was just suicide. That's 1.5 - 2 million I could have saved and God knows how many points I could have gained. I have him now but it's too late. I'm not going to take big risks yet but I said last night I was thinking of a replacement for Lukaku. Time might be coming soon for me to sell him. There will come a time sooner rather than later when I'll need differentials. When you're 468,000 in the world you're going to need differentials! So when will be the right time to sell Lukaku and who to get in his place? If Aguero is indeed out for 6+ weeks then Dzeko might be the answer I'm looking for.

3 of Lukakus next 4 games are at home though.

Ade and Dzeko could be good differentials.

• Advertisement

djPSB wrote: »
    3 of Lukakus next 4 games are at home though.

Ade and Dzeko could be good differentials.

I'm tempted by Lukaku to Dzeko but giving him another week at least. Selling him before Sunderland at home not really logical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

I'm tempted by Lukaku to Dzeko but giving him another week at least. Selling him before Sunderland at home not really logical.

I agreed with this and kept him but it is time for me and Mr Lukaku to part company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I think I've found the worst player in the history of the game. Stephen Taylor has played one game for Newcastle this season and scored -4 points. Impressive!

Advertisement