Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to know the breed of my dog

• 11-09-2013 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone just wondering can anyone help me out with the breed of my dog i reckon shes a border collie , but i don't think her hair is long enough for it , Meet Gypsy :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Yeah looks like a border collie to me. A little plump though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yep she ballooned after we got her neutered last year 1 of the best dogs i've ever had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Deffo a border collie and like the other poster, she looks quite over weight. I suggest you reduce her food intake and increase her exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Border Collies can be both short-coated, and prick-eared.

Both my collie girls were slim and svelte after neutering, right into old age. So don't be defeatist about her weight, just because she's neutered. Cut back on the food slightly and up the exercise. It's so, so important to keep your dog slim. Fat dogs have an increased risk of serious disease and I always feel its a travesty to see a traditional working dog overweight.

Yeah she's definitly been getting alot of extra left overs so will be looking to cut back on those big time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Defo would go for full collie, she's a real working type.
    I won't go on about her weight op, you know what you've gotta do! It's not neutering that causes weight gain, it's too much food. I'd suggest enlisting the help of your vet and vet nurses to structure a healthy, balanced weight loss program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

A tubby border collie, I have a short haired one that looks a bit like a slimline version of that dog :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

DBB wrote: »
    Defo would go for full collie, she's a real working type.
    I won't go on about her weight op, you know what you've gotta do! It's not neutering that causes weight gain, it's too much food. I'd suggest enlisting the help of your vet and vet nurses to structure a healthy, balanced weight loss program.

Yep deffo agree, both mine are spayed/neutered respectively and aren't overweight, actually my collie mix is very slender and she was spayed 2.5 years ago now, my constant battle to keep them at a healthy weight is my husband giving them 'a bit of toast' or 'just a bit of my sandwich', honestly they know not to try the old sad eyes on me cos it doesn't work, I do not share my food!! But my husband is such a soft touch, the sad eyes, the under the table and head in the lap move until I come in and tell them 'bed' then a big sigh and a glare in my direction then onto the bed. So OP I think you just need to harden up and stop with the scraps and make sure whatever you're feeding them you're not feeding them too much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jandm

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    they know not to try the old sad eyes on me cos it doesn't work, I do not share my food!! But my husband is such a soft touch, the sad eyes

Same in this house - husband struggles to resist the two pairs of brown eyes of our sweet faced collie and dancing cocker spaniel. Need to harden up and resist no matter how cruel Gypsy says that you are - all for her own good and she will live longer and healthier.

Yeah its my girlfriend who's a terror for it , giving her leftovers all the time, But it all stops now :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement