Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couldn't believe my own eyes!

Options
  • 11-09-2013 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Today I bought a 25g Amber Leaf pouch from Centra, Blackpool, Cork. Guess what I found inside the pouch. A SLICE OF BREAD instead of tobacco!. I couldn't believe my own eyes. I even tasted a bit just to confirm what I saw. I rushed back to Centra which is a few walks away from my house, of cause they look at me with a suspicious eyes. They can't do anything for me because I didn't opened it in front of them (Who would anyway). I opened from a sealed pouch. I mailed to info.ie@jti.com with attached images but no response at all. I WON'T PAY 10 EURO FOR A SLICE OF BREAD INSIDE TOBACCO POUCH. Somebody help me give a direction where and how would I get back my 10 euro or a replacement. Thank You.

Ye Heain Zaw

t3m8.jpg
    olm9.jpg
    ifce.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

You should remove your mobile number from public forum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Small claims court, get 50 to dust the slice of bread for prints?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Definitely one of the more unusual threads I've seen in here! Very strange!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 yeheain

thanks for that anyway. I'm a bit new to this kind of stuff and I'm really in a pissed off stage at the moment with this Amber Leaf pouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you only emailed them today, you need to give them some time to respond to the complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Write a letter to the shop and also to the manufacturer explaining what happened.

Are you sure the pouch was sealed? could it have been opened and glued shut by someone working in the shop?

any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Definitely one of the more unusual threads I've seen in here! Very strange!!!

It seems op is not the first.

http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/8623305/Butt-of-a-bad-joke

But after returning to her mother's home less than an hour later she opened it and was aghast to find not only was the tobacco missing but it had also been replaced with one slice of multi-grain bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭TheBody

Wonder if the shop sourced it from a dodgy source on the cheap?

I wonder if you bought another pack in the same shop and opened it there and then, what you would find?

It was sealed and I know that Centra. They are nice old folks which I know them over four years. To be honest, I am not used to investigate how my pouch is sealed before I open it. Who would anyway? Maybe 1 out of 100 who checked like a James Bond?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

This is becoming increasingly prevalent due to a combination of the recession and high duties on tobacco products. Eastern European gangs are intercepting shipments at ports and transit centres and replacing the contents with wheat-based food products then selling the real stuff on the black market. I bought a pack of 20 Johnnie Blue last week and it was stuffed full of stale Krispy Kreme donuts while a friend bought a box of Monte Cristo cigars for his brother's wedding-imagine everyone's face when it contained a loaf of McCambridge's stoneground bread.

Atleast this is not only me who been through prank like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

TheBody wrote: »
    I wonder if you bought another pack in the same shop and opened it there and then, what you would find?
    They could try squeezing a few. My guess is somebody made it up at home, went in, bought a new one, switched them on the sly and said "oh sorry I meant drum" or a different size.
    yeheain wrote: »
    I even tasted a bit just to confirm what I saw.
    Was it nice at least? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

It's a scam pulled in the shop. Guy goes into shop asks for amber leaf say, shop keeper hands over amber leaf, guy says I said some other brand and hands back amber leaf. In fact he has swapped the pack with one in his pocked full of the same weight of what ever. The shop keeper then puts the rubbish pack back in stock and some poor sap gets caught when he buys it.

It happened to a shop keeper friend of mine with a pack of cigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I imagine its got to do with the shop. I imagine Amber leaf is made on a production line and is completely automated, meaning an employee cant rob the tobacco. Plus the bread isnt mouldy and it takes weeks for the tobacco to reach the customer( it has to go from manufacturer to wholesaler to customer)

rubadub wrote: »
    They could try squeezing a few. My guess is somebody made it up at home, went in, bought a new one, switched them on the sly and said "oh sorry I meant drum" or a different size.

Was it nice at least? ;)

Yes it does taste good lol. This is my trophy bread for being a long term smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

This is outrageous, I hope something can be done for you, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

OP, don't let this drop. Keep the thread updated. We believe in you.

No way I will drop this! Euro 10 for a slice of bread in 9/11. I would turn the world upside down to get a replacement or 10 Euro back in my pocket. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Get them to check their camera system, they can get the times that product was sold at the tills and see if a customer done a swap. The shop & yourself have been conned by some dirt bag!
    The bread looks fresh enough which implies it was done recently.

• Advertisement

FaganJr wrote: »
    Get them to check their camera system, they can get the times that product was sold at the tills and see if a customer done a swap. The shop & yourself have been conned by some dirt bag!
    The bread looks fresh enough which implies it was done recently.

Yea I contacted to main Centra already. The guy in local Centra is not so cooperated. Let's see how they will take action.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Yea I contacted to main Centra already. The guy in local Centra is not so cooperated. Let's see how they will take action.

The local Centra is your only hope, you've got to convince them that they have been conned by someone and ye are both the victims! Also Centras have a morning & evening managers ( usually ), check at a different time with a different manager, maybe more helpful!

FaganJr wrote: »
    The local Centra is your only hope, you've got to convince them that they have been conned by someone and ye are both the victims! Also Centras have a morning & evening managers ( usually ), check at a different time with a different manager, maybe more helpful!

Thanks you. I will try first thing in the morning. Hopefully its not too late to explain everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 west20s

A switch scam by a customer who had been in previously IMHO. Same was going around before with boxes of cigarettes that just contained cardboard. That's why they brought in the no exchange policy.

west20s wrote: »
    A switch scam by a customer who had been in previously IMHO. Same was going around before with boxes of cigarettes that just contained cardboard. That's why they brought in the no exchange policy.

I could understand from the point of view of shopkeeper but I lost my words when it come to real. It just unfair to a legit customers.

I could understand from the point of view of shopkeeper but I lost my words when it come to real. It just unfair to a legit customers.

Absolutely, I would say who ever was at the tills just got caught out in the situation; either uninformed, inexperienced, undertrained or not weary of the scam, or put under undue pressure at the time. As scammers tend to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Must have been done pretty recently for the bread not to be mouldy?

athtrasna wrote: »
    Must have been done pretty recently for the bread not to be mouldy?

Probably a day old bread. I could smell a freshness once I opened it. I was so amazed and speechless that I forgot to point out about that to a guy from Centra.

<SNIP>

I know ya. who the f*** would check their stuffs like tobacco pouches/boxes or take away wrapped food in front of their sight anyway?

• Advertisement

Was this a busy city centre shop? If you were a local/regular or if it was more of a local store, a replacement and apology should not have been a problem. Also CCTV is generally backed up month by month, not even an offer to investigate = poor customer service.

Advertisement