Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insulation under bed

Options
  • 11-09-2013 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

hi what could i use to insulate under a fixed bed with ?
    there is a boot not (garage) underneath with access from the outside.

thanks
    tony

Comments

Thermawrap or similar,
    as much fiberglass as you think you need (I'd go for at least 5cm), then another layer of thermawrap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

If its goin on the roof of the boot then 50mm+ PIR e.g. kingspan, quinn, ballytherm its easy to cut, lightweight and rigid you can glue in place with expanding foam or if you can get in large pieces aluminium tape might be enough to keep it in place.

Normal Thermawrap has feck all core resitance its r-vaue is based on 25mm air gap either side without that its a waste of time. Even superquilt with its 19 layers and high pricetag has only a core reistance of 1.52.#

Also fibreglasses only redeeming feature in the very short term is its price, it sags over time, absorbs water, you need twice the thickness vs PIR, it impossible to create a consistent air gap, difficult to cut consistently, irritating to the skin,eyes, lungs, nose, its rubbish when compressed so you you can just stuf it into places.

paddyp wrote: »
    If its goin on the roof of the boot then 50mm+ PIR e.g. kingspan, quinn, ballytherm its easy to cut, lightweight and rigid you can glue in place with expanding foam or if you can get in large pieces aluminium tape might be enough to keep it in place.

Normal Thermawrap has feck all core resitance its r-vaue is based on 25mm air gap either side without that its a waste of time. Even superquilt with its 19 layers and high pricetag has only a core reistance of 1.52.#

Also fibreglasses only redeeming feature in the very short term is its price, it sags over time, absorbs water, you need twice the thickness vs PIR, it impossible to create a consistent air gap, difficult to cut consistently, irritating to the skin,eyes, lungs, nose, its rubbish when compressed so you you can just stuf it into places.

Reading that you'd never guess I just spent a few hours ripping fibreglass out of a roof to replace it with kingspan :-p

Indeed I would now that I realise what's ahead of me. facepalm.gif I think my roof's gonna get worst before it gets better. Ah blessed, blessed wood burner. I always have to laugh when folks are singing the merits of moisture meters. I've got 1.5" gaps between my door seals in places.
    Willya let us know how kingspan performs with road-noise?

Indeed I would now that I realise what's ahead of me. facepalm.gif I think my roof's gonna get worst before it gets better. Ah blessed, blessed wood burner. I always have to laugh when folks are singing the merits of moisture meters. I've got 1.5" gaps between my door seals in places.
    Willya let us know how kingspan performs with road-noise?

Kingspan is only going in the sloping part of the roof, it wouldn't be great for road noise though you need a denser insulation for that.

Road noise isn't a problem here its the howling gales that come with the beautiful view. My dad put 400mm of rockwool and triple glazing in the homeplace in cork though, very near UCC. I slept through 120 students at a house party abusing the neighbours, throwing bottles and being arrested and carted off in paddy wagons a couple of weeks ago though so the rockwool seems to be doing the job :)

• Advertisement

mmm....wind turbine country

mmm....wind turbine country

One of the neighbours has one, the other neighbours hate him. This is what a small turbine sounds like in a gale.

http://vimeo.com/6159478

:D

I love the smell of electrons in the morning.

Noise can be significantly reduced by good blade design.

Advertisement