Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should John Delaney also do the honourable thing?

• 11-09-2013 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭

While we are at it,should the whole lot be started fresh.
    Should Mr Delaney step down from his dictatorship leadership?

Could a mod add a yes,no,dont know poll please?

Should he resign / step down? 163 votes

Yes he should
    0%
    No he shouldn't
    93%
    gandalfbyteAugmersonSeanehDempseyTouchingVirusDcullygimmickThe_B_ManZaphKingp35keano_afcjoe123joe316Chardee MacDennisbad2dabonegustafobassey[Jackass]TheDoc 153 votes
    Spoiled vote / Atari Jaguar
    6%
    homerjay2005tapfit2004[-0-]Fr Tod UmptiousweldoninhioFrancie BarrettLovely BlokeDeanAustinToo Tough To DieSir Humphrey Appleby 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Yep he should go. Football in this country is embarrassing. Our league is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

While we are at it,should the whole lot be started fresh.
    Should Mr Delaney step down from his dictatorship leadership?

Could a mod add a yes,no,dont know poll please?

If there is a poll, can people only reply if they put together a coherent argument.

The vast majority of people will say yes but have no idea why beyond "The team isn't doing well and sure Delaney is a dope because the media say so".

No saying he shouldn't go but there are a lot of people calling for his head and they don't really know why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

No he shouldn't
    Getting rid of Delaney wont change the culture within the FAI and they'd probably promote from within.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

of course.

Trap's exit is actually quite meaningless unless there's substantial change from the ground up, and Delaney has shown himself either incapable or unwilling to make the changes that are needed.

yes, Trap's exit and the arrival of a new manager will bring brief excitement again, but long term we'll be back in this same situation before we know it unless kids are encouraged into football and are coached properly.

Delaney's removal, allied with a revamp of the approach to football in this country will see slow, but lasting change in Ireland for the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Dempsey wrote: »
    Getting rid of Delaney wont change the culture within the FAI and they'd probably promote from within.
    Totally agree, what needs to happen in this country some other football organistion, that is run properly, challenges and beats the FAI. Its the only hope for success in this country as far as a national league is concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

That would only open the door for another headless chicken to take his place

I do actually think that people looking for Delaney to go on the basis of Trap are not being reasonable. When Trap was touted for the job, there were next to no dissenting voices and an awful lot of support for the appointment. To get rid of him after the Euros would have been a bit stupid given that his record to that point was decent.

Sacking Trap after Germany probably would have been the right thing to do but keeping him on at that point wasn't a terrible decision either. Hindsight might prove it to be wrong but Delaney can only make a decision based on what was in front of him at the time.

His job also isn't just about the senior team. Therefore, judgements about him shouldn't be solely based on the fortunes of the senior team.

One final thing, the appointment of Stan is rightly trotted out as a stick to beat Delaney with. It was a stupid, stupid appointment in my view and made no sense to me at the time. That said, I saw a poll where 33% of people were in favour of the appointment when it was made. That's 1/3 of people. So Delaney wasn't on his own in thinking that was a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

hahahaha hahahaha ha hahaha haha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahaha

hahahahahah hahahah hah ha

DeanAustin wrote: »
    His job also isn't just about the senior team. Therefore, judgements about him shouldn't be solely based on the fortunes of the senior team.

and that's why he should be sacked.

SlickRic wrote: »

Maybe. But why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I do actually think that people looking for Delaney to go on the basis of Trap are not being reasonable. When Trap was touted for the job, there were next to no dissenting voices and an awful lot of support for the appointment. To get rid of him after the Euros would have been a bit stupid given that his record to that point was decent.

Sacking Trap after Germany probably would have been the right thing to do but keeping him on at that point wasn't a terrible decision either. Hindsight might prove it to be wrong but Delaney can only make a decision based on what was in front of him at the time.

One final thing, the appointment of Stan is rightly trotted out as a stick to beat Delaney with. It was a stupid, stupid appointment in my view and made no sense to me at the time. That said, I saw a poll where 33% of people were in favour of the appointment when it was made. That's 1/3 of people. So Delaney wasn't on his own in thinking that was a good idea.

So what the hell is his job? An outsourced panel hired Trap, a billionaire paid his wages, our national league is in tatters* and youth soccer is losing numbers all the time to GAA, rugby etc. not to mention the gaping difference in the standard of coaching/facilities.

*Not having a pop at the LOI, btw, but under a better administration this league could be far more competitive.

Sacked? Who will sack him?:confused:

People talking about sacking him, him doing anything honourable are showing just how much they know about Irish Football.

Pro tip lads; Irish Football doesn't just mean the national team.

It's cringey that every time something bad happens to the national team that you get all these **** crawling out of the woodwork to berate Delaney.

He is in charge more than the national team. He is also supposed to be in charge of the league, but most of the **** calling for his head don't give a shít about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Yep he should go. Football in this country is embarrassing. Our league is a joke.

would our standing over the past 2-4 years not be in line with our long term history and our population compared to other countries in Europe? i think we are are about 27th in terms of population, but the current co-efficient has us ranked at 16th in the football standings, being about 12th 18 months ago.

people over estimate our resources and always keep forgetting that soccer is fighting a constant battle with GAA and Hurling all over the country and Rugby in other parts.

GAA rules to roost in many parts of Ireland and this, more than anything is your main reason why our underage football is not developing on a par with others.

People talking about sacking him, him doing anything honourable are showing just how much they know about Irish Football.

i said "sacked" without thinking tbh. i just meant him not being in that position anymore.

would our standing over the past 2-4 years not be in line with our long term history and our population compared to other countries in Europe? i think we are are about 27th in terms of population, but the current co-efficient has us ranked at 16th in the football standings, being about 12th 18 months ago.

people over estimate our resources and always keep forgetting that soccer is fighting a constant battle with GAA and Hurling all over the country and Rugby in other parts.

GAA rules to roost in many parts of Ireland and this, more than anything is your main reason why our underage football is not developing on a par with others.
    I know love the man as he's bought you many pints, but what are your opinions on his tenure over the LoI?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    So what the hell is his job? An outsourced panel hired Trap, a billionaire paid his wages, our national league is in tatters* and youth soccer is losing numbers all the time to GAA, rugby etc. not to mention the gaping difference in the standard of coaching/facilities.

*Not having a pop at the LOI, btw, but under a better administration this league could be far more competitive.

I'm not 100% sure of exactly what his job entails.

In regards to the panel. Did they get the appointment right? I'd say yes based on what the alternatives were at the time. If you accept that then Delaney did a good job because he pushed the idea of a panel as I recall and they got the job done.

Our national league is a joke and I think the FAI are culpable on that point. That said, is it any worse now than it ever was in recent memory and is there potential for it to be (substantially) better?

Is football losing numbers? Do we have facts on that. If football is losing numbers, again, the FAI is culpable.

Has the standard of coaching/facilities improved under his tenure? I was of the understanding that it had but am open to correction on it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Delaney lover. He has a face I'd love to smack. But I do think that some of the criticism of him is because he is an easy target and people don't really know if/why he's doing a bad job. My point around not tying his performance exclusively to the fortunes of the national team was because he is responsible for so much more than that. Much of the stuff you've mentioned actually.

until football competes with this, we can forget about ever really becoming much of a force.

i said "sacked" without thinking tbh. i just meant him not being not in that position anymore.

yeah, but the only way to remove him is for him to remove himself.

Something a man like him will never do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I definitely think he should go now, but as has been mentioned ad nauseum. We were robbed of a likely penalty shootout in Paris. In the Euros our group contained two of the eventual finalists and we got some hidings that would have been put down as several "beatings" if Given hadnt conceded several poor goals by his standards. I agree with what Giles said though, I think he his mind was made up that Ireland "could not a playa a proper gameah!" and just went with the system, his way or the highway. if he at least tried some creative players and tried to play it on the ground, we could have seen which "side" was right. He was too stubborn and quite condescending to Irish football too in my opinion, I dont think he meant to be, but its certainly the way it came across...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

One has to look at the major opposing sporting organizations in this country GAA and Rugby and compare their successes to soccer.
    The FAI have neglected the grass roots in this country for far too long.
    If you look at the current Irish team see how many qualify by the granny rule.
    Look at the homegrown talent coming through, one Robbie Brady, nurtured at Man Utd who else is there?
    Look at all the clubs struggling and have gone out of business but for lack of a few thousand probably a few weeks wages to JD.
    Now compare to Rugby and the GAA.
    A GAA club championship game in any part of the country can attract more than a big Dublin derby.
    European titles for 3 of our 4 rugby teams while a constant stream of talent coming through the ranks and MAKING it.
    The FAI have a product they should be pushing and advertising.
    It may only take one man with a few million to buy a club in Ireland and play good watchable football attracting crowds and maybe then maybe others will follow.
    The whole thing stinks and its more to do with JD and the FAI that our national team is where it is at present.
    Tl:DR Yes they should abolish the whole set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

No he shouldn't
    Should he do the honourable thing? Yes, absolutely.

Will he? Absolutely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

No he shouldn't

Pro tip lads; Irish Football doesn't just mean the national team.

It's cringey that every time something bad happens to the national team that you get all these **** crawling out of the woodwork to berate Delaney.

He is in charge more than the national team. He is also supposed to be in charge of the league, but most of the **** calling for his head don't give a shít about that.

So the FAI is a dictatorship,is it????

So the FAI is a dictatorship,is it????

yes, it is, with him at the top.

What impression are you under as to the nature of the organisation?

:confused:

No he shouldn't
    Does John have pictures of himself and Kim Jong il on the wall with Eternal leader written underneath.:D

Does John have pictures of himself and Kim Jong il on the wall with Eternal leader written underneath.:D
    he fines people who sing anti-Leader chants at matches, he has security guards intimidate people and remove banners that are anti-Delaney (at international and club games fyi).

So yeah, he does act like Kim.

Confused indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

It seems alot of hatrid for Delaney stems from his overseeing during the Trap era, and the contempt he seemed to show for the national team and its fans, especially around the draw with San Marino.

Not sure but was he in charge during Kerr and Stan, and what exactly is his involvement in overseeing the LOI and its development, which my issue is the constant rejigging of it each season, and with a team or two in trouble finanically during each one.

If someone could fill me in, or direct me, I might be able to give an more informed answer.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Confused indeed

who is confused?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

No he shouldn't
    If he drops his salary to say 75K he can stay on as far as im concerned.

• Advertisement

No he shouldn't

What is the purpose of the FAI board if Delaney has free reign on how long he will stay boss?.(genuine question)

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    It seems alot of hatrid for Delaney stems from his overseeing during the Trap era, and the contempt he seemed to show for the national team and its fans, especially around the draw with San Marino.

Not sure but was he in charge during Kerr and Stan, and what exactly is his involvement in overseeing the LOI and its development, which my issue is the constant rejigging of it each season, and with a team or two in trouble finanically during each one.

If someone could fill me in, or direct me, I might be able to give an more informed answer.

yes, he was in charge during the Stan era, and did the reprehensible act of sending a cancer ridden Bobby Robson to face the national airwaves on Joe Duffy, to field questions from angry cretins and callers too.

He was the one who announced that there would be a "world class manager" then appointed the Stan/Bobby Robson clusterfúck (no offence to Bobby here).

What is the purpose of the FAI board if Delaney has free reign on how long he will stay boss?.(genuine question)

To say "yes" to him.

Anyone who says "no" to him is removed from the organisation.

Seriously, how do people NOT know this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No he shouldn't
    Of course he should go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

One has to look at the major opposing sporting organizations in this country GAA and Rugby and compare their successes to soccer.
    The FAI have neglected the grass roots in this country for far too long.
    If you look at the current Irish team see how many qualify by the granny rule.
    Look at the homegrown talent coming through, one Robbie Brady, nurtured at Man Utd who else is there?
    Look at all the clubs struggling and have gone out of business but for lack of a few thousand probably a few weeks wages to JD.
    Now compare to Rugby and the GAA.
    A GAA club championship game in any part of the country can attract more than a big Dublin derby.
    European titles for 3 of our 4 rugby teams while a constant stream of talent coming through the ranks and MAKING it.
    The FAI have a product they should be pushing and advertising.
    It may only take one man with a few million to buy a club in Ireland and play good watchable football attracting crowds and maybe then maybe others will follow.
    The whole thing stinks and its more to do with JD and the FAI that our national team is where it is at present.
    Tl:DR Yes they should abolish the whole set up.

Maybe a semi final or a final or big local rivarly, I have been at club championship games in Meath, Louth, Armagh and Cavan in the past few months and not one has had over 1000 at them

yes, he was in charge during the Stan era, and did the reprehensible act of sending a cancer ridden Bobby Robson to face the national airwaves on Joe Duffy, to field questions from angry cretins and callers too.

He was the one who announced that there would be a "world class manager" then appointed the Stan/Bobby Robson clusterfúck (no offence to Bobby here).

I couldn't quite remember if he was in charge during Stan, but now that you mention it, the 'World Class Manager' line does ring a bell.

I suppose I could see where the FAI were going with that, guessing Stan would learn from Bobby, but to appoint a National Manager whose only experience was a defence coach was pretty damn near inexcusable.

Still interested though what his involvment is with the League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

John is probably thinking now that he deserves a pay-increase due to the added pressure of looking for a new manager.

No he shouldn't
    Delaney says O Brien will fund the next manager.

hmmmm

Do people actually think he stand down from a job paying him a massive salary, for the love of Irish football?

Zero chance of it happening. I'd imagine not many here would stamd down from their jobs either.

He'll need to be ousted which is unlikely as I'd imagine the other board members have nice cushy salaries and won't rock the boat.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Still interested though what his involvment is with the League.
    none, apart from collecting ludicrous fines to pay his wages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

No he shouldn't
    Delaney says O Brien will fund the next manager.

hmmmm

Is anyone else a little depressed that this happens?

• Advertisement

Essien wrote: »
    Is anyone else a little depressed that this happens?

Yes, as it will probably mean another overpaid foreign (none irish/british) manager.

No he shouldn't
    I also think we need a manager who can have positive affect on the attitude and mentality of the players.

In a ideal world someone who will convince the players they are world beaters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the only likely candidate that I would be genuinely delighted with and have a renewed sense of optimism would be McCarthy... I cant comment on MON at all, but taking in what others have said, doesnt seem to be that great of a choice...

If the FAI was run like the GAA, we would have a seriously good national team with no plastic paddies and a brilliant league with great attendances and teams in the group stage of the Champions League. If the process was started now it would take about 20 years to come to fruition. People who say this cant be done need only look as far as the GAA and see that it is being done albeit in a different sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

No he shouldn't
    If the FAI was run like the GAA, we would have a seriously good national team with no plastic paddies and a brilliant league with great attendances and teams in the group stage of the Champions League. If the process was started now it would take about 20 years to come to fruition. People who say this cant be done need only look as far as the GAA and see that it is being done albeit in a different sport.

This is ridiculous.

Does the Gaa Have to deal with a bigger and better league across the water? NO.

Surely extracting the urine?

SantryRed wrote: »
    Does the Gaa Have to deal with a bigger and better league across the water? NO.

Yes.

It also competes with the premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

No he shouldn't
    Yes.

It also competes with the premiership.

Couldn't be arsed getting into this bollocks about the gah

SantryRed wrote: »
    Couldn't be arsed getting into this bollocks about the gah

Me neither. Look, the LOI could be so so much better, I think we can all agree on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

The Irish national team is way, way, way down the list of reasons why Delaney should leave

• Advertisement
Advertisement