Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should John Delaney also do the honourable thing?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

No he shouldn't
    Yes.

It also competes with the premiership.

Yeah, because the droves of promising young hurlers who abandon their local sides in favour of having a go at the English league is a real handicap for the GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Essien wrote: »
    Yeah, because the droves of promising young hurlers who abandon their local sides in favour of having a go at the English league is a real handicap for the GAA.

Tbf id say its main competition is the AFL in Australia and Rugby also; it doesnt have it all its own way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'd add a poll but I don't honestly expect a single person to vote no he shouldn't...

ahh well added anyway, not that he is going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

No he shouldn't
    DrumSteve wrote: »
    Tbf id say its main competition is the AFL in Australia and Rugby also; it doesnt have it all its own way.

True, but its fair to say the GAA keeps the vast, vast majority of it's top talent. The LOI just can't keep the top Irish players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No he shouldn't
    It should be vote where we can see who wants him to stay

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

It should be vote where we can see who wants him to stay

It is! :eek:

No he shouldn't
    It is! :eek:

its not:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

No he shouldn't
    The job should be on a fixed term of years and once you complete that term, you are gone. It would mean we get a fresh injection of ideas every X amount of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Spoiled vote / Atari Jaguar
    keano_afc wrote: »
    The job should be on a fixed term of years and once you complete that term, you are gone. It would mean we get a fresh injection of ideas every X amount of years.

er, what if the person is doing a decent job and wants to stay on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If the FAI was run like the GAA, we would have a seriously good national team with no plastic paddies and a brilliant league with great attendances and teams in the group stage of the Champions League. If the process was started now it would take about 20 years to come to fruition. People who say this cant be done need only look as far as the GAA and see that it is being done albeit in a different sport.
    Agree completely. The existing youth development setup and national league are badly failing football in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

SantryRed wrote: »
    Does the Gaa Have to deal with a bigger and better league across the water? NO.
    For the purposes of attracting supporters, players and sponsorship, the Premier League is competition to the GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Crisis? What crisis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

No he shouldn't
    • A national league that has fallen on hard times, and has continuously failed to break into the homes of Irish people through a national broadcaster crying out for sport coverage. How The LOI has not got more exposure is beyond me.
    • The consistent decline of quality young players making the grade in England, due to falling immensely behind in modern coaching and playing styles.
    • Ever present lack of funding to grass roots level to promote development in the right things and important things in the game. Our kids are still being drilled that "being fit" wins your matches and "winning the second ball". Kids coached in this method will never surpass Sunday league football.
    • A national side that has seriously mismanaged players, forced exiles, being questionable in personal selection, embarrassed on the global stage, and soon to close a pretty disastrous campaign.
    • Enlisting a third party to help subsidise wages for the national coach.

The list could go on, I'd like to hear what John Delaneys actual mandate is, his KPI's and how he is actually judged, apart from lining the pockets of the FAI board members.

He appears to gave flunked every meaningul task required of a head of association for the national game, I don't see how he is still in a job, bar the fact he is lining the pockets of the board, who are the only people that can actually kick him out. Sounds very much like Government...

TheDoc wrote: »
    • The consistent decline of quality young players making the grade in England, due to falling immensely behind in modern coaching and playing styles..

This is a bollox argument, the fact is that Ireland NEVER produced players, and just relied on the English system to nurture and coach players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I just voted No

I can't really see any reason for him to leave.

In my eyes he has done the following
    Trap
    Delivered a world class manager.
    Giving Trap a contract extension prior to Euro 2012 was nothing exceptional, a lot of teams do it, it gives associations the safety net that if the manager is poached after the tournament they will get compensation.

I believe that he should have been let go after the 1-6 to Germany but at the time I don't think Mr O' Brien was willing to shell out that much cash to pay him off.

And speaking of Mr O' Brien, Delaney has to be credited for getting a billionaire to bank roll the managers salary, otherwise we would be looking at another Stan.

And speaking of Stan, yes that was a disaster and Delaney's 'world class manager' statement was ill advised, but I doubt the FAI had much money to work with and as someone else pointed out here there was considerable support for the 'experiment' at the time.

He also must be credited for the FAIs part in building the new stadium, yes the ticket sales have been a problem but they were unlucky with the economic crash and the teams lack of performance at the same time, they would have sold out in 2002 coming off a good world cup and a booming economy I bet you.
    And for all the whinging and moaning we get from fans around here the place has still sold out for some competitive matches.

As for the LOI I am not sure, I am not a follower but from the outside lokiing in it's in no worse shape than it was before the FAI took over

As for his salary, if you reduced it by half then he would be out the door and headhunted in the private sector, he is a executive professional after all.

And how does his salary compare the that of Philip Browne and Padraig Duffy by the way. The IFRU have not been without their own ticket controversies over the past few years you know.
    There is a perception in this country since the crash that anyone on a large salary somehow does not deserve it, whether they be a banker, politician, or sport executive

Yes the buying drink for the fans is cringe worthy, but equally cringe worthy are the goons who lap it up and hang out with him.
    If he was totally aloof from them they would complain that he was a fat cat snob.

Now here is the legal stuff, I am not from Waterford, I have never meet Delaney, I have never knowingly drank and drank he paid for, I do not work for the FAI

Is he Executive of the Year, no, but should he be sacked for gross misconduct either, no I don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I just voted No

I can't really see any reason for him to leave.

In my eyes he has done the following
    Trap
    Delivered a world class manager.
    Giving Trap a contract extension prior to Euro 2012 was nothing exceptional, a lot of teams do it, it gives associations the safety net that if the manager is poached after the tournament they will get compensation.

I believe that he should have been let go after the 1-6 to Germany but at the time I don't think Mr O' Brien was willing to shell out that much cash to pay him off.

And speaking of Mr O' Brien, Delaney has to be credited for getting a billionaire to bank roll the managers salary, otherwise we would be looking at another Stan.

And speaking of Stan, yes that was a disaster and Delaney's 'world class manager' statement was ill advised, but I doubt the FAI had much money to work with and as someone else pointed out here there was considerable support for the 'experiment' at the time.

He also must be credited for the FAIs part in building the new stadium, yes the ticket sales have been a problem but they were unlucky with the economic crash and the teams lack of performance at the same time, they would have sold out in 2002 coming off a good world cup and a booming economy I bet you.
    And for all the whinging and moaning we get from fans around here the place has still sold out for some competitive matches.

As for the LOI I am not sure, I am not a follower but from the outside lokiing in it's in no worse shape than it was before the FAI took over

As for his salary, if you reduced it by half then he would be out the door and headhunted in the private sector, he is a executive professional after all.

And how does his salary compare the that of Philip Browne and Padraig Duffy by the way. The IFRU have not been without their own ticket controversies over the past few years you know.
    There is a perception in this country since the crash that anyone on a large salary somehow does not deserve it, whether they be a banker, politician, or sport executive

Yes the buying drink for the fans is cringe worthy, but equally cringe worthy are the goons who lap it up and hang out with him.
    If he was totally aloof from them they would complain that he was a fat cat snob.

Now here is the legal stuff, I am not from Waterford, I have never meet Delaney, I have never knowingly drank and drank he paid for, I do not work for the FAI

Is he Executive of the Year, no, but should he be sacked for gross misconduct either, no I don't think so.

John?...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    John?...

Sorry, forgot that part, I'm not John Delaneny either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Yes, he should resign.

Purely on the basis of the Limerick Barcelona fiasco and their litany of lies, both him and Gavin should have been made to step down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Sorry, forgot that part, I'm not John Delaneny either
    sorry mate, it was a cheap shot, just crying out for it though LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I think having a go at him over Dennis O'Brien is a bit stupid.

To put positive spin on that arrangement, Delaney realises that the FAI can only afford x amount, realises that a good manager costs x + €1 million and has gotten an outside agency to fund the €1 million. That's him doing a pretty good job in my opinion. It could be the difference between hiring a novice and a man who has a winning CV. What is people's problem with it?

What level do people think the national league should realistically be at? The FAI haven't made it much better but they certainly haven't made it worse. People just aren't interested in it because it's dreadful football particularly when you watch it on TV.

• Advertisement

No he shouldn't
    We have a poorly attended league or leagues.

We have a awful youth structure.

If both those were fixed I be happy. Especially improving the young talent in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

If the FAI was run like the GAA, we would have a seriously good national team with no plastic paddies and a brilliant league with great attendances and teams in the group stage of the Champions League. If the process was started now it would take about 20 years to come to fruition. People who say this cant be done need only look as far as the GAA and see that it is being done albeit in a different sport.

Any chance of elaborating on this? You want a series of count boards i take it running county/regional teams? It makes no sense and your use of the term 'plastic paddy' is disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

If people want Delaney to step down there are many resaons why he should do so. the relative failure of the national team is not one of them imo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

No he shouldn't
    This is a bollox argument, the fact is that Ireland NEVER produced players, and just relied on the English system to nurture and coach players.

To a large degree that's true, but less so in recent times. The likes of Coleman and McLean were completely "produced" in Ireland. Moving to England didn't suddenly make them good players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

No he shouldn't
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/546500-fai-slash-league-prize-money-26694874.html
    This article says it all really, Delaney earns more than four times than what the league champions won in prize money, thats the whole club by the way.
    For the money Delaney earns (around 400K) the fai could fund a proper national youth academy for the up and coming talent from around the country.
    I work with local league soccer and I can tell you that nearly every committee involved are crooked and it goes right the whole way to the top, really can't see how it can be fixed unless a new football association is formed which by the way is against FIFA laws and if it was done Ireland would be banned from competing in International football.
    So you see what I mean the system is corrupted from local league all the way to Fifa.
    Very disillusioned to be honest, Rugby seems to be the only sport that has it half right

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/546500-fai-slash-league-prize-money-26694874.html
    This article says it all really, Delaney earns more than four times than what the league champions won in prize money, thats the whole club by the way.
    For the money Delaney earns (around 400K) the fai could fund a proper national youth academy for the up and coming talent from around the country.
    I work with local league soccer and I can tell you that nearly every committee involved are crooked and it goes right the whole way to the top, really can't see how it can be fixed unless a new football association is formed which by the way is against FIFA laws and if it was done Ireland would be banned from competing in International football.
    So you see what I mean the system is corrupted from local league all the way to Fifa.
    Very disillusioned to be honest, Rugby seems to be the only sport that has it half right

And who would run the association and how much would you pay them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

No he shouldn't
    There would be plenty of people who would do it for nothing and would do a better job, they would do it for the love of the game, but in reality surly 100k is more than enough for this job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

No he shouldn't
    All the talk of late referred to us being a small country , with a small pool of players, a league of no real substance, competing with the GAA & Rugby for players.

All these factors really do pose the question...............
    WHY IN FCUKS NAME ARE THE FAI PAYING A CHIEF EXECUTIVE A SALARY OF €360,000 A YEAR ?????????? and most likely a nice VISA card account to boot.
    As far as I am aware his salary is higher than that of the Spanish & German equivalent !!!!!!!!!!!!
    From recollection he was on a whopping €440,000 per annum and when it was raised during the "**** hitting the wall" era he reduced it to €400,000 p.a.
    Then , when he was bringing in a wage cut of 10% and the redundancies which i suspect hit grass root levels in a big way, he took a €40k reduction , leaving him on a paultry sum of €360k p.a. His official response to queries on on salary level was " sure I have turned down positions offering €500k per annum"

Do us a favour John & FCUK off to one of these offers.

yours

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

No he shouldn't
    That is probably one of the most one-sided poll I've seen on boards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

No he shouldn't
    johndelaneypubs1068540t.jpg

How could you not love this man?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Should he go? Yes. Will he go? No.

I doubt there's many who would walk if they were on similar money to him. I certainly wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

No he shouldn't
    Can anyone point out an initiative Delaney spearheaded that was done correctly and provided benefits for the FAI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

No he shouldn't
    Can anyone point out an initiative Delaney spearheaded that was done correctly and provided benefits for the FAI?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......................................no

There would be plenty of people who would do it for nothing and would do a better job, they would do it for the love of the game, but in reality surly 100k is more than enough for this job

Ok I'm out

the idea that some guy off the street could run the FAI for free is not worth debating

Oh and by the way I believe that 1/3 of your salary is more than enough for your job.

Ok I'm out

the idea that some guy off the street could run the FAI for free is not worth debating

On and by the way I believe that 1/3 of your salary is more than enough for your job.

Good post. That sort of argument is idiotic.

Same as someone else saying he should be on 75k per year. FFS, what CEO of a sizable organisation is on 75k?

Delaney may be overpaid, it seems like it when you do a comparison to other FAs, but saying Joe Bloggs would do a better job because "he loves the game" is ridiculous.

You could argue his role in appointing the last manager.

You could argue getting the national league more airtime. Didn't the FAI tell RTE that they showed MNS and x amount of LOI games or they weren't getting international games?

I asked earlier if soccer is losing numbers to other sports. Is there numbers to verify that?

Is there anything to show an improvement/deterioration in the standard of facilities since he took over?

Is there anything around coaching? From what I heard, anecdotally, the FAI, under Delaney, have improved coaching and brought in that Dutch lad to lead it. Do we have numbers on the amount of qualified coaches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

is there an alternative to him in this country at the moment?

FIFA is rotten to the core, organisations in other countries are too...football needs to change from the top down. putting another man in charge in Ireland, may not change anything.

would our standing over the past 2-4 years not be in line with our long term history and our population compared to other countries in Europe? i think we are are about 27th in terms of population, but the current co-efficient has us ranked at 16th in the football standings, being about 12th 18 months ago.

people over estimate our resources and always keep forgetting that soccer is fighting a constant battle with GAA and Hurling all over the country and Rugby in other parts.

GAA rules to roost in many parts of Ireland and this, more than anything is your main reason why our underage football is not developing on a par with others.
    I know love the man as he's bought you many pints, but what are your opinions on his tenure over the LoI?

FIFA is rotten to the core, organisations in other countries are too...football needs to change from the top down. putting another man in charge in Ireland, may not change anything.

you ignored me first time, so maybe an answer this time?

What are your opinions on John Delaney's tenure over the LoI?

Apparently there is guy who marks the pitch in some club in North Tipp is will do it, for free as well.

He drives a delivery van for a bread company but he could find the time to be CEO of the FAI at the same time

He loves the game

He will do a better job than Delaney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

No he shouldn't
    He shouldnt walk/resign. He should be fired. The FAI is all but bankrupt due to his financial mismanagement.

you ignored me first time, so maybe an answer this time?

What are your opinions on John Delaney's tenure over the LoI?

honestly, i think the majority of the failings lie with the clubs and their poor handling of finances but the FAI should have put steps in place to prevent that.

sure, the prize money is a joke and a few other things like the fines, but we are hearing the same 3 or 4 things for years. people go on about it like its soley the FAIs fault and him personally, but there is a real lack of acceptance that clubs are sometimes ran by absolute clowns.

we go on about how clubs went out of business...look at rangers and pompy for example, they were only able to survive due to their fan base, something that the likes of Monaghan and Kilkenny didnt have. a football club going out of business is not the blame of the org that runs it.

i know you despise the man, but can you give a neutral/constructive view of the LOI without blaming it all on them? surely you accept clubs have alot to answer for?

one thing i will say is the FAI have in recent years seen a big shift in facilities and coaching throughout Ireland at lesser levels. the fai junior competitions are booming, these clubs are getting more and more exposure and this is helping the development of the games all over the country.

im involved in a tournament for u-9s tomorrow morning, there will be almost 50 kids there. we will have 12 coaches, gear, kits, the lot. it wasnt like that when i was 9, we were given a ball and told to play away.

things are changing, things have changed - its not perfect but in a country thats fighting with a multi sport environment, its not as bad as you think.
    Anyone wrote: »
    He shouldnt walk/resign. He should be fired. The FAI is all but bankrupt due to his financial mismanagement.

are they? i though their debt is due to building a stadium that cost over €400million at a time when ireland ran itself into the ground and people dont have the cash needed to finance it? the day to day operations of the organisation is healthy enough i thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

No he shouldn't
    Apparently there is guy who marks the pitch in some club in North Tipp is will do it, for free as well.

He drives a delivery van for a bread company but he could find the time to be CEO of the FAI at the same time

He loves the game

He will do a better job than Delaney

No one should/would do it for free but Delaneys salary is excessive .
    Most of the FAI board are lads who have little or no experience of running a large organisation and got up through the local ranks over the years.Plenty of publicans and company reps on the board .
    How do you think Delaney got where he is today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

No he shouldn't
    Anyone wrote: »
    The FAI is all but bankrupt due to his financial mismanagement.

Yep, this is the reason why he should be out on his ear.

He has destroyed the FAI financially while pocketing a huge salary for himself.

He made a mess of the premium ticket sales (compare how the IRFU got their job done) and consistently lied to the media (and therefore the public) about ticket sales and availability of tickets for the redeveloped LR.

Interestingly, when asked recently about his huge salary he was quoted in the media about his "personal financial commitments". If he is under some sort of personal financial pressure then he should have left the FAI for one of those million euro a year jobs he was shiting on about. Both him and the FAI would be better off for it.

His hiding from legitimate questions from members of the media following the most recent AGM suggests there maybe a few things being kept out of public view.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Yep, this is the reason why he should be out on his ear.

He has destroyed the FAI financially while pocketing a huge salary for himself.

He made a mess of the premium ticket sales (compare how the IRFU got their job done) and consistently lied to the media (and therefore the public) about ticket sales and availability of tickets for the redeveloped LR.

lol, so its Delaneys fault the bottom fell out of the irish economy around the same time these went on sale? soccer is a working mans game, rugby isnt, the people who bought the Rugby seats did so at a time when the Grand slam was being won and Ireland were 3rd in the world. you cannot compare the two and to single out Delaney for this, is insane.

the only thing the FAI did wrong here was allow the government, the stadium and the IRFU to have so many corporate seats in the stadium, though in essense it doesnt make a difference, the seats would be empty anyway. irelands soccer capacity was always 33,000 for competitive games and the croke park years, which coincided with the biggest boom in the countries history, created a false impression.

do you have the figures of how the organistion is going over the last ten years, outside of stadium repayment costs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

No he shouldn't
    I wonder does he read boards.ie - 90% to GO !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

No he shouldn't
    lol, so its Delaneys fault the bottom fell out of the irish economy around the same time these went on sale? soccer is a working mans game, rugby isnt, the people who bought the Rugby seats did so at a time when the Grand slam was being won and Ireland were 3rd in the world. you cannot compare the two and to single out Delaney for this, is insane.

the only thing the FAI did wrong here was allow the government, the stadium and the IRFU to have so many corporate seats in the stadium, though in essense it doesnt make a difference, the seats would be empty anyway. irelands soccer capacity was always 33,000 for competitive games and the croke park years, which coincided with the biggest boom in the countries history, created a false impression.

do you have the figures of how the organistion is going over the last ten years, outside of stadium repayment costs?

Where did I blame Delaney for the collapse in the economy? That's right, I didn't, so why drag something I didn't say in to it? :rolleyes:

Delaney got the pricing of the corporate seats totally wrong. The blame for this lies squarely at his door.

The FAI's figures outside of the LR redevelopment? Doesn't matter. You can't pick and choose what figures you want to hear, and those you want to ignore.

And the capacity for Ireland's competitive games has not always been 33,000 as you claim. FAI use to regularly sell-out 48,000 at Lansdowne for qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

No he shouldn't
    The corporate seat deals were a joke , doesn't matter what sort of economic boom the country was in . They were way over priced and Delaney as chief executive has to take some of the blame.
    Football in this country needs a complete overhaul from top to bottom and no matter who is in charge it will be 10-15 years before the results show. Is John Delaney the man to do it ? I don't think he is but he ain't going anywhere soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

No he shouldn't
    DeanAustin wrote: »
    Good post. That sort of argument is idiotic.

Same as someone else saying he should be on 75k per year. FFS, what CEO of a sizable organisation is on 75k?

Delaney may be overpaid, it seems like it when you do a comparison to other FAs, but saying Joe Bloggs would do a better job because "he loves the game" is ridiculous.

There is no "may be" about it. He is overpaid.

He gets paid more than the Spanish and Italian counterparts combined.

The prize money for the entire League of Ireland isnt far over half of Delaney's yearly salary.

He does nothing to warrant that kind of money.

Advertisement