Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galaxy s4 on three

• 11-09-2013 5:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭

I purchased my factory unlocked galaxy s4 last month in eBay from the UK. This month i changed my sim card to three bill pay with unlimited Internet. When i turn on mobile data it says G instead of h+ (I'm in the middle of Dublin where everyone else has h+) . The only way I can get h+ is if i go to settings, search for networks and select three. Then my phone stays on h+ for about 3 hours then it does down g permanently until i repeat the process.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I have data roaming on. All my internet settings are entered perfectly.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

have the same problem on my s3 on Three. Pain in the ...

I'm going to try a sim swap if I can get to a three shop tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.
    Doublelime wrote: »
    I purchased my factory unlocked galaxy s4 last month in eBay from the UK. This month i changed my sim card to three bill pay with unlimited Internet. When i turn on mobile data it says G instead of h+ (I'm in the middle of Dublin where everyone else has h+) . The only way I can get h+ is if i go to settings, search for networks and select three. Then my phone stays on h+ for about 3 hours then it does down g permanently until i repeat the process.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I have data roaming on. All my internet settings are entered perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

The amount of folk that give out about this, easily, EASILY solved problem always astounds me. The three forum is always full of threads with folk complaining about this too.

I don't actually think three technical even know the remedy themselves tbh.

To make your device permanently stay on H+.

Settings> more networks> mobile networks> network mode> WCDMA only.

Your phone shouldn't ever go on to G So long as you've it set up like so.

There should be a sticky outlining this imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

banjo - thats all well and good until you go outside a 3g/h area and then your left with no data, whereas normally you would roam on vodafone.

Random wrote: »
    banjo - thats all well and good until you go outside a 3g/h area and then your left with no data, whereas normally you would roam on vodafone.

Hi Random.

Seriously. No kidding here, the job im in taking me all over the country. Its very rare that i get into an area with no coverage with 3.

Personally though. I prefer to have no data for that short time i do experience it, then go straight back on to H/H+ than be stuck on 'G' and resort to enabling air plane mode/various other methods suggested.

It really is something 3 should have sorted by this stage, and hopefully this venture with the o2 network will eliminate it completely. But i don't consider it a problem since enabling WCDMA only tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

The amount of folk that give out about this, easily, EASILY solved problem always astounds me. The three forum is always full of threads with folk complaining about this too.

I don't actually think three technical even know the remedy themselves tbh.

To make your device permanently stay on H+.

Settings> more networks> mobile networks> network mode> WCDMA only.

Your phone shouldn't ever go on to G So long as you've it set up like so.

There should be a sticky outlining this imo.

I was talking to three in the store and they recommend that i have wdcma/gsm on auto.

Will it fix the problem if i simply switch to 48 or another network? Also all my friends are in three and their phone works perfectly (nexus 4/ iphone)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭SlickTalker

I was talking to three in the store and they recommend that i have wdcma/gsm on auto.

Will it fix the problem if i simply switch to 48 or another network? Also all my friends are in three and their phone works perfectly (nexus 4/ iphone)

Try a sim change. I've an unlocked s4 on three and it works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

I'm with Banjo on this. Set the phone to WCDMA only. I had the exact same issue.

Switching to 48 would more or less mean you're on the o2 network , so as they don't have a roaming agreement with any other carrier (afaik) would mean you'd have either a 3G or H signal, or none. That could be great news, but possibly not dependent on where you most use the phone.

My opinion , im glad i ported to three tbh.

I spoke to someone on the networks side in Three - they thought this problem had been resolved months ago and were not aware that it was still causing problems. It will be back on the list of outstanding issues today. Hopefully will be fixed soon.

• Advertisement

elderlemon wrote: »
    I spoke to someone on the networks side in Three - they thought this problem had been resolved months ago and were not aware that it was still causing problems. It will be back on the list of outstanding issues today. Hopefully will be fixed soon.

This is a stock reply if you ask me. This has been the general response from three forever.

Actually it's not. This is not talking to customer services - this is talking to the people that meet every day to review service issues. This issue was not on their list and they were VERY surprised it was still happening.

This is a stock reply if you ask me. This has been the general response from three forever.

Quick questions - to anyone that has experience this problem. Are you using a number that was ported from another network and if what was that network?

is there anyone that didn't port across and is seeing the problem?

Actually it's not. This is not tang to customer services - this is talking to the people that meet every day to review service issues. This issue was not on their list and they were VERY surprised it was still happening.

Well as a little experiment, I switched my network mode to automatic mode for a while there, in Dublin.

In fonthill I had no data connection at all.

The minute I switched back to wdcma only, I immediately got out back on h+ so it's definitely not resolved.

Not having a go at three btw. I'm an extremely happy customer of theirs.

Quick questions - to anyone that has experience this problem. Are you using a number that was ported from another network and if what was that network?

is there anyone that didn't port across and is seeing the problem?

Yeah.

Ported from o2 in 09.

which handset?
    Yeah.

Ported from o2 in 09.

which handset?

Sgs4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Actually it's not. This is not talking to customer services - this is talking to the people that meet every day to review service issues. This issue was not on their list and they were VERY surprised it was still happening.

My arse. It's actually got significantly worse for me (Note 2) over the last few weeks, to the point where I'm considering leaving Three. However, thank you Banjo String - that fix seems to be working for me (although it's only been a day and I haven't been to any poor signal areas).

Advertisement