Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any food banks in North County Dublin?

Options
  • 11-09-2013 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

I tend to give my kitchen presses a thorough clean out about twice a year.

I've gathered up my usual suspects, excessive Tupperware type lunch boxes, selection of over promising and under delivering cleaning products and the aspirational kitchen gagets, neglected juicer, second hand sandwich toaster? etc. etc.

Anyways as usual I have a few odd tin cans and other grocery items, all perfectly stored, unopened and well in date (shortest expiration date is 4 months). Is there anywhere in North County Dublin that these can be donated to?

Also if I knew of a local food bank, I'd have no problem adding an extra fiver worth of goods to my weekly grocery shopping and donating these on a regular basis.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

As far as I know the only food bank in Ireland is in Portland Row in the city. Which is a pity - we could do with them all over. Your local St. Vincent de Paul might do food collections though, you could try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Technically there are no food banks compared to how it's run in the UK. The Capuchin Day Mission distributes food parcels once a week in Dublin City Centre. After that there is some EU food aid distributed by various charities across the Island. Cheese, rice & butter have gone out in the past fortnight.

My first port of call would be the local Meals-on-Wheels who may be able to accept the foodstuffs. The Lions Club & SVdeP will do food drives closer to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Merchants Quay project feed the needy daily -tiu could bring your food down there - the are based on the corner across from the city hall on that same side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Friends of autism and adhd had a basket last year as they where approached by two family's who where struggling for food.
    Ill ask for the basket to be out in the shop again, as it does be this time of year for some reason.
    The items are given to the family's free of charge of course.
    I know last year one family , father of two would not eat all day Thursday waiting to get his social welfare payment. The basket will be in skerries today from 2. It will be offered to the guy from last year and if anyone else needs help ring Katherine Moreland 018020484 or Bernie Hagen same number.leave yr name number and they will contact you . If you can't do this talk to the manager in the shop Breda Kelly skerries or Kelly Stoat clonard street Balbriggan.Friends will do all they can to help.
    Cathy .

Advertisement