Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live Eircom Line; No Modem

• 11-09-2013 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭

Bit of a strange one. Recently moved into a new place and have just discovered the old Eircom line is still being paid by the prev tenant. I've tried to get in touch but it seems they've emigrated. In any case they may have been locked into a contract and are just seeing it out.
    I assume then that this connection is live into my house however there is no box/modem/router attached. Is there anyway I can use this connection? I have an Apple Time capsule, could I use this as the "box"? Or do I need an Eircom box or password that presumably the previous tenant has?

I would ring Eircom and take over the line myself but I dont want to be tied into a contract myself. Currently have a dongle contract which isn't up for another 3 months and considering a UPC bundle after that.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You would need a dsl modem or a router with an integrated dsl modem to avail of Eircom's bb.

The apple does not have an integrated dsl modem.

You would also need the following settings for the modem:

Basic Modem Config:
    Username: eircom@eircom.net
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

dub45 wrote: »
    You would need a dsl modem or a router with an integrated dsl modem to avail of Eircom's bb.

The apple does not have an integrated dsl modem.

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated!

A couple of stupid questions to follow up with now;
    I have an old UPC modem lying around, would this work or are the standards different?
    Also to configure the set up I assume I connect my laptop to the modem and go through network configuration or equivalent?

Will give it a go this evening and see how I get on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

deadeye187, I've deleted a number of your off-topic posts,
    if you have an issue then start a thread and post in that, please don't go cross posting into other threads pulling them off-topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

No joy yet unfortunately.
    That UPC modem is a cable modem (obviously...d'oh) and I need a DSL as was pointed out. At least I'm learning!
    I think the folks at home may have an old one so ill see if I can borrow that this weekend and try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

You can follow my threads Shadowless. I don't blame him/her for leaving country...(Tracey new bill for same amount arrived yesterday, weeks after you promised to sort it out. Before you Alan said he'd sort it out. Before I went onto your Eircom section of boards i got the same treatment, passed from one department to another over the phone. Just wondering is this how Eircom treats unhappy customer, fob them off, tell them it will be alright and keep sending them bills. Is the plan to wait until some credit management company takes over in a few months? Leave the credit management company take over, then I can't talk to anybody from Eircom, it will be too late? I actually can't trust anybody working for Eircom anymore, I want an official letter saying that my bill has been cleared, before I'll trust anybody from this company. Customers with a problem are treated like crap and given the complete runaround. Not to mention hours wasted on phone and time dealing with technicians who are sent to 'fix' broadband problems.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

(I don't blame him or her for leaving country Shadowless...)Tracey new bill for same amount arrived yesterday, weeks after you promised to sort it out. Before you Alan said he'd sort it out. Before I went onto your Eircom section of boards i got the same treatment, passed from one department to another over the phone. Just wondering is this how Eircom treats unhappy customer, fob them off, tell them it will be alright and keep sending them bills. Is the plan to wait until some credit management company takes over in a few months? Leave the credit management company take over, then I can't talk to anybody from Eircom, it will be too late? I actually can't trust anybody working for Eircom anymore, I want an official letter saying that my bill has been cleared, before I'll trust anybody from this company. Customers with a problem are treated like crap and given the complete runaround. Not to mention hours wasted on phone and time dealing with technicians who are sent to 'fix' broadband problems.

Advertisement