Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...need help on....Help !!...(search query...)

Options
  • 11-09-2013 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if Feedback is the wrong place for this, so I'm happy to be routed to the correct place but............I've searched Help and even used Google to search boards.ie on how to use............the search box (no, really, I have... :o )

Basically, I always assumed it worked a particular way.......and I was wrong.

This evenings task was in a particular thread in Motors, in which I've posted several times. I was trying to find my posts, for linking to, elsewhere.

Now, easiest thing I thought is to type my username into the search box, which, as soon as you do so, starts to prompt the search box with some options, the most useful seeming to be 'search this thread for....', and so I select that. But the search returns no results.

This can't be right I assume, so I manually search, and on page 13 I find two contributions...........but not the ones I'm looking for. Actually, I still haven't and it's time to go home..............

I typed my name in again, and search all ' search boards.ie for (username).' and I get a plethora of results. Using menu on l.h.s I select 'month' as I know the post I'm looking for is inside that and...............nada. Well at least nada that makes any sense.

Am I missing a trick here ? I tried 'Help' and..........using the search function, or explaining how it works isn't listed............

TIA as they say for help/advice/pointers.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I can help. An ellipse is a series of three full stops.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If you're looking for your own posts, go to your profile, click on the statistics tab, and click the button that says Find All Posts by [your user-name]

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

If you're looking for all your replies in a thread, you can click on the number under replies on the main forum page. There should be a pop-up sort of box that'll show the posters in it by post number. Click on the number to the right of your name to show all your posts. Dunno if you can narrow it down beyond that though.

I think when you seach a thread, it'll just be for the content of a post rather than the poster, so your name could only show up if someone mentioned you in a post. I'm not certain of that though, I just think that's how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If you're looking for your own posts, go to your profile, click on the statistics tab, and click the button that says Find All Posts by [your user-name]

I know that. But not quite what I'm looking for. .

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Angron wrote: »
    If you're looking for all your replies in a thread, you can click on the number under replies on the main forum page. There should be a pop-up sort of box that'll show the posters in it by post number. Click on the number to the right of your name to show all your posts. Dunno if you can narrow it down beyond that though.

I think when you seach a thread, it'll just be for the content of a post rather than the poster, so your name could only show up if someone mentioned you in a post. I'm not certain of that though, I just think that's how it works.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Funny how search works isn't clear to Mods isn't it?

I mean what chance have us mortals so ? :)

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

To be fair, I was only made a mod recently :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

galwaytt wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll try that.

Funny how search works isn't clear to Mods isn't it?

I mean what chance have us mortals so ? :)

The Search Box isn't supposed to be used in the way you tried to use it. There's an option to "Search This Thread" on the new skin that would let you find your own posts quite easily.

OK. You're kinda bad at getting your message across, so I'll try and figure it out.

I think you're trying to get the posts that you have made? Is that correct?

If so, here's the ways you can do this:
    Go to the relevant thread and click on "Search This Thread" and then click "Advanced Search". You'll be brought to the search box. There type your name under Posted by User(s) and then press search. If you type it normally, it will just take it as a keyword in posts and bring you up anywhere that it is posted, i.e. if somebody mentions you in a post.

Another way is to go to the forum the post is on. There you'll see the headings Thread/Thread Starter, Rating, Last Post, Replies, and Views. Under Replies you'll see a number - this is clickable. If you click on it, it should cause a pop-up (depending on whether you're using a pop-up blocker, of course), that displays a whole list of those that have posted, with their usernames and how many posts they have within that thread. If you click on the number of posts, it will then show you all of them.

Of course I have absolutely no idea if this is what you were actually asking.

OK. You're kinda bad at getting your message across, so I'll try and figure it out.

I think you're trying to get the posts that you have made? Is that correct?

Correct - there again I thought my opening post spelt it out: "This evenings task was in a particular thread in Motors, in which I've posted several times. I was trying to find my posts, for linking to, elsewhere".

So, I was looking for my posts inside a particular thread (which had a lot of pages, so I was trying to avoid having to re-read 10+ pages)

If so, here's the ways you can do this:
    Go to the relevant thread and click on "Search This Thread" and then click "Advanced Search". You'll be brought to the search box. There type your name under Posted by User(s) and then press search. If you type it normally, it will just take it as a keyword in posts and bring you up anywhere that it is posted, i.e. if somebody mentions you in a post.
    Cool, works :)
    Another way is to go to the forum the post is on. There you'll see the headings Thread/Thread Starter, Rating, Last Post, Replies, and Views. Under Replies you'll see a number - this is clickable. If you click on it, it should cause a pop-up (depending on whether you're using a pop-up blocker, of course), that displays a whole list of those that have posted, with their usernames and how many posts they have within that thread. If you click on the number of posts, it will then show you all of them.
    Also cool - Got it, handy that.
    Of course I have absolutely no idea if this is what you were actually asking.

^^^^^ ;)

Armed with all the above however, I think everything is covered - thanks.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement