Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband on Telecom Eireann wall point

• 11-09-2013 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I'm looking to get broadband into my apartment, Sky said I need an eircom landline. (Jumping from UPC for multiple reasons)

There is an existing, but old, Telecom Eireann phone point here.
    See attached

Anyone know if such an thing can support broadband. Can you hook a wireless router to one of these things?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That's the same thing, the mother had a P&T socket in her house until last year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 slynchy1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That's the same thing, the mother had a P&T socket in her house until last year :)

Hi Colm, not meaning to be thick, but is that a yes? Will it work for sky?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

slynchy1 wrote: »
    Hi Colm, not meaning to be thick, but is that a yes? Will it work for sky?

Thanks
    Yes.

I may be wrong here but that socket seems to have a filter already built into it. (Not the yoke attached on, behind that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

When you ring Sky they will ask for your address and check the line.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

When you ring Sky they will ask for your address and check the line.

That wouldn't check for the telephone socket though. If you can hear a tone when you connect a phone to it (even if you're not paying line rental, it should be connected to the exchange). It should work fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 slynchy1

Thanks all for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭embereve

I have just switched to sky but can't get it to work!! Problem is I have phone watch and apparently (am a technophobe and don't understand the jargon) there's no micro filter in alarm box. Grrr..... I was told it would be easy. Had to give UPC a months notice so still have broadband but am paying on the double. Sky guys are v nice to deal with - unlike the other crowd - but I'm a bit frustrated at having to call phone watch and probably having to pay them to come out and fit a micro filter so I can give their competitors business.
    Rant over......for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

embereve wrote: »
    I have just switched to sky but can't get it to work!! Problem is I have phone watch and apparently (am a technophobe and don't understand the jargon) there's no micro filter in alarm box. Grrr..... I was told it would be easy. Had to give UPC a months notice so still have broadband but am paying on the double. Sky guys are v nice to deal with - unlike the other crowd - but I'm a bit frustrated at having to call phone watch and probably having to pay them to come out and fit a micro filter so I can give their competitors business.
    Rant over......for now

Phonewatch is no longer part of Eircom, they are owned by Sector Alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭embereve

Oh, great! Means I won't have to do the 'sorry I'm not with eircom bit'!
    Thanks for that!

Advertisement