Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Blacksod

Options
  • 11-09-2013 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

So anybody doing the Blacksod?

Was my first olympic distance race a number of years ago so I've a bit of a soft spot for it so going to start and end my season with that race ;)

Love the rolling cycling on pretty straight roads and the testing run course.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

As far as i know there is a good few on here doing it. Myself, Tunney, LCD, BTH, Fazz and a few others i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

As far as i know there is a good few on here doing it. Myself, Tunney, LCD, BTH, Fazz and a few others i think.

If its sunny: I'll be the fat lad trying to get into his wetsuit
    If its cold, wet, windy : I'll be the fat lad that Liam Dolan and a dwarf are trying to force into a wetsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

And I'll be the ginger guy you wont be able to see if I turn sideways.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Should be fun with a lot of boardies up there. If I spot any of you I'll be sure to offer lots of abuse encouragement .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

I've done this the last 3 years and love it, going to miss it this time around though :( Awesome course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Awesome race, I hope ur man with the shotgun is back this year

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

I'm in - have done this race the past 2 years, great one to end the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭kchsligo

I've signed up to do this one for the first time, heard it's a great event but what's this about a man with a shotgun? Hope it's not used to hurry us slow people up...

From the race briefing
    At the start competitors must be no more than waist depth in the water

Poor JB, he's going to be 100m down before the race even starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

BTH wrote: »
    From the race briefing

Crying here laughing..... :D:D

Ps - where is the sess after? Assume all in belmullet for off season session kick off?

• Advertisement

Fazz wrote: »
    Crying here laughing..... :D:D

Ps - where is the sess after? Assume all in belmullet for off season session kick off?

As far as I know the session is on Friday night. JB has been trying to get me to come for pints on Friday anyway. Himself Tunney and LCD are off elsewhere on Saturday to continue the stag and I haven't had much joy finding accommodation on the Saturday night either so I'm settled on the idea of the long drive back after the race. Pints in the city could happen Sat eve though.

PS: nothing less than a podium for you young Fazz.

From the race briefing

Thats it, pick on the small guy. Let's see how you race after a few pints the night before, you lightweight:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Jesus, why didn't you let us know it was Tunneys stag, we would have reserved a phone box for the party.

As far as I know the session is on Friday night. JB has been trying to get me to come for pints on Friday anyway. Himself Tunney and LCD are off elsewhere on Saturday to continue the stag and I haven't had much joy finding accommodation on the Saturday night either so I'm settled on the idea of the long drive back after the race. Pints in the city could happen Sat eve though.

PS: nothing less than a podium for you young Fazz.

Booze the nite before!! You dedicated to the session party sons of b1tches.

Think the hotel had space if you call - not sure.
    Bound to be some cancellations also around I'd say.
    - will be down the Sat nite anyway with a few others if you change plans.
    Must meet up the Fri evening anyway for a bit to catch up with all.

As for podium, I do feel legs coming around so will give it all I got.
    No idea of entry list but expect the fast Westside massive to be in no doubt as well! Sounds a great race so looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I hope the weather improves for the weekend. The West coast has been taking a battering of wind and rain since Saturday night. Winds have dropped thankfully.

pgibbo wrote: »
    I hope the weather improves for the weekend. The West coast has been taking a battering of wind and rain since Saturday night. Winds have dropped thankfully.

Just seen the weather forecast for Saturday, this will be challenging!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

seriously crummy weather out this direction lads.. the cycle will be fun.. i was going to go and watch ye suffering but the crappy weather is not enticing me ..

Rawhead wrote: »
    Jesus, why didn't you let us know it was Tunneys stag, we would have reserved a phone box for the party.

Since I'm back.....

Not my stag, LCDs. Had mine a few years ago in a phone box in London. Found loads of flyers for your ma.

Bike course video.

Surface looks very very ropey

https://vimeo.com/74908326

Bike course video.

I'd just be devastated if I got a puncture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Whats the rules on crossing the solid green line in the middle of the road?

Anyone going to blacksod with a spare one of these?

http://www.scientific-coaching.com/images/source/Spares/nob_xl_montiert.jpg

tunney wrote: »
    Anyone going to blacksod with a spare one of these?

http://www.scientific-coaching.com/images/source/Spares/nob_xl_montiert.jpg

found one. Unfortunately not found a tri suit to contain the belly #obscene

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Looked at the weather on Met.ie and right now they are projecting it to be pretty warm, about 14 degrees, a little drizzle at times and a tail wind on the outward leg of the bike.

We've all raced in a lot of worse weather than that.

Bike course video.

Enjoyed that thanks.

Absence has made you soft man....
    Roads look grand to me. Give it welly and we all try chase down Thornton.

Fazz wrote: »
    Enjoyed that thanks.

Absence has made you soft man....
    Roads look grand to me. Give it welly and we all try chase down Thornton.

I was always soft :pac:

To be fair, I'd only watched the first couple of minutes of the video when I made that comment. That surface along the dual-cabbageway is pretty dodgy, but the rest looks ok. Hopefully they've finished the resurfacing works.

As for chasing down Thornton, I'll leave that to guys like you who have done some training this year. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I was always soft :pac:

To be fair, I'd only watched the first couple of minutes of the video when I made that comment. That surface along the dual-cabbageway is pretty dodgy, but the rest looks ok. Hopefully they've finished the resurfacing works.

As for chasing down Thornton, I'll leave that to guys like you who have done some training this year. :D

Sandbagging of the highest order!!!!!

Jeez, KT has done a fair amount of racing this season. Good luck with hunting him down :D

Best of luck tomorrow folks. Glorious day here in Galway so I hope it's the same a little further west.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Briando wrote: »
    Looked at the weather on Met.ie and right now they are projecting it to be pretty warm, about 14 degrees, a little drizzle at times and a tail wind on the outward leg of the bike.

We've all raced in a lot of worse weather than that.

Have the arm warmers ready.

On my list to do. Enjoy, enjoy

Abhainn wrote: »
    Have the arm warmers ready.

On my list to do. Enjoy, enjoy

Bringing a windcheater, arm warmers, roubaix jacket and LS jersey, gloves and toe warmers. Just not sure what to expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

tunney wrote: »
    Bringing a windcheater, arm warmers, roubaix jacket and LS jersey, gloves and toe warmers. Just not sure what to expect.

272640.jpg

Advertisement