Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Blacksod

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

tunney wrote: »
    Bringing a windcheater, arm warmers, roubaix jacket and LS jersey, gloves and toe warmers. Just not sure what to expect.

You have plenty of natural insulation. :pac:
    Just the toe covers, arm warmers and gillet for me. Might wear a tri suit too. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

BTH wrote: »
    You have plenty of natural insulation. :pac:
    Just the toe covers, arm warmers and gillet for me. Might wear a tri suit too. :P

Least I can race in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Least I can race in the sun.

SH1T, knew I forgot something.

Anyone else pack suncream??

BTH wrote: »
    SH1T, knew I forgot something.

Anyone else pack suncream??

I could bring some from home if you need some? and if I wanted to :)

It is very fvcking windy here in Belmullet. Serious and seriouser gone for a run, nap in van I think....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Bet your surprised theres 3G coverage in the West

Bet your surprised theres 3G coverage in the West

Edge....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Fair play to Kilmore tri club for marking out the course clearly in advance.

Managed to get here with a bit of daylight left and a bit of course recce.

What a great course it is! Looking forward to tomorrow. Can see why it has a great rep, even if it is blooming miles away and further than lost sheep.
    Watch out for loose cattle on the run :)

Off to find rego now in a bit and hopefully bump into a few here.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Swim times seem faster than usual for 1.5km?

Course short maybe? Anybody with a Garmin measure it?

The wind was mostly against us on the swim leg so not gaining any(marginal) advantage from that, doubt there is much of a current going on there either but surprised at some of the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Briando wrote: »
    Swim times seem faster than usual for 1.5km?

Course short maybe? Anybody with a Garmin measure it?

The wind was mostly against us on the swim leg so not gaining any(marginal) advantage from that, doubt there is much of a current going on there either but surprised at some of the times.

I Clocked it at 1.35km.

Thornton and Harris swam 16:30 - so add another say 2:00 if 1.5km would be a near 18:30 min 1.5km swim which is about right with the chop against us for most of the cross section.
    The strong swimmers seem to gain a bit more in conditions like that relative to others due to experience/skills I imagine.
    The frustrating part is in conditions like that the fish can still hold their pace from the pool whereas I go backwards.

A lovely winter ahead for me in the pool :D

• Advertisement

Fazz wrote: »
    I Clocked it at 1.35km.

Thornton and Harris swam 16:30 - so add another say 2:00 if 1.5km would be a near 18:30 min 1.5km swim which is about right with the chop against us for most of the cross section.
    The strong swimmers seem to gain a bit more in conditions like that relative to others due to experience/skills I imagine.
    The frustrating part is in conditions like that the fish can still hold their pace from the pool whereas I go backwards.

A lovely winter ahead for me in the pool :D

Fran had it at 1.35 as well. I had it as 1.45 but given my lack of open water swimming that would be down to sighting. And jelly fish. No one mentioned the jelly fish.

Good race. Good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Arranmoreelw

A credit to Kilmore TrI Club for a great event ,fantastic value for money well worth the long drive .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

I think this race would be so much better if it was in the middle of the summer. Very kilkee like and worth the full weekend trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Fran had it at 1.35 as well. I had it as 1.45 but given my lack of open water swimming that would be down to sighting. And jelly fish. No one mentioned the jelly fish.

Good race. Good time.

A club mate got a nasty sting from a Jelly on his neck. Pictures looked nasty when I saw them on FB

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭kchsligo

Clocked the swim at 1.38k but that is long given my inability to swim straight combined with the amount of time I spent looking to avoid jellyfish as I'd gotten stung on the cheek & nose fairly early into things...

Bike course was advertised as 43k but thankfully I clocked that as closer to 40k - that wind on the way back in was heartbreaking.

Aside from the road surface on the early bike hill it was a nice event with a lovely meal afterwards.

Clocked it at 1.48km mainly to do with horrific sighting!

Good race, enjoyed it.

Pity about the drafting.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Great race : Clocked the swim at 1.38km with Jelly fish sting. (28mins)
    Bike was tough , I wasnt expecting the hill after 1.5km , misjudged the gradient and ground to a halt and had to walk 200m as I couldnt get back on the bike but thats my fault(felt like a tit too) . Very fast decent on bad roads (terrible spill from 1 female on the decent). Great spin into Belmullet but the return journey ... well thats another story,it was like been on a turbo at times , loads of spinning with minimal movement , the 5k between 30-35k seemed to go on for 45mins. I also seen a few drafting as they passed me on the way out as I was going into Belmullet , I think 1-2 were DSQ at the end over it which is right .(1.24 on the bike)
    Run was tough but for me it was always going to be , cramped on the downhill after 3k but was fine after that. (55mins) Very well organised by Kilmore , clear information , clear race briefing , well marshalled and a great spread afterwards . Nice location but I think there is a small section of road that should be reviewed for safety.
    It felt more like Blackdeath than Blacksod at times but I will definatley will be back next year with a little more specific training in the legs .

Advertisement