Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC downgrade?

• 11-09-2013 8:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭

Is there a charge? got a letter saying the charge on 100mb is going up 2 euro from next month which will bring it to around the 50 a month mark.....for what I need it for I really can't justify paying that amount ....doubt I'd even notice the difference on 50mb( saving 120 euro for the year)

do you need to ring up to downgrade? in the letter it says 30 days from date to cancel or downgrade so assume that means no charge on it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

You should enquire here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

You should be able to, you pay 6-7 euro less if I am correct

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

There should be no charge to downgrade if you do it within 30days.

Alternatively you could cancel account and sign up a different household member and available of the various offers going. (6 months discounted price etc)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

You should be able to, you pay 6-7 euro less if I am correct

10 euro difference which all adds up

started out on 25mb and moved up to 50 then 100 through "free" upgrades...If I'm honest I don't see the the difference from 25 to the 100 I'm now on (for what I need it for)

impression.php?i=%7BB9A8F0ED-1703-4CE3-8374-0C2503E66374%7D&c=overlay&lm=1378931564932

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

I got horizon 150 Mbps thinking I was the dogs tail until I did speed test and got 43 Mbps download speed ! So on to UPC I go and was told oh no no you silly person you don't really get 150 Mbps but you can get close ish if you use the yellow cable plug it into your laptop and the horizon box and you should get 60 ish Mbps maybe kinda sorta ish there a bouts ? So if my daughter or son need to use it they must connect the cable to the box in sitting room to get fast ish Internet !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Quoted speeds refer to wired connections. Wireless speeds almost never attain maximum throughput.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I got horizon 150 Mbps thinking I was the dogs tail until I did speed test and got 43 Mbps download speed ! So on to UPC I go and was told oh no no you silly person you don't really get 150 Mbps but you can get close ish if you use the yellow cable plug it into your laptop and the horizon box and you should get 60 ish Mbps maybe kinda sorta ish there a bouts ? So if my daughter or son need to use it they must connect the cable to the box in sitting room to get fast ish Internet !

That sucks. I get 154Mb with my Horizon box through a 20 metre ethernet cable linked to my PC in my office. Speedtest.net isn't always accurate so I'd recommend using UPC's own Speed Test

I can attain a download speed of 19.4MB per second then when downloading a file from a good server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Over a cable you should get the full 150, unless its a very old PC that doesnt do gigabit.

Get a wireless N 300Mbp access point if you want to reach ~100Mbs real world over wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

ED E wrote: »
    Over a cable you should get the full 150, unless its a very old PC that doesnt do gigabit.

Get a wireless N 300Mbp access point if you want to reach ~100Mbs real world over wifi.

For the new cablemodem\router that they give out when you upgrade to 50Mb guys, is this running at N speeds? Is the range better then the older modem\router?

Cheers,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    For the new cablemodem\router that they give out when you upgrade to 50Mb guys, is this running at N speeds? Is the range better then the older modem\router?

Cheers,
    M

If you get a 3925, no, its a pile of junk. If its the thompson one I dont know, and if its Horizon you should do AFAIK, but burying it under your tv isnt the best for signal strength ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

If you get a 3925, no, its a pile of junk. If its the thompson one I dont know, and if its Horizon you should do AFAIK, but burying it under your tv isnt the best for signal strength ^^

OK mate, they attempted delivery today but the DID driver was an absolute fool and highly unprofessional so now I have to wait until at least Monday to get it :-( I hope it's the Thompson one, which one do you have?

Cheers,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    OK mate, they attempted delivery today but the DID driver was an absolute fool and highly unprofessional so now I have to wait until at least Monday to get it :-( I hope it's the Thompson one, which one do you have?

Cheers,
    M

Think you mean DPD.

I have the 3925 but its bridged over to a WNDR3800 so it doesnt actually do much, its working as a cable modem only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

A lot of people not that impressed with the Technicolor either.

I find it ok. The wifi is slightly worse/more likely to drop in an out further from the modem.

I was getting well over my stated speeds @ 25/2.5 and now I'm getting less than stated on the 50/5 which is a bit disappointing but nothing major.

Advertisement