Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5C v 5S

• 11-09-2013 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭

rwqr.png

Would anyone consider buying an iPhone 5C based on this (German) pricing 90 votes

Not a chance you are having a laugh
    0% 0 votes
    Yes I love colourful plastic
    100% 90 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

They're certainly a lot closer in price then anticipated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

599 is ridiculous for what is basically last years phone in a plastic case now with some colour. Should of been around the 450 mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭ffocused

i think the ladies will love the 5C. I expect my wife will get one when her contract is up in November. She is currently using my old iPhone 5.
    (I jumped ship to Android & got a HTC One). I will wait until next year for the bigger iPhone myself & then return to Apple!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Was all set to buy it (as I tend to drop my phones a lot and plastic won't damage as much), but no way for that price. Think I'll just buy the 4S, I prefer their shape anyway. Wish I hadn't waited for the new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dorro6391

I really see no point in buying a 5c when they are this close in price.... 100 euro extra for better build materials, better camera, fingerprint scanner, faster processor, improved gpu etc.

Who in their right mind would buy a 5c to save only 100 euro?? 5s seems like better bang for buck...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You could ask the same question of people who have been buying the 4S for the last year. Not everyone needs or wants the latest and greatest specs or features. A tough plastic enclosure in different colours is a big selling point. Many people will happily choose it over the 5s.

Everyone is seriously underestimating the appeal of the 5c. I expect it will eventually become Apple's best selling iPhone. This is another instance of Apple bravely canabalising sales of one of their flagship products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

This is another instance of Apple bravely canabalising sales of one of their flagship products.

Not really the case given the 5s.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Not really the case given the 5s.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

Why?

I think if they were canabalising sales of their flagship product they'd do something like the 5c without the safety net of having the 5s - the iPhone everybody's been using up to now, basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I think the 5c is aimed more at the subsidised market rather than buying it outright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

username?! wrote: »
    599 is ridiculous for what is basically last years phone in a plastic case now with some colour. Should of been around the 450 mark.

They had the 4S up there for €579 for quite some time after the iPhone 5 came out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

ffocused wrote: »
    i think the ladies will love the 5C. I expect my wife will get one when her contract is up in November. She is currently using my old iPhone 5.
    (I jumped ship to Android & got a HTC One). I will wait until next year for the bigger iPhone myself & then return to Apple!

Sorry I don't get this, so you think she'll change from one phone (5) to exactly the same phone -but- with a plastic housing (the 5c, which is an iPhone 5 spec wise). I don't see the point tbh. If she would be upgrading from any other phone than the 5 I could understand, but this not really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

flyguy wrote: »
    Sorry I don't get this, so you think she'll change from one phone (5) to exactly the same phone -but- with a plastic housing (the 5c, which is an iPhone 5 spec wise). I don't see the point tbh. If she would be upgrading from any other phone than the 5 I could understand, but this not really...

Speaking as a lady myself. I have to agree. The 5 and 5c are pretty much the exact same phone. Why change if you want a new colour get a new case.
    Personally metal versus plastic is a no brainer. I never got a cover for my phone and it has had loads of falls and the phone still looks great. The back and screen are scratch free even though my 4 year old gets to play with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭kitnan

I think the 5c is aimed at a non iPhone user audience, iPhone 5 users would be silly to upgrade to a 5c for the sake of colour preference, unless you're completely not bothered about specs and like an impluse buy every now and again lol

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭tubbs26

I think people are seriously underestimating the amount of people who will buy and iphone 5c on contract.

My wife is due an upgrade soon from her iphone 4. All she wants is a decent smartphone and prefers iphones because she used to them.

If the price plan is say €10 cheaper a month or the up front price is cheaper then she'll jump at it. The difference in spec mean nothing to her. This is woman in her 30's not a teenager. I think there is a sizable market of these type of people

tubbs26 wrote: »
    I think people are seriously underestimating the amount of people who will buy and iphone 5c on contract.

My wife is due an upgrade soon from her iphone 4. All she wants is a decent smartphone and prefers iphones because she used to them.

If the price plan is say €10 cheaper a month or the up front price is cheaper then she'll jump at it. The difference in spec mean nothing to her. This is woman in her 30's not a teenager. I think there is a sizable market of these type of people

That's true too, I know I did say that the 5c is aimed at a non iPhone user audience, but you're right, a lot of people coming up from a 4/4s will probably go for a 5c. I'm interested to see what way price plans for contracts play out on the two new devices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

So basically we are in agreement the 5c is being aimed at idiots at its current sim free pricepoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

mdwexford wrote: »
    So basically we are in agreement the 5c is being aimed at idiots at its current sim free pricepoint.

A lot of idiots who care more about having a relatively compact phone that has a simple and easy to use Interface and fashionable.

I have a 4s and have been waiting for the 5s. Price is not an issue for me and I am still tempted by the 5c coloured versions. I'll go for the 5s for fingerprint security in the end but I can see attraction.

Spec/Price does not equal good user experiance. That's what a sizable portion of the market want.

I suspect Apple may make a killing on this if their very deliberate strategy works.

Well yes, I don't think it's sensible to go and buy it outright, personally i think you're mad if you throw that amount of money at any device that's not a laptop/desktop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

kitnan wrote: »
    Well yes, I don't think it's sensible to go and buy it outright, personally i think you're mad if you throw that amount of money at any device that's not a laptop/desktop

even though its a device you'll use for hours on end every day and at least hang onto it for about 2 years or so before upgrading?
    Most outright buyers of the iphone tend to hold onto them longer.
    So say a €1 a day if you used it for 2 years? well worth imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

micosoft wrote: »
    A lot of idiots who care more about having a relatively compact phone that has a simple and easy to use Interface and fashionable.

I have a 4s and have been waiting for the 5s. Price is not an issue for me and I am still tempted by the 5c coloured versions. I'll go for the 5s for fingerprint security in the end but I can see attraction.

Spec/Price does not equal good user experiance. That's what a sizable portion of the market want.

I suspect Apple may make a killing on this if their very deliberate strategy works.

Anyone who would rather a colour to a much superior better built device is a bit of an idiot imo. 5s is obviously the way to go.

I dont doubt they will sell by the bucketload, I also dont doubt most people who will buy them are a bit simple.
    kitnan wrote: »

Well I paid 480 recently for my iPhone 5 but now I can go with whatever network has the best deal at the time rather than sign a crap two year contract.

It is expensive but as above I use it a hell of a lot and it will do me until the 6 comes out or something else next year.

Blazer wrote: »
    even though its a device you'll use for hours on end every day and at least hang onto it for about 2 years or so before upgrading?
    Most outright buyers of the iphone tend to hold onto them longer.
    So say a €1 a day if you used it for 2 years? well worth imo

That's a point I didn't think of...lol, I spend more than that on lunch everyday...when you look at it like that it doesn't sound so bad
    Well I paid 480 recently for my iPhone 5 but now I can go with whatever network has the best deal at the time rather than sign a crap two year contract.

It is expensive but as above I use it a hell of a lot and it will do me until the 6 comes out or something else next year.

You make a fair point about the contracts too, I've another 6 months left of my 24 month contract...LAST.TIME.I.EVER.DO.THAT

Advertisement