Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residual radiation in property??

Options
  • 11-09-2013 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My friend has just put an offer in on a house that used to be used as an X-ray clinic. In the 2 front rooms of the house there were apparently 2 very large X-ray machines which have now obviously been taken out. The clinic has been used as a living residence for the past couple of years.

My friend is now worried that there may be some residual radiation or residual materials in the building (walls, rooms etc) where the X-rays were carried out or when the machines were removed.

I was just wondering if there is anyone who has any experience of this or would know anything about these machines and if the properties are completely safe to live in once decommissioned? I really don't have a clue about radiography or radiology so any advise would be appreciated.

Mods... I hope this is in the right forum... Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I believe xrays are electromagnetic rather than particle radiation.
    This means they are the same type of radiation as light beams, uv etc.
    Once they pass through something, they go along their merry way.

That's what I remember from physics in school about 20 years ago, so maybe someone with more up to date knowledge can supply more.

I woul think that there would maybe be other things to consider in that house, like it being possibly lead lined? No phone signal, difficult to drill holes in walls, that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You are likely to know *someone* with access to a geiger counter. Seriously. They're quite cheap and there's a fair few jobs where you might have one. Secondary teachers, anyone who installs medical equipment, those kind of jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

or if you know anyone in the Civil Defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

MYOB wrote: »
    You are likely to know *someone* with access to a geiger counter. Seriously. They're quite cheap and there's a fair few jobs where you might have one. Secondary teachers, anyone who installs medical equipment, those kind of jobs.

Hi, thanks for reply. Do uou have any idea where in Dublin one could buy a Geiger? Buying online could take anything between 1-2 weeks. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Those machines would have had to have licenced by the RPII. You could always give then a call and ask for their advice...

D.

• Advertisement

dazberry wrote: »
    Those machines would have had to have licenced by the RPII. You could always give then a call and ask for their advice...

D.

Ah thanks a million Dazberry, I didn't even know this existed! Just rang them there and waiting for a callback. Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Forget about it. There's no radioactive material in an xray machine. It's not how they work. As soon as the machine is turned off, there is no more radiation produced.

Worrying about a former xray machine is like worrying that the house has been exposed to sun light.

Hi all, thanks a million for the replies. Just received a call from the RPII and they pretty much have said what some of ye said. They said once the machines are gone there really is no risk. They were really helpful and are also ringing my friend as we speak to explain everything to her. Thanks again!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Who knew there was so much knowledge on here obout X rays:D
    Interesting reading

Advertisement