Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burton: Country in 'recovery mode' following dramatic fall on Live Register

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

jank wrote: »
    This is the PS we are talking about, they probably have 'official' stats ready for Q1 2014. Has the department of finance ever forecasted a budget correctly for example?

It is the OECD we are talking about, a public service based in France, surely it can get its statistics out efficiently?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Godge wrote: »
    A new ill-informed pronouncement. What evidence do you have for the public service pension liability (given that there has been no official research since 2008 which is now completely out of date given the stupid assumptions it contained.)

The OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development) recently estimated that the shortfall in the social welfare pensions budget will amount to €324bn by 2066.

In 2008, the Comptroller and Auditor General estimated the scale of pension liabilities in respect of public sector pensions at €108bn.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/pensions-minister-key-to-tackling-timebomb-29482656.html

A 2009 ill-informed blog rant. Can I remind you what I asked for?

By all means poke holes in his theory but I doubt anyone who is serious would claim Constantin Gurdgiev just goes on an ill-informed rant on his blog.
    Yes, I asked for some 2013 information, and yes some official OECD 2013 information as that is what you alluded to when you first posted. Not able to find it? I am not surprised.

Hard to get 2013 when the year isn't even up yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

As a tax payer (yes even in Australia I pay Irish tax on some income) I think one has the right to question the value for money one gets with the PS. Especially when we have no choice other than jail to pay it.

So eventhough you're in australia you're an expert on the comings and goings of the irish public sector?

That's a laugh...i bet what happened is you applied for a PS job and werent deemed good enough so you moved to australia and have had a bee in your bonnet ever since.

This forum is called the "irish economy"...it's not called the "bitter musings of somebody who had to move overseas to find a job".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

By all means poke holes in his theory but I doubt anyone who is serious would claim Constantin Gurdgiev just goes on an ill-informed rant on his blog.

Lots of people who are serious would claim Constantin Gurdgiev goes on ill-informed rants.

He is one of the group of economists who predicted the economy's collapse and imminent exit from the euro while defaulting on our debt at least 20 times. You probably missed those series of blog posts and newspaper articles when you were in Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

He is one of the group of economists who predicted the economy's collapse and imminent exit from the euro while defaulting on our debt at least 20 times. You probably missed those series of blog posts and newspaper articles when you were in Australia.
    wasn't he saying this is what we should have done, rather than would do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Judging by posters on this thread Labour are once again being blamed for Fine Gael decisions.

Would love if they had went into opposition, they'd have 35% popularity at least I'd reckon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Lots of people who are serious would claim Constantin Gurdgiev goes on ill-informed rants.

Yet, you have not given one opinon or remarked on anything to debunk the actual blog post I posted to support my own claim that the PS is overpaid in relations to the Private Sector.

Instead of looking at the data and finding holes in it, one goes off on and smears the character of the author rather then debate the key points and findings.

And again, I fail to see where I currently live now has to do with anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Yet, you have not given one opinon or remarked on anything to debunk the actual blog post I posted to support my own claim that the PS is overpaid in relations to the Private Sector.

Instead of looking at the data and finding holes in it, one goes off on and smears the character of the author rather then debate the key points and findings.

You posted a link to a blog from 2009, based on figures from 2007.

So I think you should explain why you want to have a discussion based on 6-year old data? Sure, 2013 data may not be available yet, but are you seriously saying that what you linked to should form the basis of a debate now...

As for New Zealand, which you make sound like the land of milk and honey, my sister-in-law in NZ was on Skype to my wife earlier - she's been working in a hospital there for the last 3 months. She said she has never seen anything like the level of absenteeism where she is working, from the native, permanent & pensionable employees. (No doubt you'll be able to tell us about some kind of virus that an Irish PS worker introduced into the NZ PS that's causing this bizarre and most un-NZ like behaviour....!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Idbatterim wrote: »
    wasn't he saying this is what we should have done, rather than would do?

He was so confident that Ireland would go bust and take the Euro with it that he set up a Swiss company (along with Declan Ganley) to take advantage of the expected mess.

But then he was basing his beliefs on his experiences of the Russian defaults of the late 90s, without realising that it was a very different scenario.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

You know this thread is about a statement about the recovery or otherwise of the Irish economy?

A "blog post" is not statistical evidence either...

Why have you derailed it with a nonsensical rant about the Irish PS when you live abroad?

• Advertisement
Advertisement