Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Electronics in Ireland

• 11-09-2013 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hello all, hopefully this is a decent forum to post this..

We may be moving to Ireland and I've been doing some inventory around the house to see what I'd take and what I'd leave/sell/store etc.

I pretty much understand the voltage/Hz difference, and I kind of understand the adapter/transformer situation.

I guess my main question is: are these transformers effective for things like TV's, dvd players, etc.?

I have a pretty sizeable record collection with a really nice turntable, that I'd hate to leave behind. Do I run the risk of ruining these electronics using a transformer or adapter?

Thanks!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

If you buy a decent converter you will be fine. They can be very expensive and heavy for a good one.

Apart from the turntable most recent kit will be dual voltage so not much of an issue for you except for the plug adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭TheBrewMeister

copacetic wrote: »
    If you buy a decent converter you will be fine. They can be very expensive and heavy for a good one.

Apart from the turntable most recent kit will be dual voltage so not much of an issue for you except for the plug adapter.

The TV is pretty new, but it's not dual voltage. I've heard that transformers only change the voltage and not the Hz, so it could wreck the tv after a time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Transformers don't change the Hz.

Most equipment can take 50/60Hz but check the back !

some equipment will have a 110/220V switch. you MUST set the switch correctly before plugging in over here or it will be fried.

We have always used a different TV system to the US the Hz.

If your TV has SCART / HDMI fine for external devices, but don't expect to pick up anything off an aerial. We use DVB-T

DVD player - we are in a different region so you'd probably need to buy a new player here for new DVD's.

If you have a computer VLC doesn't care about regions when it plays.

if the turntable is synched to the mains (analog clocks too) then the 50Hz will mean it will run slow, if your record player has 4 sets of rings on the turntable for the strobe light to synch with that's a good sign , but check

check www.adverts.ie for prices for buying secondhand kit here , some stuff can be replaced for less that it might cost to ship

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭TheBrewMeister

Transformers don't change the Hz.

Most equipment can take 50/60Hz but check the back !

some equipment will have a 110/220V switch. you MUST set the switch correctly before plugging in over here or it will be fried.

We have always used a different TV system to the US the Hz.

If your TV has SCART / HDMI fine for external devices, but don't expect to pick up anything off an aerial. We use DVB-T

DVD player - we are in a different region so you'd probably need to buy a new player here for new DVD's.

If you have a computer VLC doesn't care about regions when it plays.

if the turntable is synched to the mains (analog clocks too) then the 50Hz will mean it will run slow, if your record player has 4 sets of rings on the turntable for the strobe light to synch with that's a good sign , but check

check www.adverts.ie for prices for buying secondhand kit here , some stuff can be replaced for less that it might cost to ship

aye. Roger that capt. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You need a transformer capable of handling the power. Some new 60" TVs might only be 125W or so, but then in another forum someone wanted a sound system which was 1030W at its max, so would have needed a big horrible expensive one to run it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement