Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Breaking Waters

Options
  • 11-09-2013 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi
    Im on my 2nd baby and had an emergency c-section on my first.
    Im attending Portiuncla hospital.
    Im 40 weeks today and at app Doc says come back in a week to see if we can break waters.
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me from experience what happens?
    Will he/they only break waters if Im a bit dilated?
    Will they do a sweep first?
    Will I definitely go into labour soon after?
    Is there a possibility I won`t actually go into labour and have to have a c-section after 24hrs?
    If I don`t go into labour will there be any other interventions?
    I`ll be 10 days over on saturday 21st but would I be able to hold off til the Monday(12 days over) just in case of staff shortages on a weekend?
    I`m sure the Doc said some of this info but it went in one ear and out the other once he mentioned breaking my waters...
    :o
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I had a section with my first as was breech. Attempted VBAC on second - he let me go til 12 days over - attempted sweep at 39,40 and 41 weeks but was impossible as I was so unfavourable. On the morning of 12 days over he said if I was any bit dilated he would break my waters in the hope of a natural birth. Went in - no change still totally unfavourable so had to have section that day as 12 was all he would condone! I was disappointed and emotionally worn after the 12 days but knew I had done my best! There's no more they can do to induce you if attempting VBAC. So I'd imagine if had managed to break waters and no progress it eod result in section but if your favourable it would hopefully be successful!
    It's so tough and hard going - I cried every second day I went over!!! Like clockwork!
    I wish I had a natural birth but looking at my gorgeous baba it's so irrelevant as their health and safe arrival is all that matters!
    Wish you every luck and a safe delivery whichever way it ends up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Fri.Day wrote: »
    Hi
    Im 40 weeks today and at app Doc says come back in a week to see if we can break waters.
    Will he/they only break waters if Im a bit dilated? If you're favourable they will break your waters, so short, soft cervix. I don't think you have to be dilated

Will they do a sweep first? Some doctors don't do sweeps, I reckon you should have been offered one today if that was the case.

Will I definitely go into labour soon after? There's no guarantee's... On my first I was induced and they broke my waters first and an hour later they put me on oxytocin but because you've had a previous c section I'm not sure they use it because of your c section scar. I was told that if I went over on my second that it'd be an automatic c section if I did not go into labour myself, no breaking waters, nothing.

Is there a possibility I won`t actually go into labour and have to have a c-section after 24hrs? Yes.

If I don`t go into labour will there be any other interventions? Probably not, they can't use synthetic hormones because it can contribute to scar rupture.

I`ll be 10 days over on saturday 21st but would I be able to hold off til the Monday(12 days over) just in case of staff shortages on a weekend? You'll have to ring and ask your doctor/midwife that question.

I`m sure the Doc said some of this info but it went in one ear and out the other once he mentioned breaking my waters...
    Thanks

Obviously I'm not a medical professional but this is what I was told on my consultant on my second birth after my first being an emergency c section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

January wrote: »
    Obviously I'm not a medical professional but this is what I was told on my consultant on my second birth after my first being an emergency c section.

Yeah I was told no other interventions due to pressure on scar from artificially strong contractions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

They tried to break my waters when my labour appeared to be stuck for a while.

They use an amniotic hook. It looks a bit like a crochet hook. You don't feel it at all.

For me, it did nothing except give the baby a small cut on her head. All the fluid was stuck behind her.

For someof my friends though it got things going.

pwurple wrote: »
    They tried to break my waters when my labour appeared to be stuck for a while.

They use an amniotic hook. It looks a bit like a crochet hook. You don't feel it at all.

For me, it did nothing except give the baby a small cut on her head. All the fluid was stuck behind her.

For someof my friends though it got things going.

I felt it! Both times. Horrible sensation and terribly painful...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

January wrote: »
    I felt it! Both times. Horrible sensation and terribly painful...

Oh! Maybe they did it all wrong for me and that's why it didn't work!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I just remember saying to her, "ah Jesus, why did you show it to me?!"

It's wasn't as awful as the sweep though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Dont they try and soften the cervix with gels before breaking the waters? Surely there's not much point breaking them unless the cervix is softened? Thats marching you straight into amothet section, I would have thought?

With me they tried inducing labour with 3 rounds of gel and then broke the waters. But I was 4 weeks eearly and nowhere near ready so maybe thats why they went that route.

It is for sure uncomfortable. ..I didnt see the hook...I do remember the tea lady pulling back the curtain to see what I wanted for dinner though!

I didn't go into labour straight away...but I know people who have. But if you dont go into labour within 24 hours they will induce you. Some hospitals use oxytocin if you've had a previous section, some dont...they told me in holles st on my second they would have used it on me despite the previous section, but baby went into distress so they went for another section.

Well if the cervix is favourable, they'll just break waters... unfortunately they can't use the gel when there was a previous c section because it can contribute to scar rupture.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Fri.Day wrote: »
    Hi

Will he/they only break waters if Im a bit dilated?

Generally yes if your baby's head is well engaged and your cervix is favourable.

Will they do a sweep first? Sometimes. If you are favourable for a sweep

Will I definitely go into labour soon after?
    Is there a possibility I won`t actually go into labour and have to have a c-section after 24hrs?
    Unfortunately there are no guarantees.

If I don`t go into labour will there be any other interventions?

Some hospitals use synthetic oxytocin for VBAC - it is not contraindicated for VBAC but does increase the risk of scar separation. Prostaglandin gel is definitely contraindicated but continues to be used in certain hospitals for VBAC mums.

I`ll be 10 days over on saturday 21st but would I be able to hold off til the Monday(12 days over) just in case of staff shortages on a weekend?

Yes - you can ask for more time. There is only poor quality evidence to suggest VBAC mums must give birth before 42 weeks.

Thanks

Hope baby has arrived by now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

Thanks for sharing ladies, I'm still waiting and when ive my app. wed im gonna let them know ill hold off til monday. Hopefully i go myself before then. I dont mind another section but i want the best chance at a VBAC
    I could still go into labour in the next few days and still have a section so we'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Hope things happen for you soon. If you do choose the induction you can always have a discussion about having more time after the waters are released (and potentially having antibiotics) to give you a better chance at vbac. Interestingly the US ACOG guidelines say going past 40 weeks should not preclude a mum from VBAC. With our section rate being around 30% nationally you've as good a chance as any first time mum!

I would love to see a more open discussion happening with HCPs when it comes to VBAC in Ireland. Although we now have national guidelines there seems to be a lack of truly informed decision making happening of the pros/cons of VBAC as well as elective caesarean and ultimately the downstream impact of multiple caesareans on future pregnancies and the impacts on mum & baby's health.

Advertisement