Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RJ45 connection

Options
  • 11-09-2013 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

I had to run a new cable in my house & tested the cable before hand after connecting my own RJ45s onto each end. All good. 150MBps.

After running the cable I had to cut off the RJ45s to get the cable through drilled holes.

Now after putting on new RJ45s the network is much slower. Only 9MBps.

Anyway my question is if there was a bad connection in one of the RJ45s would I still get a connection to the router or would I just get nothing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Update:
    Changed one of the RJ45 connectors got up to 85MBps
    Changed the other but still on 85MBps

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What kind of cable are you using and how are you testing the throughput?

TheChizler wrote: »
    What kind of cable are you using and how are you testing the throughput?

CAT5e
    Using http://speedtest.upc.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

frash wrote: »
    You'd be better off going into the connection properties tab and seeing what it has determined the connection is set at, 10/100/1000baseT etc. online speed tests can vary greatly and will never tell you what your internal network is capable of.

Edit: actually this mightn't work, I have no idea if all hardware tests the cable capabilities or not, I have a switch that does so that's what I'm used to.

Best use one of the many LAN speed test programs out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Use a program called Iperf to measure the throughput.

• Advertisement

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Use a program called Iperf to measure the throughput.

Thanks - will look into it

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

does the nic on each pc support gigabit ethernet?

85mb is about right for a 100mb/s nic

also does the modem have all gigabit ports or just one gbe port?

if the pc doesnt have a gigabit nic 85mb is about the most it will get on cat5e

when yo refitted the rj45s did you keep the twist in the cable and does the cable go through any sharp bends or adjacent to metal?

does the nic on each pc support gigabit ethernet?

85mb is about right for a 100mb/s nic

also does the modem have all gigabit ports or just one gbe port?

if the pc doesnt have a gigabit nic 85mb is about the most it will get on cat5e

both PC has a gigabit card
    it was doing 150mbps when I first tested the cable

when yo refitted the rj45s did you keep the twist in the cable and does the cable go through any sharp bends or adjacent to metal?

no sharp bends but I do have it running down an old metal drain pipe

should have said before now but I'm using an external grade CAT5e cable
    presume that just means it has extra insulation or whatever for external use.

Basically it's going out the front of my house, up a drain pipe, over the top & down the other side to the back of the house.

Homeplugs just weren't cutting it

• Advertisement

Did you get the 150MBps before or after you ran the cable through the drain pipes?
    I suspect that the drain pipe is attenuating the signal, external grade just says that it will survive adverse weather rather than constant immersion in water.
    You may be better off removing it from the drain pipe and finding another route for it.

Did you get the 150MBps before or after you ran the cable through the drain pipes?
    I suspect that the drain pipe is attenuating the signal, external grade just says that it will survive adverse weather rather than constant immersion in water.
    You may be better off removing it from the drain pipe and finding another route for it.

Hi.
    I got the 150MBps just when running it from the router to the PC all in-doors.

It's not inside the drain pipe but just attached to the outside of it with cable ties so no water immersion going on.

It's an old metal drain pipe though so maybe that could be the problem? :confused:

Advertisement