Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Ok, today at about 2.30pm there was white UPC van parked outside the Council compound today at Woodlands while there was about 6 or 7 rail workers digging around on the train line beside the Pizza van location. I'm putting two and two together again....could be the beginning of something beautiful!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

astrofluff wrote: »
    I'm putting two and two together again....could be the beginning of something beautiful!

A fibre-connected pizza van? Pretty sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

Got a text from UPC this evening to say that the problem with my service has been resolved. Broadband working much better for sure. 23mb download speed currently. Gonna give the technician who promised 150mb by Friday a call tomorrow to see how they're getting on with the upgrade. Still very much a sceptic until I see it but at least things seem to be running much better now with the broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Mine is better tonight too but still way off the mark of what I am actually paying for.

3334092548.png

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Just for a laugh here is the speed I just got

3334162825.png

Generally it is improved tonight, running between 12-15 mb.

• Advertisement

I'm back to normal, lol

3334241903.png

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

3334283428.png

I'm in the Wood, it's been bad but now good :)

zanador wrote: »
    3334283428.png

I'm in the Wood, it's been bad but now good :)

I'm wood too and getting nowhere near that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭Drweavil

While the packet loss problem continues, any speed tests that are run will show a different result every time.

Drweavil wrote: »
    While the packet loss problem continues, any speed tests that are run will show a different result every time.

Yes, I am getting no consistency from tests.

• Advertisement

3334301190.png

Just did it again - still significantly higher than Lein, though, and ping very fast

My latest.

3334306353.png

LEIN wrote: »
    My latest.

3334306353.png

Why is it so much slower than mine?

I havent a notion.

Here is a result after a reboot of all of my equipment.

It's up and down like a yoyo.

3334319626.png

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Heres mine again:

3334325178.png

Agree about the packet loss, been that way for awhile

Why is it so much slower than mine?
    I know that this may sound a bit odd but....It's not slower :) Your connection has the same bandwidth it always had, the problem is in the traffic itself. The traffic is losing data as it travels across the network. It's a bit like sending a book through the post and at each post office en route, someone rips out a page. You still get the book delivered, but important pieces are missing and each time you send a book it rips out different pages.

This can be further complicated as often the address to which you're sending the book can be lost too, resulting in errors and a failure to deliver. That's why you see random peaks and troughs in the speed tests and why we get stuttered performance in streaming video/games or in many cases the connection request just dies.

I know that this may sound a bit odd but....It's not slower :) Your connection has the same bandwidth it always had, the problem is in the traffic itself. The traffic is losing data as it travels across the network. It's a bit like sending a book through the post and at each post office en route, someone rips out a page. You still get the book delivered, but important pieces are missing and each time you send a book it rips out different pages.

This can be further complicated as often the address to which you're sending the book can be lost too, resulting in errors and a failure to deliver. That's why you see random peaks and troughs in the speed tests and why we get stuttered performance in streaming video/games or in many cases the connection request just dies.

Ah, that kind of makes sense

Ah, that kind of makes sense

Glad to be of assistance :)

UPC are saying on twitter that everything is now running normal and the Greystones issue is resolved. Can anyone confirm? I'm at work and won't be home until later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

So if they have now fixed the issue was all that upgrade talk just to keep us in a good mood??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

hope I haven't just jinxed myself though….

I'm running traces now and there are demonstrable improvements with minimal packet loss.

I'm going to keep my traces running today as I've conf calls that will continue until after midnight. I should have enough info from that soak to verify if this fix is real or just another blip.

An un-marked white van at the Charlesland roundabout this afternoon while was passing...not sure what they are working at so could be totally unrelated. One things for sure, I have yet to see a reel of fibre being routed.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nummus

unmarked white vans also spotted on Eden Gate last few days. I think i saw someone with a UPC jumper on in one of them, not 100% though.

All I've seen are Eircom vans.....

After doing several tests, speed seems to be a lot better but still no consistent results with a couple of tests failing due to dropped connections.

Mine is back to normal! :o

3336583783.png

For the record, earlier results were between 15Mb an 31Mb

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nummus

Completely down here in Eden gate at the moment. No phone no broadband.

nummus wrote: »
    Completely down here in Eden gate at the moment. No phone no broadband.

Make sure you log the issue on one of the talk too threads as they have flagged the on going issues as resolved!

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Gargamello

Also as I said the other day raise the issue on twitter (@UPCIreland) and/or facebook with UPC.
    The more people that raise this issue publicly the better.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

While out walking the dog tonight I passed by where I saw the white van parked up at the CHarlesland roundabout. The manhole they were at has UPC marked on it. At the time the van was there, I did see about 4 black cables coming from the back of the van, each cable no bigger than saw a garden hose, but all strapped together going into the manhole. It shall be interesting if UPC deliver on their promise tomorrow!

Advertisement